It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Biodiesel?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:51 pm 
LOST Member

On biodiesel websites, I noticed a bunch of biodiesel retailers in the Midwest and the South. From what I can find, there are 3 available in AZ, and none are in the population centers. Does anyone have additional information?

What are the advantages of B20 over dinodiesel, as it applies to my vehicle? How does B5, B20, B100 react differently in the CRD? The CRD comes from the factory with B5. I notice most of you are running B20, is that choice, cost or availability?

Post subject: Re: Biodiesel?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:08 pm 
Zonie wrote:
On biodiesel websites, I noticed a bunch of biodiesel retailers in the Midwest and the South. From what I can find, there are 3 available in AZ, and none are in the population centers. Does anyone have additional information?

What are the advantages of B20 over dinodiesel, as it applies to my vehicle? How does B5, B20, B100 react differently in the CRD? The CRD comes from the factory with B5. I notice most of you are running B20, is that choice, cost or availability?

I'm not sure "most of us" are running anything consistiently other than regular #2 due to availability. Only B2 and B5 have nationally accepted testing standards - above that and your on your own to find a good reliable supplier. Some people get clogged fuel filters running B20 and higher since biodiesel is a powerful solvent that cleans the fuel system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I run B20 pretty consistent. When I have to run anything different you can tell a little difference in performance it seems. I go to Bartkus Oil in Boulder Colorado to get B20, because I don't know where I can get anything higher. I haven't really looked and it's pointless to go out of my way imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:13 pm 
LOST Member

We run it out of choice. It's often a little more expensive than #2. But it's better for the engine (higher lubricity), better for the environment, and worse for the oil companies and OPEC. How can you go wrong? :)

I buy B100 in 55-gallon barrels and splash blend to B50. And the only reason for that is that bio is more expensive else I'd run B100 all the time.

GDE Eco Tune and DPF delete
CB Engineering DPF delete pipe
EHM

Past (sold to Mountainman):
2005 Patriot Blue Liberty CRD Limited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:36 pm 
LOST Member

I have run at least B20 in my CRD since purchase. Most of the summer I ran B99. I have 7200 miles now. I also have been using at least B20 in my Volkswagen TDI for over 55,000 miles now, with a lot of B99 use in the summers.

The hardest part is getting it. :) Now, here in Oregon, we are getting more and more pumps - so it is getting much easier. When I started a few years ago there were no retail pumps, I had to buy bulk...

Now I have a B99 pump and a B20 pump retail within a couple miles of my house. I have a B20 cardlock pump within a mile from my house, and a bulk purchase co-op a few miles away. There are two more pumps so far in the Portland metro area. Oregon has a few pumps all over the state. Most of the population centers are covered. They are working on the Oregon Coast as well....

It is growing.... Keep the faith....

Post subject: Re: Biodiesel?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:41 pm 
LOST Member

Zonie wrote:

http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodiesel/retailfuelingsites/showstate.asp?st=AZ

One in Phoenix, One in Tuscon, and One in Oracle...

Isn't Oracle the main population center of Arizona? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So how do you feel about the home biodiesel thing. the old converted water heater reactor or the fuel miester set up???

other mods coming soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:12 pm 
LOST Member

I don't have the time / energy / patience required to make my own.

I have read of all sorts of happy people making their own all over the country though. The basic rule is BE CAREFUL.

In this case it is extremely good to be ANAL. Getting something just a little wrong can make bad fuel. Fine for an old mercades that would burn watermelon rinds and be happy... But I would not want to F up my $30k brand new vehicle....

:)

I want a domestic fuel source made locally - but not necessarily *that* locally. :)

A good way to start if you are interested is to join a coop and learn the processes from others while contributing to the whole movement at the same time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:46 pm 
LOST Member

Quote:
So how do you feel about the home biodiesel thing. the old converted water heater reactor or the fuel miester set up???

The Appleseed Processer (water heater) is probably the best way to do it.

