It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: RESURRECTION!!!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Quote:
Yes it works, Mine is set to cut in at 8psi boost pressure with a steady flow, I feel that a progressive/ variable system would work better for the CRD. No gain in MPG with my setup.

Where did you place the water/ methanol tank? Could you post pictures?

Thanks

GDE Hot Tune
GDE Transmission Towing Tune
Suncoast Torque Converter
Transgo Shift Kit
Muffler Delete
Stant 195 inline t-stat

Post subject: Re: water/methanol injection in the CRD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:16 am 
LOST Newbie

"Those Diesel powered ships burn Bunker C a real thick oil with much longer carbon chains. Some of them like the FM OP use #2 Diesel for pilot ignition just to get the Bunker C to start burning. The tricks the guy is trying sound interesting, but it will be a while before we have a water emulsion at our #2 fuel pumps."

Plus some of those engines also operate at a much lower RPM and also at a more or less constant RPM.....making them MUCH more prone to buildup problems caused by poor combustion.....

'56 Chevy 210....All Aluminum Twin Turbo Small block with 2400H/P AND License Plates!! 8)

Post subject: Re: RESURRECTION!!!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:15 am 
LOST Member

j_humph wrote:
Quote:
Yes it works, Mine is set to cut in at 8psi boost pressure with a steady flow, I feel that a progressive/ variable system would work better for the CRD. No gain in MPG with my setup.

Where did you place the water/ methanol tank? Could you post pictures?

Thanks

I used the existing wwf tank.

06 LIMITED 100000miles, MAGNAFLOW, HOMEBUILT CCV FILTER, POLAR PAD, 02 AIRBOX, CUMMINS LIFT PUMP, SEGR, PILLAR GAUGE POD, CAT FILTER MONITOR, SPYDER TRAX, ALWAYS A LITTLE TWO STROKE OIL OR BIO, WATER/METH INJECTION

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:22 am 
LOST Newbie

I have really been thinking about this to as the Liberty is our Trip vehicle and was looking more into the MPG end than power, I have already done my exhaust 2.5" straight pipe, EHM, and unplugged my EGR. We average about 28MPG at 67MPH so its not bad but if i could break 30MPG at 70-75MPH I think it would be perfect.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:10 pm 
LOST Member

The EGTs that these CRDs pull (1300+) make it seem like a mild dose of meth could be a positive thing. Especially when towing heavy or pulling long passes.

I have played with meth injection on my F-350 and it was well worth the effort for the gains. It only comes on when heavily boosted and it uses very little meth unless I am pulling 12K over mountain passes. Not sure it has helped the mileage any. I use a 300cc injector, which is very conservative.

The biggest downfall to installing on the CRD is finding space to mount everything. A good high pressure pump (200-250 psi) is necessary and they are bigger than you would think. While the progressive might be nice I like simplicity and would probably just use a simple boost activated system like my truck has. Set it to 10-12 psi and see how it does. Probably start with 300 cc injectors too. (Cause I'm a puss like that. :mrgreen: )

Definitely talking post-intercooler injection here. Pre-turbo could overspeed your turbo and make life expensive.

Like lots of things, I think meth in moderation could be good for the 'lil tractor. Too much and BOOM! :banghead: :CAMPING:

:2cents:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:09 am 
LOST Newbie

I was thinking about the snow MAX MPG or Stage III and setting it to come in around 5 PSI and use some small nozzles so it had just enough flow at cruising speed to keep everything good and cool but have enough left over when pulling a trailer to keep the temps down. I think that is going to be the benefit of a progressive controller. My other idea was using a N2O intercooler sprayer to keep temps down but that is just way to expensive and to many issues with having a tank like that in a daily driver. Water is cheap and safe to transport as well as keep in a vehicle with kids so that is why I am pretty set on the water/meth idea.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:28 am 
LOST Newbie

Really interested in installing a kit on my CRD. What are some of the advantages (those of you who have it on their CRD) of having water/meth injection? Which kit is recommended? Has anyone ever seen/heard of the DEVILSOWN kits? Check them out.....all meth kits seem to be the same basically....just based off what tank you wanna use and how much gph you wanna flow.....?

Any further info would be awesome! BTW, my flash tool is on its way from GDE(getting HOT tune)!!! :mrgreen:

-SunCoast CRD Converter
-2.5" straight pipe
-Rough Country 3" lift
-Cooper STT 245's

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:26 am 
LOST Newbie

Well this is the problem I dont think anyone posted up saying they were using Water/Meth on a CRD yet some of us have used it on larger Diesel's before and are contemplating it for our smaller motors but we are just not sure its worth it. I am probably going to be using a Snow performance stage III kit, I have heard of devils own but have not seen as many positive reviews on there kit. If you check out some of the big forums, PowerstrokeNation or Powerstroke.org or Cummins forums, you will be able to find more kit reviews. I like the Snow kits because they have progressive controllers capable of injecting off of boost or egt so if boost hits first it will inject or if egt hits first it will inject. They also allow for a smoother injection curve say start injecting at 8PSI at 25% all the way up to full boost at 90% injection rate or how ever you chose to set it up. The benefits most people look for are not in this order as each person has there own goals but these are mine in order 1. Lower EGT's, 2. Better MPG, 3. An increase in HP/TQ and that will be in respect to your water/meth ratio and injector size and flow rate and how much you can pump before you start to quench the motor.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:59 am 
LOST Member

Nice appraisal. I agree and would prioritize my goals the same way.

Chasing #3 is what gets most guys in trouble, so I will stick to #1 and #2- let #3 fall where it may. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:35 am 
LOST Newbie

Any progress from anyone here? The Snow mpg kit looks great though pricey.

I had an AEM kit on a Cummins and loved it...even just water gave a nice torque surge and it cleans the combustion chambers.

My primary purpose would be cooler EGT when towing and a small power gain (I regularly tow 4-5000 lbs).
Of course I would love better mpg also!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

If someone were to inject where would they do it would the map and it’s function of reading temp in the intake effect engine functionality?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:00 pm 
LOST Member

A bit late in seeing this.
I ran a snow kit on mine. It was on a gas race car but I had it and used it on the crd.
It had its own map sensor and progressive control unit. I used the smallest nozzle I could get installed just after the throttle body.
I had spray starting at 15 psi and fully on at 20.
My reason for installing it was to keep egt down when towing, before I had to manually shift down and keep the revs high to keep egt safe
I couldn't tell if any mpg difference but it was way better to drive with the water.

PS. I used water only no methanol

Straight through exhaust
Airtex fuel pump
2 micron filter
2" lift

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:12 am 
LOST Newbie

Got you. I picked up an AEM for towing but ran across a thread with gmctd that was commenting on the map sensor monitoring temp, for air charge I’m assuming, and wasn’t sure if plumbing nozzle pre map would funk with the ecm map. I’m pulling the intake so I figure I could look to see if it was possible to get them in post map sensor or if it really matters.
Hey how much would you use while towing? I was thinking of plumbing into the wash reservoir or mounting something behind the steel bumper.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:01 pm 
LOST Member

My setup was a Snow but I see that the model I have is discontinued.
I didnt notice any ill effects of the injection pre map sensor but I used the smallest nozzle available.
I only had the small tank supplied with the kit, it was a pain, only lasted about 2 hours of heavy going.
I think it would be better if there was some sort of temperature as well.

Straight through exhaust
Airtex fuel pump
2 micron filter
2" lift