It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fed up already ....
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's funny how I never had a problem with my XJ and this CRD is starting to be a pos. I got a phone call from the dealership asking how happy I was with it, which opened a can of worms. Long story short I took it in to get the filter replaced on the transmission and to get the computer reflashed with newer updates. On my way there the darn CD player quits changing cd's, songs, and ejecting or loading cd's. I call them this morning to let them know it has that problem and they want to blame it on me using burned CD's instead of regular music CD's. So we're going to see if they do anything about that.

I don't see the issue, but it does seem like my CRD is going to see a lot of the shop. Yippee! SOLD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:35 pm 
LOST Member

We've already been through the XJ vs CRD thing here:

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... order=asc&

This is the FIRST model year of the CRD. The XJ has been around effectively unchanged since '83. That means Jeep had 16 years to fix problems w/ the XJ before yours was built. Of course they figured stuff out in that time. Besides, the motor in the XJ has been around since the 50's. Nothing too high tech there. The CRD is brand new stuff for Jeep engineers. Sure, they have had some help from DC Europe but they're still figuring stuff out.

I don't think a xmission recall (mine had the same) and a malfunctioning CD player is all that big of a deal (others on this board have had REAL problems). But the bottom line is that if you don't like your CRD then sell it. You're not going to get a pity party here. For me, the 7 year/70k warranty allowed me to accept buying a first model year vehicle. I normally wait until at least year 2 of a new model before buying (that's what I'm doing w/ the new Corvette).

Anyway, we all talk about our problems as that's how we learn to fix/modify things to our liking. You obviously didn't think the XJ was perfect as you've modified yours. Does that mean it's a POS? Sure, basic stuff should work and as far as I know DC has been fixing what's been broken (grumpy dealer service managers aside).

So in the end the decision is up to you. Stay and contribute or go.

PS: Have my CRD up in the mountains skiing this wkend and she's been running and handling like a dream. I'm still very happy w/ my purchase :)

GDE Eco Tune and DPF delete
CB Engineering DPF delete pipe
EHM

Past (sold to Mountainman):
2005 Patriot Blue Liberty CRD Limited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:47 pm 
LOST Junkie

Not that my experience is better than anyone elses, but in just over 16k miles I have had no problems other than the dreaded EGR at 10k which was fixed under warranty. They also did a reflash at the same time-the whole thing took about 90mins. I did change out the lousy tires, but that was my choice. So, other than oil changes (free for life) the crd has been back to the dealer only once in the 10 months I have had it. It is not the best vehicle I have ever had, but it is far from a POS and seems equal to my XTERRA which I traded for the CRD. In addition, my XTERRA never got better than 17.5 mpg and often showed 14-15mpg. So, even with dielsel being about 10% more than regular (now) I am still way ahead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

grywlfbg wrote:
We've already been through the XJ vs CRD thing here:

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... order=asc&

This is the FIRST model year of the CRD. The XJ has been around effectively unchanged since '83. That means Jeep had 16 years to fix problems w/ the XJ before yours was built. Of course they figured stuff out in that time. Besides, the motor in the XJ has been around since the 50's. Nothing too high tech there. The CRD is brand new stuff for Jeep engineers. Sure, they have had some help from DC Europe but they're still figuring stuff out.

I don't think a xmission recall (mine had the same) and a malfunctioning CD player is all that big of a deal (others on this board have had REAL problems). But the bottom line is that if you don't like your CRD then sell it. You're not going to get a pity party here. For me, the 7 year/70k warranty allowed me to accept buying a first model year vehicle. I normally wait until at least year 2 of a new model before buying (that's what I'm doing w/ the new Corvette).

Anyway, we all talk about our problems as that's how we learn to fix/modify things to our liking. You obviously didn't think the XJ was perfect as you've modified yours. Does that mean it's a POS? Sure, basic stuff should work and as far as I know DC has been fixing what's been broken (grumpy dealer service managers aside).

So in the end the decision is up to you. Stay and contribute or go.

PS: Have my CRD up in the mountains skiing this wkend and she's been running and handling like a dream. I'm still very happy w/ my purchase :)

Thanks! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Let's see...is the CRD really worth it? I just finished a 150 mile trip, on the same Interstate I used to make the same trip on twice a day, for a year, in my 02 Liberty LTD. 4X4. It averaged 18 mpg - with an occasional 19 mpg if I babied it. The CRD mileage? 30 mpg! And that was at a pretty good clip, fast acceleration on the on ramps. Yes, it was worth it.

But if it really bothers you that badly, I agree with the other poster - sell it and buy a used XJ. Whatever makes you happy. Life is too short to waste it being upset with your vehicle.

BTW - that transmission recall was for a filter replacement... something you should do at 60K anyway.

