It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I presume the code he pulled was P0714-TRANSMISSION TEMPERATURE SENSOR INTERMITTENT. Download a copy of the 2006 FSM from http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/ and take a look at page 21-88. Yes I know you have a 2005, same as me, but the diagnostic manuals for 2005 are separate from the 2005 FSM. I have PDF copies of the 2005 diagnostic manuals; if you want copies just shoot me an email or you can use the 2006 FSM which has the diagnostic information in the text. FYI the 2005 diagnostic also suggests low tranny fluid can be a cause; best check this as the FSM can be misleading on fluid amounts needed for various types of service. As far as I know the tranny dip stick markings are accurate but the consensus is that full fill on the oil dip stick is an overfill. For an oil change the correct amount is 6.3 qts with a standard size filter and 7qts for an oversize filter.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yes it's the P0714 code. Took it to Jeep they said transmission fluid and filter will fix it. They changed fluid and filter and reset code. The Jeep ran perfectly for two days, then the Check Engine Light came on and the transmissions started to balk in the shifts between 2 & 3rd gear. Took it back and Jeep said the Tranny's gone and overdrive is shot. Took it home. Shifts good except balk between 2-3rd and overdrive works ok as far as I can tell. Took it to Grease Monkey and they read my code again as P0714. They reset it for me and the Jeep now shifts perfectly again......until the light comes back on??

I don't think this is a transmission problem, except for whatever is popping the Check Engine Light. I'm dragging it back to Texas next week behind the motorhome and I'll get a second opinion on what the problem is. But I'm not inclined to believe the tranny's gone. I'm downloading the service manual now so thanks for the link and I'll do some reading.

What are your thoughts??

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks
I've read the noob guide.
The info has helped get my 06CRD back to "normal".
I've used the suggestions to clean hoses, MAP sensor and disconnected the MAF. Also replaced fuel and air filters and installed EHM to try and diagnose my problem with loss of power.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hey Randy,

I am having the same problem with the balking from 2 to 3, but i dont have a light on. Overdrive sometimes shifts hard when down shifting. Let me know what you come up with.

Thanks, James

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:24 am 
LOST Newbie

Excellent topic on MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) Sensor.

Removed, cleaned & reinstalled...

Thank you :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:53 pm 
LOST Junkie

Just removed cleaned and re installed mine. Wasnt as filthy as i expected for not being cleaned for at least 60,000 miles(dads not avid on all of the LOST hype about the EGR being bad), unplugged the MAF at the same time and am going to try the ORM for the next week or two to see if i like it.

A mixture of these two things smoothed out the idle A LOT, and so far up to 2500 RPM(highest i ever go) its smooth the entire time and doesnt have nearly as much turbo/engine lag as it had prior to both of these. Im hoping it increases my mileage as well, at least until i can afford to install a euro TC and then buy green diesel HOT tune :BANANA:

Procomp rockkrawlr 16x8 4.25bs with 265-70-65 General Grabber AT2's
Mopar full skid plates, JCR stage 3 Rock Rails
Kenwood HU, 6.5 pioneer marine grade door speakers, JL stealthbox kenwood amp
GDE HOT tune
Soon to come
RL Rock monitor bumper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:58 am 
LOST Newbie

Question, how often do you change the engine oil, and has anyone tried Mopar combustion chamber cleaner to clean the diesel intake, I know when I worked for Chrysler we used to do a induction service on gasers, and used it per instructions on the can, sprayed down the throttle body while engine running.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Engine oil, depends on the owner and depends on the vehicle, IMO with the EGR and EHM still all stock 3-5k miles. With a GDE tune or ORM and EHM/Provent, 7-10k.

IMO the ORM(followed closely by the EHM) is the single most important thing you can do to keep your vehicle running great for a long time.

I would be careful with an intake cleaner, we certainly don't want a runaway diesel condition.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:54 am 
LOST Member

Hey Guys,

New guy here with my first post. As of last night, Wednesday, 09/14/2011, I became the proud owner of an '05 Stone White CRD Limited. Gotta say that I could not be happier with my purchase.

I have read many of the posts here at L.O.S.T. Jeeps, especially the Noob Guide and I thank all who have contributed the copious amounts of in-depth information. You certainly have helped me feel confident that there is little if anything that I will encounter with my CRD that others have not already. This sight is a braintrust.

As suggested, prior to driving it home, I unplugged the MAF and fuel heater. Just on the drive home, fuel economy went from 20.6 to 22.3. I'm looking to increase those numbers greatly. I hope to be able to contribute what I learn along the way as well.

We'll talk to ya later,

Hoosier CRD

#1 Liberty: '05 CRD Limited Stone White
(SOLD Dec. 2013)
#2 Liberty: ???
"Why guess when you can know?"- Carroll Smith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

fantastic information contained here, makes me much more comfortable about my potential new purchase!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:28 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello

About to become a CRD owner as soon as the seller's supplier sends a NON fubar'd brake master cyl.

I have been wanting a diesel for years and now found one that excites me... so in light of the rarity, I have had some trepidation towards jumping in... Well finding this forum with the wealth of knowledge, and finding a MINT unit with seasonal usage, garage kept, and 30k miles.... you can imagine the results :JEEPIN:

Thanks Sam for putting this primer together, it along with the rest of the CRD repository here on lost has given me the confidence to go ahead and buy a vehicle I have been longing for since spending time outside of North America and meeting the cars and trucks the rest of the world is allowed to buy!

Geoff
2006 limited, Red

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited, CRD: Inferno Red. OME 2" lift, JBA 4.5 lift arms, Factory skids and tow hooks added. GDE ECOtune, Provent, Fumoto, AR TorqueThrust wheels
1999 Dodge Dakota Sport, 5.2L: Solar Yellow. SOLD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:49 am 
LOST Newbie

OK,
First,

Second,

I have cleaned the MAP ( the oily picture was Spot-On just like mine) Thanks for the info!

Third,
The reason I'm here.. We just bought the '06 2.8 CRD with 80K
and within a week I have the P0401 and P0299 codes.. and total loss of power.

Since this is a Sun. (and almost all the stores here are closed) Will be test driving it today to see if Just the MAP cleaning has made an improvement.

If anyone has a PIC of the Vac line swap to test the "boost pressure soleniod" that would help me considerably.

diesel experience one week and counting..

John

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:56 am 
LOST Newbie

Great post .. I cleaned my MAP sensor a few weeks ago now .. easy
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:28 pm 
LOST Addict

JnMrtn wrote:
OK,
First,

Second,

I have cleaned the MAP ( the oily picture was Spot-On just like mine) Thanks for the info!

Third,
The reason I'm here.. We just bought the '06 2.8 CRD with 80K
and within a week I have the P0401 and P0299 codes.. and total loss of power.

Since this is a Sun. (and almost all the stores here are closed) Will be test driving it today to see if Just the MAP cleaning has made an improvement.

If anyone has a PIC of the Vac line swap to test the "boost pressure soleniod" that would help me considerably.

diesel experience one week and counting..

John

Hi, if your sensor was oily and you now have a 0299 there is a very good chance one of your boost hoses split, take them both off, and throughly inspect them for tears, they can be difficult to see under the wrapping so you have to take the hoses off to really inspect them good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sir Sam wrote:

Hi, if your sensor was oily and you now have a 0299 there is a very good chance one of your boost hoses split, take them both off, and throughly inspect them for tears, they can be difficult to see under the wrapping so you have to take the hoses off to really inspect them good.

Update:

To Recap; P0299 and 401 before, then cleaned the sensor

Both hoses are good, ( pulled, inspected, and did a suction test) reset the codes, and ran a test drive.

Only the P0401 has returned (so far)

Edit: Monday, Took it by the dealer for the "free" service check and oil change... and Yup, they want to order up and put on a new egr valve... but they have yet to call back with a price... In the mean time, an ECO tune has been ordered and WILL be installed before I go back there... (although I may have them replace the T-stat on the aftermarket warranty as I'm running only 140F instead of 180F)

any suggestions of anything I might have missed???

JM

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:01 pm 
LOST Addict

ya if your hoses are good and your also getting the 0401 then its likely your EGR is sticking, removing it and cleaning might do it, and then in the future disable it by running the eco tune or the ORM.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sir Sam wrote:
ya if your hoses are good and your also getting the 0401 then its likely your EGR is sticking, removing it and cleaning might do it, and then in the future disable it by running the eco tune or the ORM.

I just went for the ECO. Already installed, Out for a test drive... -> place thanksgiving turkey smiliey here <--

will edit this post with results when I get back..

EDIT2: first #'s and impressions, about a 10% increase in hwy mileage, #2 t-stat, fuel filter & new fuel head now installed.
will post elsewhere with results when I figure out where it should go..

:-)

Last edited by JnMrtn on Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:43 am 
LOST Newbie

Just a quick question. Is there a way to determine whether or not it has the F37 ECM/TCM mod?

I am planning to pick up a '06 Jeep Liberty Ltd I came accross this afternoon. Just happens to be a CRD. I don't think it has ever been off road, and does not even have hitch. Appears to be all stock. Only thing the guy mentioned was a auto window recall that was taken care of. I read the nube guide and saw the F37 concerns posted.

Longer story that goes along with this find, but I will save that for a later post.

Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:39 pm 
LOST Addict

LinSpace wrote:
Just a quick question. Is there a way to determine whether or not it has the F37 ECM/TCM mod?

I am planning to pick up a '06 Jeep Liberty Ltd I came accross this afternoon. Just happens to be a CRD. I don't think it has ever been off road, and does not even have hitch. Appears to be all stock. Only thing the guy mentioned was a auto window recall that was taken care of. I read the nube guide and saw the F37 concerns posted.

Longer story that goes along with this find, but I will save that for a later post.

Thanks for the help!

Pay attention to the last gearshift as you accelerate gently onto a highway. If it happens at 58mph it does not have F37. If it happens at 61-62 mph it does.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:09 am 
LOST Newbie

Thx. Will try this wknd.

Picked it up and all looks good so far. Tight, all stock, no warning lights other than spare tire low pressure. One golf ball sz dent and 72k miles. Plan to spend a lot of time with it and digging through LOST over the Christmas holidays.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next