It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:08 pm 
LOST Member

GliderGuy wrote:
I have downloaded the 05 and 06 parts fiches from Colorado4wheel, and can find all the wiring harnesses. What I can't seem to find is section 8W, which appears to have the interconnection diagrams. I see people posting excerpts from it, where are they finding that?

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Its in the FSM - Factory Service Manual. Downloads are here in this thread :)

TB / WP / SAMCO Hoses - Dec '14 (93,000 miles)
Redline Synthetics (Frt/Rear Differentials) - Dec '14 (93,000 miles)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:10 pm 
LOST Member

CATCRD wrote:
jtz54 wrote:
Just getting my head gasket done with ARP studs.
Chris at Autobahn in Phoenix suggested a Provent after cleaning up my intake.
Since I'm running a GDE Eco-tune would this still be necessary. I thought the eco-tune
shuts off the EGR and CCV?

If you shut off CCV you will blow out engine seals. It can either be vented to atmosphere or filtered by a Provent (a very nice piece BTW).
If not done it will eventually rot out your intake hoses. A tune can't do this.

CAT,

Provent IS nice as long as the user understands regular maintenance will be needed. If filter gets dirty, can create a postive pressure in crankcase and blow seals.

I choose to keep current CCV as designed. I have Intake elbow and GDE Tune.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ArmyChief wrote:
CAT,

Provent IS nice as long as the user understands regular maintenance will be needed. If filter gets dirty, can create a postive pressure in crankcase and blow seals.

Provent doesn't really have a 'filter' per se - it's really more of a condensation trap - it slows the gas flow enough that the oil in suspension settles out and the only real 'maintenance'

is draining the accumulated oil (every oil change works fine)

Also the Provent has a pressure release built in.

the only negative's about the Provent are that it's large - it's sized for a much larger engine - and initial purchase is more expensive than other options.

while the GDE will prevent the pressure sensor from getting gunked up.

neither intake elbow nor GDE will keep oil out of the inter-cooler, Provent will.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:13 am 
LOST Member

ArmyChief wrote:
CATCRD wrote:
jtz54 wrote:
Just getting my head gasket done with ARP studs.
Chris at Autobahn in Phoenix suggested a Provent after cleaning up my intake.
Since I'm running a GDE Eco-tune would this still be necessary. I thought the eco-tune
shuts off the EGR and CCV?

If you shut off CCV you will blow out engine seals. It can either be vented to atmosphere or filtered by a Provent (a very nice piece BTW).
If not done it will eventually rot out your intake hoses. A tune can't do this.

CAT,

Regular maintenance? Is an oil/air separator. Has a check valve in the bottom so oil drains out. What is to maintain and why?

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:20 am 
LOST Member

I'm guessing I was corrected above. It was my understanding that the "separator" would need regular cleanings or it might get restricted. If the Provent has a pressure relief in it, then I'm thinking my assessment was correct. Why would they engineer a pressure relief if it was impossible to get restricted?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:20 pm 

ArmyChief wrote:
I'm guessing I was corrected above. It was my understanding that the "separator" would need regular cleanings or it might get restricted. If the Provent has a pressure relief in it, then I'm thinking my assessment was correct. Why would they engineer a pressure relief if it was impossible to get restricted?

It does have a coalescing filter that should be checked and cleaned at each oil change if necessary. The coalescing filter along with cyclone effect of the housing forces the oil to be separated out of the vapors and drop to the bottom of the housing to be collected where it can be drained out as needed....
This keeps the oil out of the turbo intake boot, turbo, CAC (intercooler) and boost hoses. :wink:
You can read all about it and how it functions here:
https://www.mann-hummel.com/fileadmin/user_upload/service/catalogues/pdf/ProVent_en_2013.pdf

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:27 pm 
LOST Member

So, I WAS correct in my first statement...darn :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:46 pm 

ArmyChief wrote:
So, I WAS correct in my first statement...darn :)

Only Partly, :ROTFL:
It won't blow seals, as it has a safety pressure release valve built in just in case your filter gets to dirty to pass the correct flow... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well - 120,000 miles on my Provent

and the entire 'maintenance' consists of looking at it each oil change and draining the accumulated oil

pretty sure the main issue with the pressure release - would be very cold weather and freezing moisture in the lines, not much the oil vapor would do.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

You guys know you can take the flapper out of the FCV, just like a throttle body plate. Two small screws and gone. I did that and put a freeze plug in the EGR port. CEL on but thermistor is super clean for the last 12,000 miles. No more gunk or black cloud when I accel into traffic, just go and mileage back up to 25.5 a gallon.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Read the noob guide. Recently acquired an '05 Sport with 70k. PO updated the fuel filter head, GDE ECO tune and some other goodies. The info on this board gave me the courage to pull the trigger on this deal. Look forward to many miles! :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:28 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for this great and informative post. This is an Excellent post and i would love to read it again. i will also share this information with my friends and colleagues. I am sure that the main issue with the pressure release - would be very cold weather and freezing moisture in the lines. :JEEPIN: :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:12 am 
LOST Newbie

You can read more about pressure release in Turbo Diesel vehicles on http://dieselgrossisten.no/. :)
A diesel engine is generally referred to as CI (compression ignition) engine. In a diesel engine, air is compressed by the pistons within a closed chamber by a process called adiabatic compression. :juggle:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:53 am 
LOST Newbie

Just want to say a big thanks for this page. have taken an unloved KJ and returned to a really good runner through this and other posts.