Fuel Miester. Not a very good idea. Someone making alot of money selling cheap parts that got national exposure on "Trucks"

This website is a good place to start There are some good links on this site. Some of the forums can get rather political (Bush Bashers), but good information none the less

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html

2005 Toyota Tundra V8 4X4 TRD (ebay baby!!)

1984 Jeep CJ7 (Toy)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:58 am 
LOST Newbie

Oh, no!:shock: Don't use the Journey to Forever site. No, no, no. It is not a good source at all unless you want to get into extreme politics. The instructions there aren't correct and if you do make fuel with them it won't be up to par for the CRD.

The best forum for biodiesel is http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/groupee/forums
And the best place to get good, basic to advanced instruction is: http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Also, you can try http://www.localb100.com . Got this site from an article in Home Power magazine, sells a fairly detailed book (over 100 pages) on constructing an Appleseed Reactor and making biodiesel.

You can also search the Home Power magazine website, something like over 90 articles when you search for "biodiesel".

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:59 pm 
LOST Member

Another good forum is at BiodieselNOW

http://forums.biodieselnow.com/default.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yep, those are good sites, too. Just not the JTF site.

I would like to buy biodiesel myself, but here in East Texas, it can't be sold (except to existing, grandfathered customers) because "it is high in NOX" or whatever else the dino folks say, and none of the grandfathered places are near me.
So I make my own.

It is serious stuff working with chemicals that can be hazardous - about like handling battery acid. So you have to have adequate equipment and be thoughtful and meticulous. But it isn't especially difficult. My CRD runs noticeably quieter with it, and there is no noticeable difference in performance. It is inexpensive, but rancid-oil-smelly in my garage from the little spills of raw oil. So there are pluses and minuses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:46 pm 
LOST Member

Quote:
Oh, no! Don't use the Journey to Forever site. No, no, no. It is not a good source at all unless you want to get into extreme politics. The instructions there aren't correct and if you do make fuel with them it won't be up to par for the CRD.

Some of their information needs to be updated. I wouldn't use the information there as a receipe, but only as a good general overview.

The best instructions for making Bio-D is: "BioDiesel Homebrew Guide" The Author is Maria Alovert (girl mark on the forums) she is one of the pioneers of the homebrew bio-d and has a wealth of information. Her guide is well worth the $10 she charges for it.

2005 Toyota Tundra V8 4X4 TRD (ebay baby!!)

1984 Jeep CJ7 (Toy)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:56 am 
LOST Addict

fireman1028 wrote:
The best instructions for making Bio-D is: "BioDiesel Homebrew Guide" The Author is Maria Alovert (girl mark on the forums) she is one of the pioneers of the homebrew bio-d and has a wealth of information. Her guide is well worth the $10 she charges for it.

I'll second that opinion. I ordered it off the localb100 website. Definitely worth the money.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:38 am 
LOST Member

fireman1028 wrote:
Quote:
Oh, no! Don't use the Journey to Forever site. No, no, no. It is not a good source at all unless you want to get into extreme politics. The instructions there aren't correct and if you do make fuel with them it won't be up to par for the CRD.

Some of their information needs to be updated. I wouldn't use the information there as a receipe, but only as a good general overview.

The book is great, I learned alot, but its closer to 20 dollars these days. Don't get me wrong, I'd still buy it. I also learned alot from locals met through the local yahoo group in my area. It's comforting for a noobe like me to be able to talk to a real person once in a while.

btw, I've been making homebrew for about 6 months and 12k miles. I run about b50 most of the time, more if I'm broke. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yep, GirlMark's book is OK for a self-published job. She is a dedicated, activist biodieseler who is also a welder, plumber, and handyman, so she knows whereof she speaks. The www.localb100.com web site is hers, too, so you can order a copy from there. I got a copy, lost it, and promptly ordered another, even though almost (but not all) of what she says is included in the Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial website.