IronMan Lift/Shocks/Provent/Moog ball joints/ V6 Airbox/Fan/Hayden
Cobalt Boost/EGT/Oil/Trans/Volt gauges/Aeroturbine 2525
Yeti Hot Tune/Odessey 65/Samco's/Michelin Defenders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I know about the recall. It's not a big deal it's just annoying. I am planning on selling it, but that's only because personal preference. I like it, but I'm not going to deal with it in the shop every 6000 miles. Who knows if that's going to be the case, but better to get out of it now then when it has 100k on it and not worth anything.

I was just posting out of frustration. That's cool that you have seen 30mpg. I haven't seen anything better then 22mpg. If I saw that 30mpg on a regular basis it would be a good reason to keep it, thats for sure!

I mean DC isn't going to replace my Stereo, because they say they have a TSB stating not to use burned CD's in the Stereo. Kinda stupid, but I guess that is what you get when you buy a vehicle these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:41 am 
LOST Addict

I had mine almost a month and seem to be perfect so far. I don't have the good MPG yet but it is far from broken in. I had to get rid of a 2005 Dodge Magnum RT that the front end pulled and couldn't be fixed. I'm expecting better luck with this CRD.

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:23 am 
LOST Member

Ranger1 wrote:
Let's see...is the CRD really worth it? I just finished a 150 mile trip, on the same Interstate I used to make the same trip on twice a day, for a year, in my 02 Liberty LTD. 4X4. It averaged 18 mpg - with an occasional 19 mpg if I babied it. The CRD mileage? 30 mpg! And that was at a pretty good clip, fast acceleration on the on ramps. Yes, it was worth it.

I only dream about getting that type of mileage. Mine gets a whopping 19.5 mpg. I'm VERY disappointed in the mileage that this pig gets - and no it's not my first diesels. I've been driving diesels since the early eighties. The transmission shudder is also very annoying because it can't be good for the long term health of the transmission. Then there is the clunking sound the rear axel makes when backing it up first thing in the morning. Overall it's very disappointing to have these types of drive train issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:39 am 
LOST Addict

I've owned compact trucks, full size trucks, and cars....and this Jeep CRD gets better mileage than ANY vehicle I've ever owned. So, I can't complain one bit there.

17,000 miles and zero major problems. Mine has been in the shop for small annoying things...tranny shifter replacement, fog light replacement, reflash, etc. But you are going to have that stuff with any new vehicle you buy. So to say it's a POS and worth selling just because of minor things like that would be wrong. You are under bumper to bumper warranty for 36,000 miles...give it a chance to get all the bugs worked out.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Reggie wrote:
Ranger1 wrote:

I only dream about getting that type of mileage. Mine gets a whopping 19.5 mpg. I'm VERY disappointed in the mileage that this pig gets - and no it's not my first diesels. I've been driving diesels since the early eighties. The transmission shudder is also very annoying because it can't be good for the long term health of the transmission. Then there is the clunking sound the rear axel makes when backing it up first thing in the morning. Overall it's very disappointing to have these types of drive train issues.

My transmission shudder was fixed it seems by the flash update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:58 am 
LOST Member

Reggie wrote:

Which xmission shudder are you experiencing? The "first thing in the morning" violent shudder or the 55-60mph torque converter shimmy? the first has a TSB out on it. It was performed on mine and has been perfect ever since. The 55-60mph shudder has supposedly been cured by a 2006 model reflash. Dig through the xmission shudder threads. Would love to hear of someone else talking their dealer into flashing an '06 build into their '05 and if it fixes the problem.

As for the axle, is it a Trac-Lock rear? Maybe they forgot to add the anti-slip additive? Or perhaps it's just low on oil?

Finally, early on someone had brakes that were dragging. Such that his CRD wouldn't even roll down his driveway when put in neutral. I'd do a quick roll check as well. Also, decreased mileage has been seen prior to EGR failure. Even if you don't have a CRD, have someone check for any codes - the EGR may be gone.

GDE Eco Tune and DPF delete
CB Engineering DPF delete pipe
EHM

Past (sold to Mountainman):
2005 Patriot Blue Liberty CRD Limited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:47 pm 
LOST Member

The transmission "shudder" is the 53 to 60 mph thing after brisk acceleration. I've already had it into the dealer once for it and they gave me the normal "can not duplicate" answer. The rear axel is a Trac-loc and it only does it when cold. I'll be changing the fluid at 15k so I'll see if that helps. Does Autozone still do the free scan thing? If so I'll see if there are any EGR codes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:04 pm 
LOST Member

I've had the EGR valve replaced as well as the torque convertor in my CRD. My dealer has treated me well......I bought my 2003 Dodge RAM 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 CTD from them new in March of 2003 and the Limited 4x4 CRD new in April 2005......both totaling over $69k new MSRP (obviously no one pays MSRP) and I've sent them 4 new customers over that time frame, too. Sure, it's disgruntling to have a new vehicle in a shop, but it happens. I still get a poop-eating grin every time I hear the VGT spool up and feel the push in the seatback in the CRD after I've been in the Neon or the CTD for a bit. Even with what few problems I've experienced with the CRD, I still absolutely love it. All that has to do with the way my dealer has treated me.
Greg

