It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

So I added a GDE Tune last night and I saw where I should go ahead with the EHM, should I do the ORM as well?

All sensor, filters are done

Thanks for the info

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:42 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

sailbeb wrote:
So I added a GDE Tune last night and I saw where I should go ahead with the EHM, should I do the ORM as well?

All sensor, filters are done

Thanks for the info

No need to do ORM now :D

Any GDE tune will accomplish the purpose of the ORM and some more perks while keeping your check engine light off.

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Arengant,

Thanks for the info

Now another question, the CRD we got for my wife to drive so now I have the 2003 VW Jetta wagon TDi. Is there a website with a similar NOOB information?

I would like to do some work on this now

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

wow! great site. I did read the guide. just cant figure out the pic thing right now. will worry about it later.

I have cleaned the MAP thing. unlplugged the thing for the ORM. Will do the EHM tomorrow.

I have had to replace the serpintine belt tensioner, and recently the alternator, the noise was horrible!!!!

What I am hearing now is different, not a clicking, more like a drag.when I accelerate it speeds up too. I know this isnt much info, but any ideas??
I know many of these issues are so common you can find youtube videos with them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

' just cant figure out the pic thing right now'

if you're on EI 6, it can't see the pictures, try Firefox or Chrome.

if you're trying to post, you have to post on a different site and link to the photo, LOST doesn't have space to host them.

And welcome to LOST

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sir Sam wrote:
4sefed wrote:
Need to add a blurb on Thermostats, and the procedure for cycling the key to get the fault codes (if there is one lol)

I've never seen anyone who actually got the key cycling thing to work, I'm pretty sure it doesn't work for any of our CRDs.

Mine worked prior to f37, maybe they disabled it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:16 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thank for all whose hard work contributed to Noob Guide.....been rereading it

Bio-Diesel when/where I can. In Houston available at http://www.houstonbiodiesel.com/ and it conforms to ASTM. They also have home brew classes!!

60 % Suburbs N. of Houston, TX - Conroe / The Woodlands Area 40 % Colorado and the West

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:54 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks a lot for this.
After six years of not owning a motor vehicle, I swallowed and purchased an '06 CRD with 42000 miles as a backup vehicle for my bicycle(yes, the other way around.).
Before I take any long trips again(drove it from Littleton where I acquired it and down to Clovis NM) I'm now rolling through this checklist while cleaning my recumbent bike chains at the same time.
All I have to say is this vehicle definitely fits my needs.

New Torque Convertor.

2005 Montague Paratrooper MTB
2001 Rans V-Rex Recumbent
1985 Schwinn World Tour, Fixed-gear

Yanking tankers full of Moo-Juice!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Welcome Bentsrider83

To lost!

bentstrider83 wrote:
Thanks a lot for this.
After six years of not owning a motor vehicle, I swallowed and purchased an '06 CRD with 42000 miles as a backup vehicle for my bicycle(yes, the other way around.).
Before I take any long trips again(drove it from Littleton where I acquired it and down to Clovis NM) I'm now rolling through this checklist while cleaning my recumbent bike chains at the same time.
All I have to say is this vehicle definitely fits my needs.

Bio-Diesel when/where I can. In Houston available at http://www.houstonbiodiesel.com/ and it conforms to ASTM. They also have home brew classes!!

60 % Suburbs N. of Houston, TX - Conroe / The Woodlands Area 40 % Colorado and the West

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello fellas - bought a 06 CRD Liberty Sport (33k miles) last week... lightly used, black, stock. LOVE IT.

I'm gonna catch up with the To-Do's here in Sam's CRD Noob Guide, which should take me a couple of weeks to complete...
... and then I'm keen to do the following mods:

GDE Eco Full Torque tune
2,5 cat-back straight exhaust muffler delete (considering turbo-back here - feedback/opinions appreciated)
high PSI (80psi) tires on 16" rims

Looking for max. MPGs, as I plan to put 200k miles on this vehicle...

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Howdy mpower69

Welcome to LOST

I realize you only have 33K miles - but you might want to start thinking about timing belts
you also have 6 almost 7 years on that belt.

Worst case I'd look at 60K (100km)
that's what Europe was running, successfully,
before the marketing dept decided that the US wanted 100K miles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:00 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks so much for this fantastic guide. I'm purchasing a 2006 CRD on Saturday, and can't wait to roll up my sleeves (hopefully on preventative maintenance, NOT existing problems).

My first question: where in the hell did mpower69 and bentstrider83 find '06's with only 33k and 42k?! The one I'm buying has 127k, and I've been looking for quite a while (110k was the lowest mileage I've seen in four months). Looks like bentsrider83 snagged his right out from under my nose just last month!!! (your post mentions driving it from Littleton, close to where I am, back down to NM) :lol:

I believe all is well with my vehicle (mostly), but the drain plug is stripped, so I'll be adding that Fumoto oil pan drain valve everyone is raving about. I think I'll likely be changing the oil/filter myself, rather than have someone else do it like with the wife's car.

The other thing I noticed when inspecting the vehicle was a good deal of oil dripping down from the turbo on the passenger side. I believe this is the turbo oil drain line issue I have seen a couple other posts on, so hopefully it's not much of an issue ($115 part?). The seller said he tightened the line and cleaned off the residue and hasn't seen any oil in the past four days --but I'm guessing he's a little biased. :shock: Buying a used car is a nerve racking experience --fingers crossed that the leak isn't anything major. Any other major things I should be worried about that people can suggest I check before forking over the cash?

Thanks to all for being active on these forums. They have been an invaluable resource and a major help in deciding to get into the CRD club (previously had a '99 Cherokee Sport that I loved).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:29 am 
LOST Addict

kidjedi wrote:
The other thing I noticed when inspecting the vehicle was a good deal of oil dripping down from the turbo on the passenger side. I believe this is the turbo oil drain line issue I have seen a couple other posts on, so hopefully it's not much of an issue ($115 part?). The seller said he tightened the line and cleaned off the residue and hasn't seen any oil in the past four days --but I'm guessing he's a little biased. :shock: Buying a used car is a nerve racking experience --fingers crossed that the leak isn't anything major. Any other major things I should be worried about that people can suggest I check before forking over the cash?

Thanks to all for being active on these forums. They have been an invaluable resource and a major help in deciding to get into the CRD club (previously had a '99 Cherokee Sport that I loved).

It could be that the turbo oil line is not leaking. Remove the hose going from the air filter box to the turbo inlet. I bet it's torn at the turbo end or nearly so, and weeping a lot of oil.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:35 pm 
LOST Member

CATCRD wrote:
It could be that the turbo oil line is not leaking. Remove the hose going from the air filter box to the turbo inlet. I bet it's torn at the turbo end or nearly so, and weeping a lot of oil.

He definitely tightened the bolts and said he didn't see any oil for the four days he owned it afterward. I haven't seen any oil since taking ownership either, so I'm hoping I'm good. I'll still check those hoses and will probably upgrade them at some point anyway. Thanks for your help!

EDIT: I took a closer look, and sure enough, both hoses are seeping oil where they attach to the turbo. darn. Looks like I'll be spending $300 on some Samcos when I buy my Provent kit (but that storm that's hammering the East Coast has IDParts.com closed today... DOH!).

05 CRD Limited (black), factory skids, Fumoto Valve, ARP Studs, Hayden HD fan clutch, EGR delete, Seyfert CRD Stage 2, 225/70R16, EGT gauge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:55 pm 
LOST Addict

kidjedi wrote:
CATCRD wrote:

He definitely tightened the bolts and said he didn't see any oil for the four days he owned it afterward. I haven't seen any oil since taking ownership either, so I'm hoping I'm good. I'll still check those hoses and will probably upgrade them at some point anyway. Thanks for your help!

EDIT: I took a closer look, and sure enough, both hoses are seeping oil where they attach to the turbo. darn. Looks like I'll be spending $300 on some Samcos when I buy my Provent kit (but that storm that's hammering the East Coast has IDParts.com closed today... DOH!).

You probably need the turbo inlet hose too, look at the end of the timing belt writeup for a pic and part number, or look at the "PSA change your turbo inlet hose"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:33 pm 
LOST Member

Sir Sam wrote:
You probably need the turbo inlet hose too, look at the end of the timing belt writeup for a pic and part number, or look at the "PSA change your turbo inlet hose"

I'll definitely check it. Thanks for the head up, Sam.

You mention buying the hose from Pro Chrysler Jeep on 104th... is that still the way to go? They just happen to be right by my house. :pepper:

My ProVent arrived today, so I'll be putting that on soon, but at 128k and reading everyone else's posts, I'm sure mine must be shot having run stock that long. Perhaps I'll get "lucky" and the previous owner addressed the situation due to necessity (failure)?

Back in 2011 in the "PSA change your turbo inlet hose" thread you were talking about contacting Samco to see about creating a replacement like they did with the CCV hoses. Did that ever happen?

05 CRD Limited (black), factory skids, Fumoto Valve, ARP Studs, Hayden HD fan clutch, EGR delete, Seyfert CRD Stage 2, 225/70R16, EGT gauge

Post subject: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:34 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks a million Sir Sam. I haven't opened a hood on a car in 30 years. . . . I bought my "Tractor" for fun and of course to piss of my spousal unit! I have followed your Noob Guide and so far the results are nothing short of amazing.
Again, thanks a million
George in the Frozen North
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Read the Noob guide and blow the seals out of your engine! :juggle:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=74236

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:04 pm 
LOST Member

flman wrote:

I don't think it stands to reason that just reading the noob guide will cause your seals to blow out. There is a lot of useful information here that Sam has been kind enough to put together for everyone. Obviously a person should be careful about what they are doing under the hood, but blaming this thread for seals blowing out on someone's vehicle is, well, kind of lame.

Pointing out that one should be REALLY careful with anything they're doing under their hood is a poignant reminder and extremely useful to the community. Simply being snarky isn't.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

kidjedi wrote:
flman wrote:

I don't think it stands to reason that just reading the noob guide will cause your seals to blow out. There is a lot of useful information here that Sam has been kind enough to put together for everyone. Obviously a person should be careful about what they are doing under the hood, but blaming this thread for seals blowing out on someone's vehicle is, well, kind of lame.

Pointing out that one should be REALLY careful with anything they're doing under their hood is a poignant reminder and extremely useful to the community. Simply being snarky isn't.

I agree, lots of good info, but there should be a warning, and I do not agree that the EHM does all those wonderful things that it is claimed to do, I would run any one of you with my dirty old MAP any day, I only took mine out once, and I will not take it out again unless it fails or does any of those terrible things that is claimed to happen with out the EHM. But since all the Map really does is compare RPM to temperature, I kind of doubt a little oil is going to affect it, and the liquid coating might actually give it better temperature transfer then dry?

BTW, never had this problem?

Quote:
When the sensor is dirty the CRD will experience decreased fuel economy, decreased power, increased turbo lag, worse drivability, hesitation etc.
:roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next