The final piece came together today with a new battery. It had been running really rich and was trying to figure that out before the battery died.

New battery and it has gone away and is running like a dream. I think the computer has reset and is now fueling correctly. So I would just add a battery disconnect as a final step after cleaning the filters, sensors, improve fuel flow with inline pump etc. My guess is that it was so used to running with all that crud that when i cleaned it it thought it needed extra fuel to with all the new air. so was overfuelling. I imagine the battery disconnect has cleared that and it is back to normal.

Worked a treat for me anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:52 am 
LOST Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:54 am 
LOST Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

I got my 2005 CRD in December. I wish a had found this before dropping $300 at the dealership for a fuel filter and diagnostic time for an engine condition I now doubt they would have a clue about. Hmm, service writer said mine was the first CRD he had ever seen. Was there a clue in there? They did find multiple o-rings on the fuel filter head, which is the newer one with the larger blue plug. I replaced the e-brake shoes when the linings separated. That made a fun noise. The upside is the rear gear oil is now changed. I went with Royal Purple 75-140. The FSM calls for 80-90 up front. Will 75-90 work? The first upgrade I plan on is Jeff's t-stat housing. This jeep never warms up. Even on some of the 70 degree days we've had the needle on the gauge has never gotten close to the half way mark. Hope I can get one before next winter. I will be checking the map sensor this weekend and changing the front gear oil and engine oil/filter in the next couple of weeks. Once I have Jeff's t-stat installed and the engine surge/drop off fixed a GDE tune will be next. My overriding desire for this Jeep is to maximize fuel economy, durability and longevity.

Driving this is WOW compared to my wife's 04 3.7 Liberty! It is such a huge difference and mine is not even running it's best yet and still has factory F37 engine re-tune. I cannot wait till this little Jeep is at it's full potential. My wife now wants a CRD as well. So there you go. This is brief but lengthy intro into my short life as a Liberty diesel owner. Darren.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

New CRD owner-2005 Liberty Sport with 139,000 miles when I bought it on a whim. Up to 142,000 now. Wife loved her 07 Liberty gasser but I sold it out from under her several years ago. Never owned a diesel before and haven't done much mechanical work since I worked at a real gas station 35 years ago. Love the NOOB guide. My Jeep has a couple issues, cruise control doesn't work and all gauges intermittently go to zero and low fuel light comes on. Turning off and on generally fixes it but haven't figured out root cause yet. Will occasionally (twice per week) die when that happens, but generally only at idle. Anyway, changed the oil and filter(filthy and drain plug stripped-previous owner fixed with a self sealing gasket one that opens and closes by hand-will be replacing with Fumoto valve next change), replaced the fuel water separator filter (previous owner had new head installed), cleaned the MAP (unbelievably sooty), stripped all the aftermarket trailer light harness out of it, removed cleaned and applied dielectic grease to cruise control connections, instrument panel connection, and BCM (at drivers side kick panel next to fuse box?) Have had battery and alternator tested and they were good. Also, early on, disconnected the negative battery terminal for 45 minutes, cleaned up, and reconnected. Couldn't (wouldn't) have done most of those things without this guide. High gas mileage before MAP clean was 26 all highway and low was 16 all city. Average driver, not too heavy footed, and generally run 5 over the speed limit. Just cleaned the MAP tonight so will see if that makes any difference.

Sorry for the longwinded intro, but I am truly excited by this CRD!

Thank you so much to all who have contributed the how to's and the pictures. Incredibly helpful.

Paul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:20 pm 
LOST Member

Haugheys5 wrote:
...Couldn't (wouldn't) have done most of those things without this guide.

Ditto. This forum is amazing. I'm handy, but I'd never really worked on cars outside of changing oil/filter a few times. With the Jeeps (we now have two), I have replaced window motors, ignition switch and actuator pin, always change our own oil/filter, changed differential fluid (front/back), installed Provents, installed lift pumps, monitor/alter info via OBDII/Torque, am learning to map and change the vehicle computer, and I'm learning more and more every day (I *watched* the timing belt/water pump change... don't know if I'll undertake that one myself on the next vehicle though). :P

SO MANY thanks to all those who contribute to these forums.

05 CRD Limited (black), factory skids, Fumoto Valve, ARP Studs, Hayden HD fan clutch, EGR delete, Seyfert CRD Stage 2, 225/70R16, EGT gauge

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:44 am 
LOST Newbie

Got my CRD in Oct 2014 and have read the NOOB guide at least twice. I have made a few posts on other topics. I really appreciate all the work everyone has put in on these forums. This site is truly a treasure trove of information for our beloved Italian-American mistresses!

110000 miles and counting (hopefully!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next