It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transgo kit
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

HI, I ordered a Transgo kit and plan on installing it this weekend. I was reading last night that the CRD computer will slowly defeat by adjustments what the Transgo kit is designed to accomplish. I called Transgo and a tech told me that the more advanced kit (the HD, which I ordered) has no real benefits over the standard kit (the SK). And that the computer will (in time) learn how to defeat the benefits of the Kit by bringing things back to stock preformance levels.
So, those who have installed Transgo kits: What is your long term experiance? 6 months down the road has your transmission preformance returned to stock levels?
Please Think about it and respond.

Post subject: Re: Transgo kit
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:44 pm 
LOST Addict

I have two CRDs. One with the kit and one without. In normal city driving I can't tell the difference. They shift exactly the same. Under hard accelaration the one with the shift kit does shift harder, but it doesn't snap your neck.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:48 pm 
LOST Member

Apparently the kit will also fix a problem in the pump. over time, it creates a bore hole and will help accelerate the death of the Torque Converter.

I have the reprograming kit...and yes, when you get on it...it shifts differently.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The SK is a "repair" kit for the valve body and the pump he include one big spring and you use it only if one of the original broke or get a bit to soft... The HD is a reprograming kit with more parts and the secret magic weapon! A cheap resitor! :mrgreen:

Samco/OME/Bilstein/JBA4.5/Mattech BTA Machined trans valve body
/BF rugged terrain 245/75/16 on MOAB

ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Did mine myself when I installed the SunCoast Converter. The TCM will learn around the resistor, but not the rest of the KIT. I do feel the difference and still do, no more of the "I am not sure I want to shift crap". If you want the effect of the resistor rig up a switch that by passes the resistor except when you want to humiliate an idiot next to you at a stop light.
The valve and springs for the front pump are the fix for the pump and not a lot more work than just swapping the front pump. For putting in the rest of the Transgo kit, keep every thing clean, you have ~50 bolts you will need to remove to get at the valves, unless you have done it before, plan on taking your time, have your honey and kids not bug you, shut off the cell phone, and don't answer the land line, you don't want the interruptions between steps. Make sure you use the stronger valve plate Transgo supplies.
I would not give mine up.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

I installed the HD kit, but I chose not to use the resistor. The kit shifts almost like stock under normal driving conditions, but when accelerating hard, the shift are much firmer and more precise. I like the results from the kit. FYI, I needed almost 11 quarts of transmission fluid when I installed the kit, and changed all the filters.

-Gold 2005 Jeep KJ CRD:
GDE hot tune, Euro TC, Cat delete with magnaflow stainless muffler, AFE P.G. 7 air filter, 245/70/16 General Grabber AT2's, EBC dimpled/slotted rotors with Greenstuff 6000 pads,
-Blue 1998 BMW 540i Sport
-Polaris Metalic 1985 BMW M635csi
-Black 2004 Moto Guzzi V11 Lemans

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

FYI With my Extra Deep PML Pan and SunCoast converter it took 17 Qts after doing the Transgo.
When you get it back together, let the engine idle in Park for 30 seconds, then in reverse 30 seconds with your foot on the brake, then drive a few blocks slowly in each gear, recheck fluid, then drive hard. After a few weeks you have trained your TCM.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle