It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fluid amounts for drain and refill CRD autotranny
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Is there a plug to drain, amounts of fluid needed. I just checked my dip stick and level is at HOT even though she has not been started for day. Maybe just drain some out?

Post subject: Re: Fluid amounts for drain and refill CRD autotranny
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:21 pm 
LOST Member

kiasoul wrote:
Is there a plug to drain, amounts of fluid needed. I just checked my dip stick and level is at HOT even though she has not been started for day. Maybe just drain some out?

Did you check it with the engine running and in park?
There is no drain plug on the transmission pan, but you can make a vacuum recovery bottle and suck it out of the fill tube.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

My tranny took almost 11 quarts when I changed the fluid, filters, and installed a trans-go shift kit. It will probably take 8-9 quarts if you dont remove the valve body to install a shift kit. It will continue to drain for a really long time, several hours in fact. I only lost about 1 quart when I installed the euro torque converter on a separate occasion. I used Mr gaskets, "the right stuff" when I reinstalled the pan. Make sure you let the sealant dry for several hours before refilling the transmission even if the bottle says that you can place the equipment directly into service after installation. Ask me how I know this!! The pan is completely submerged in fluid after you refill the transmission, and the fluid will not allow the sealant to fully cure when fully submerged. The second time I installed the pan a few days later, I did it exactly the same as the first but I let the sealant cure for 3+ hours before refilling the transmission, and voila! No more seepage. I also used Redline C + ATF fluid which satisfies Chryslers ATF+4 requirements.

-Gold 2005 Jeep KJ CRD:
GDE hot tune, Euro TC, Cat delete with magnaflow stainless muffler, AFE P.G. 7 air filter, 245/70/16 General Grabber AT2's, EBC dimpled/slotted rotors with Greenstuff 6000 pads,
-Blue 1998 BMW 540i Sport
-Polaris Metalic 1985 BMW M635csi
-Black 2004 Moto Guzzi V11 Lemans

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

I checked the level with jeep sitting unused for day. Level was on hot should be cold correct. These autotranny tough to check accurate. I tried starting method on couple toyotas and had no luck getting it right fluid amount.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:32 pm 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

Engine and tranny temps should at operating temp, not cold.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

But if I drove the jeep around awhile left it running in neutral that's the time to check level? Should it go up more than hot. Again I checked the level with jeep cold sitting outside engine off, level showed on hot high side. Jeep has 75k miles and never had autotranny fluid changed or filter. I did add couple quarts after the f37 and is why Im thinking its overfilled plus fact it's showing on hot side when not driven.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:34 pm 
LOST Member

The engine needs to be running and in park to check fluid level. If the engine is not running, the pump is not running, and all of the fluid will drain back to the pan. It will read higher when not running.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

With my Transgo Kit, the SunCoast converter, and the Extra deep PML pan, mine took 17 Quarts to refill.
It took me several around town trips and checking the level in neutral after driving to get the proper level. Idling in the drive way after assembly it only could take 11 Quarts, the next six had to work its' way into where it goes.

When I add a larger trans Oil Cooler it will take even more.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:51 am 
LOST Newbie

Can someone go check there jeep tranny level for me? Like what does it show cold not started were is level? Start up jeep drive around head home leave it running in park then check again and post results of level.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:18 am 
LOST Member

I would do as suggested above and focus on where it is when at running temp. I can tell you mine is exactly where it should be when warm so I'm not concerned about a cold level. . . since all sources say to check it hot with the engine running.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:11 am 
Banned For Abuse on LostJeeps.com

Exactly. The cold fluid level isn't doing or telling anything. He might have a split hose, and the TC is draining back when it is cold. That would make a cold level higher. The only level worth concidering in a hot level.

Could the Aztecs have known, that in 2012 after a 4 year experiment, our country would cease to exist?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok just checked mine here is something I learned on Chrysler tranny. When cold not started fluid level is at hot mark. Then started it drops to cold level high mark, interesting. Think my level is perfect maybe just slightly high.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:39 pm 
LOST Addict

kiasoul wrote:
Ok just checked mine here is something I learned on Chrysler tranny. When cold not started fluid level is at hot mark. Then started it drops to cold level high mark, interesting. Think my level is perfect maybe just slightly high.

That's because the Cold level doesn't mean to check it with the engine off and fluid cold. It means engine running and fluid cold. Either way, checking it hot, on a level surface, running in park is the most accurate way.