*SOLD*2005 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 CRD, Bright Silver Metallic, Dk/Lt Slate Gray Leather w/bun warmers, 5 spd auto, 22G pkg, Trailer Tow, 3.73 Rear Axle w/Trac-Lok Differential, P235/70R16 Firestone Destination LE's, Power Sunroof, Selec-Trac 4WD, Infinity 6-Disc In-Dash, Magnaflow #15870 System.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, I thought that my tranny torque converter shudder was fixed with the reflash designed for the '06, but it seems that it simply moved it to between 60 and 65mph. Am taking it back in to the dealer on Thurs. which is when the appt they gave me on Mon. is. I hope they can get this fixed. I am beyond annoyed! I figure that the reason we are having torque converter and trans problems is because of the shudder problem. Even though I may be dogged here for saying this I will anyway. I am not used to having problems with cars especially new I know it happens and I know it happens with every brand, but I have never had it happen to me and I have purchased 5 brand new cars all but 1 being Toyota's the other being a Honda and although I hate the Honda and love the Jeep I have to say that we have owned the Honda several monthes longer than the Jeep and it has yet to go back to the Dealer for anything! I am not downing Jeep or DC, I am however very upset that the most expensive car we have ever purchased and the one I picked specifically and like the most is giving us so many problems. Not to mention that I had to buy an extended warranty to have a car less than a week after I bought a $26 thousand vehicle. I am also disgusted by being put in darn pi$$y stupid Neons when I bought a Liberty! I am ready to call the attorny! I have had this thing less than 2 months and it has been in the shop 3 times and before it sees 2 months in my driveway it will have been in the shop for atleast 4 times, I am also really tired of hearing "Could not duplicate" if I hear it again I may puke right on the service advisor!

sorry for the long post just needed to vent, all in all I love my Jeep just wish they could fix it!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:19 pm 
LOST Addict

Boy, I sure hope that all the problems from 05 are fixed in the 06 models.

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:38 pm 
LOST Addict

BlackLibertyCRD wrote:
Boy, I sure hope that all the problems from 05 are fixed in the 06 models.
No problems with our '05, but it is a late build for '05, July and not sure of day, but sometimes stuff just happens. I querried the service mgr today about the relibality of the CRD and was told that they have only seen them in for oil changes is all and the dealer hasn't even gotten in a '06 CRD as yet.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:19 am 
spottyrecordkj wrote:
Well, I thought that my tranny torque converter shudder was fixed with the reflash designed for the '06, but it seems that it simply moved it to between 60 and 65mph. Am taking it back in to the dealer on Thurs. which is when the appt they gave me on Mon. is. I hope they can get this fixed. I am beyond annoyed! I figure that the reason we are having torque converter and trans problems is because of the shudder problem. Even though I may be dogged here for saying this I will anyway. I am not used to having problems with cars especially new I know it happens and I know it happens with every brand, but I have never had it happen to me and I have purchased 5 brand new cars all but 1 being Toyota's the other being a Honda and although I hate the Honda and love the Jeep I have to say that we have owned the Honda several monthes longer than the Jeep and it has yet to go back to the Dealer for anything! I am not downing Jeep or DC, I am however very upset that the most expensive car we have ever purchased and the one I picked specifically and like the most is giving us so many problems. Not to mention that I had to buy an extended warranty to have a car less than a week after I bought a $26 thousand vehicle. I am also disgusted by being put in darn pi$$y stupid Neons when I bought a Liberty! I am ready to call the attorny! I have had this thing less than 2 months and it has been in the shop 3 times and before it sees 2 months in my driveway it will have been in the shop for atleast 4 times, I am also really tired of hearing "Could not duplicate" if I hear it again I may puke right on the service advisor!

sorry for the long post just needed to vent, all in all I love my Jeep just wish they could fix it!!!!

I traded in a Honda Element EX for my CRD - my CRD has been way more reliable. The Element had the entire front end replaced at only 500 miles because it started to bleed power steering fluid from the front end...

My parents had a new VW golf that had many, many major problems in the first 20k miles, and after that was all fixed it's still running problem free at over 250k miles.

I'm sure I'll have problems too, just don't know when.

Chin up, it'll get better for ya... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:32 am 
LOST Newbie

Well, I talked to the stealership and they had to order a Mass Air Flow sensor seems that mine has gone bad at about 4k miles and that is most likely why I have been seeing 19-20 mpg. I hope it fixes the 60-65 shudder. I really hope so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:14 pm 
LOST Addict

spottyrecordkj wrote:
Well, I talked to the stealership and they had to order a Mass Air Flow sensor seems that mine has gone bad at about 4k miles and that is most likely why I have been seeing 19-20 mpg. I hope it fixes the 60-65 shudder. I really hope so.
My MAF failed at about 400 miles and set a code and the dealer replaced it and I haven't had any other problem other then the recall for the slow shifting when cold that required replacing the trans oil cooler filter. Yes these CRD's have two filter in the tranny and a cooler.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine