It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for all the great information.

Rich :JEEPIN:

GDE Hot tune and Trans Tune
Euro TC RL037142AA
Rebuilt Trans w/Transgo 68RFE
Air Box Mod
BMW oil Sep
MRBP exhaust
F-104 Fumoto valve
Hayden fan clutch

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:43 am 
LOST Newbie

Great info! Looking forward to lots of the same, thanks!!
Great site man

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:24 am 
LOST Newbie

http://colorado4wheel.com/images/misc/noobguide.jpg

Thanks for the great info!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the info! Stumbled across this site whilst looking for someone who rents tool. Looks like I have a lot more learning to do.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:48 pm 
LOST Addict

mroth_3 wrote:

Thanks for the info! Stumbled across this site whilst looking for someone who rents tool. Looks like I have a lot more learning to do.

Welcome aboard!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

ok, so I'm not a virgin anymore.

Last edited by halburchal on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

ok, so I'm not a virgin anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:17 pm 
LOST Member

Just finished reading and see there is some K&N hate around here. My girlfriend just bought a Liberty CRD Limited yesterday with a K&N filter that needs a cleaning. Should I clean it or do you guys recommend something else?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

HER_CRD wrote:

Just finished reading and see there is some K&N hate around here. My girlfriend just bought a Liberty CRD Limited yesterday with a K&N filter that needs a cleaning. Should I clean it or do you guys recommend something else?

Get a NAPA gold filter, you could spend more for Amsoil, but then you have to clean it. I just buy NAPA and replace every 10-15K

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:14 pm 
LOST Member

HER_CRD wrote:

Plenty of people here using K&N, but if you decide to wash it, make sure you oil it or it won't work properly. After a bit of research, I opted for the Napa Gold every 10/15k route, but that's just because I didn't want to mess with cleaning and oiling a reusable filter.

As Sam says, clean the MAP sensor as soon as you can. It's super easy and you'll notice the difference. I was surprised to see how it changed the feel of the vehicle and even my gas mileage.

05 CRD Limited (black), factory skids, Fumoto Valve, ARP Studs, Hayden HD fan clutch, EGR delete, Seyfert CRD Stage 2, 225/70R16, EGT gauge

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:48 pm 
LOST Member

Did that this afternoon after reading. It was gooped up just like the ones shown. Took it for a short drive around town and did seem to pull a little harder :D

I've used K&N's before and have no issue with them. Just wondering what other people do. I did see a V6 air box mod. Are there any performance gains to be had? I see it helps with filter life.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:59 pm 
LOST Junkie

HER_CRD wrote:
Did that this afternoon after reading. It was gooped up just like the ones shown. Took it for a short drive around town and did seem to pull a little harder :D

I've used K&N's before and have no issue with them. Just wondering what other people do. I did see a V6 air box mod. Are there any performance gains to be had? I see it helps with filter life.

Read the independent testing of air filters. K&N doesn't rate very well in any test I've seen Amsoil, Baldwin, AC Delco and Mobile one filters always rated high in air, fuel and oil filters as well as a few others. I have a baldwin dealer close by and have fairly easy access to Amsoil.

The K&N's have higher flow in some instances. But they also do not catch as much dirt.

Is there an air filter upgrade for these vehicles?

I don't see room for something like a GM K-47 air box. But that would be my first choice

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:15 pm 
LOST Member

jrsavoie wrote:
HER_CRD wrote:

I don't see room for something like a GM K-47 air box. But that would be my first choice

In the digging I've found so far, the only mod or upgrade is to swap out the air box for the one used on the 3.7 V6.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:45 pm 
LOST Member

HER_CRD wrote:
jrsavoie wrote:
HER_CRD wrote:

In the digging I've found so far, the only mod or upgrade is to swap out the air box for the one used on the 3.7 V6.

Correct (v6 airbox mod is the only "standard" airbox mod). I researched this, but it didn't seem worth the trouble (which isn't that involved; it just seemed like my time was better spent on mods that have more noticeable results).

05 CRD Limited (black), factory skids, Fumoto Valve, ARP Studs, Hayden HD fan clutch, EGR delete, Seyfert CRD Stage 2, 225/70R16, EGT gauge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

In the digging I've found so far, the only mod or upgrade is to swap out the air box for the one used on the 3.7 V6.[/quote]

Correct (v6 airbox mod is the only "standard" airbox mod). I researched this, but it didn't seem worth the trouble (which isn't that involved; it just seemed like my time was better spent on mods that have more noticeable results).[/quote]

My last
I ran for 800,000 miles. I'm in it for the long haul. If cleaner more abundant air gets me another 2 or 300,000 miles, that's the route for me.
what exactly is the difference between the air boxes?

I searched and didn't come up with results before I ran out of time.

I hate flat panel filters. There seems to always be way to much chance of introduction of dirt and consequently a shorter engine life.

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:55 pm 
LOST Member

jrsavoie wrote:

I hate flat panel filters. There seems to always be way to much chance of introduction of dirt and consequently a shorter engine life.

Then you won't be happy with what you'll find. The box is only slightly bigger. It still uses a flat filter. :|

Here's a mod that's a little more involved you might prefer, but it also seems problematic in more than a couple of ways (compared to an enclosed flat filter). http://liberty.eurekaboy.com/airintake.htm If you're serious about the mod and live in a place where it EVER rains (or you drive through a creek), you'd need to find a way to protect the filter from water.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:07 am 
LOST Junkie

kidjedi wrote:
jrsavoie wrote:

Then you won't be happy with what you'll find. The box is only slightly bigger. It still uses a flat filter. :|

Here's a mod that's a little more involved you might prefer, but it also seems problematic in more than a couple of ways (compared to an enclosed flat filter). http://liberty.eurekaboy.com/airintake.htm If you're serious about the mod and live in a place where it EVER rains (or you drive through a creek), you'd need to find a way to protect the filter from water.

The link looks like a very bad idea. You want a cold air intake. Not to be sucking in hot engine compartment air. Kind of defeats the inter-cooler that way.

98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:44 am 
LOST Newbie

Wow!!
This forum is incredible!!
Just bought my first 2005 CRD last week and I'm loving it!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

Wish I would have found this 2 years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

K&N filters - this was originally on one of the GM Diesel pages - but that link died - this is the same report

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next