It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 1:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:30 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6205
Location: Colorado Baby!
kn1v3s0ut wrote:
The CEL did finally come on. I also now have the Passenger Air Bag Off light on, just noticed it driving a few minutes ago. Can this be related to doing the ORM? To be honest I don't even know where the controls are for PAB. I need to / will find that in the morning.


That light will come on when you set something on the passenger seat that is too light to require an airbag during an accident such as a small child, dog, backpack, or your leftovers. It has nothing to do with the ORM, and everything to do with whatever you set on the passenger seat.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:54 am 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 4:15 pm
Posts: 6
Sir Sam wrote:
kn1v3s0ut wrote:
The CEL did finally come on. I also now have the Passenger Air Bag Off light on, just noticed it driving a few minutes ago. Can this be related to doing the ORM? To be honest I don't even know where the controls are for PAB. I need to / will find that in the morning.


That light will come on when you set something on the passenger seat that is too light to require an airbag during an accident such as a small child, dog, backpack, or your leftovers. It has nothing to do with the ORM, and everything to do with whatever you set on the passenger seat.


That's funny, had (2) 2 liters in the seat. Thanks again Sam.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:51 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:03 pm
Posts: 363
They want to charge me $1250 for replacing a flex plate and rectifying a torque converter plus an oil and filter change! Dont you guys think it is too much?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

_________________
2006 Jeep Cherokee Liberty 2.8 CRD


Last edited by hgrimberg on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:19 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6205
Location: Colorado Baby!
kn1v3s0ut wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
kn1v3s0ut wrote:
The CEL did finally come on. I also now have the Passenger Air Bag Off light on, just noticed it driving a few minutes ago. Can this be related to doing the ORM? To be honest I don't even know where the controls are for PAB. I need to / will find that in the morning.


That light will come on when you set something on the passenger seat that is too light to require an airbag during an accident such as a small child, dog, backpack, or your leftovers. It has nothing to do with the ORM, and everything to do with whatever you set on the passenger seat.


That's funny, had (2) 2 liters in the seat. Thanks again Sam.


No problem.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:38 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 11:16 pm
Posts: 44
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Sam how's this for a noob question? How do I remove the plastic engine cover to access the engine?

_________________
2006 Liberty Sport CRD
Frankenlift Premium II
JBA Uppers
Samco - Bronco Orange


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:21 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 5:03 am
Posts: 1379
Location: Hawaii
Dano52 wrote:
Sam how's this for a noob question? How do I remove the plastic engine cover to access the engine?

Remove the yellow oil fill cap, then pull up the black cover from the sides.

There are four rubber grommets that hold it to four posts. Make sure those grommets are on the cover and not the posts when you reinstall. Some people leave it off, but it does deaden a little noise (and looks better on :))

_________________
Image

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:05 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 11:16 pm
Posts: 44
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Thanks so much. No I can attack the MAP.

_________________
2006 Liberty Sport CRD
Frankenlift Premium II
JBA Uppers
Samco - Bronco Orange


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:05 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sat May 05, 2012 11:16 pm
Posts: 44
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Now

_________________
2006 Liberty Sport CRD
Frankenlift Premium II
JBA Uppers
Samco - Bronco Orange


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:25 am 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6205
Location: Colorado Baby!
arengant wrote:
Dano52 wrote:
Sam how's this for a noob question? How do I remove the plastic engine cover to access the engine?

Remove the yellow oil fill cap, then pull up the black cover from the sides.

There are four rubber grommets that hold it to four posts. Make sure those grommets are on the cover and not the posts when you reinstall. Some people leave it off, but it does deaden a little noise (and looks better on :))


It makes no difference in noise and it looks worse on.

Black plastic....or manly engine.......I'll take engine.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:53 am 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 5:03 am
Posts: 1379
Location: Hawaii
Sir Sam wrote:
arengant wrote:
Dano52 wrote:
Sam how's this for a noob question? How do I remove the plastic engine cover to access the engine?

Remove the yellow oil fill cap, then pull up the black cover from the sides.

There are four rubber grommets that hold it to four posts. Make sure those grommets are on the cover and not the posts when you reinstall. Some people leave it off, but it does deaden a little noise (and looks better on :))


It makes no difference in noise and it looks worse on.

Black plastic....or manly engine.......I'll take engine.


I actually was referring to you when I posted that :goink:

_________________
Image

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:40 pm 
Offline
LOST Addict
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:07 am
Posts: 6205
Location: Colorado Baby!
arengant wrote:

I actually was referring to you when I posted that :goink:


Just don't propagate incorrect information is all I ask.

_________________
http://www.Colorado4Wheel.com
"Its not about what you can DO with your Jeep, its about where you can GO with your Jeep."
Knowledgeable - But Caustic


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:54 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:52 pm
Posts: 1
[img]http://colorado4wheel.com/images/misc/noobguide.jpg[ /img]


awesome guide! Thank you :grim:

I am still in a Toyota stage right now but leaving soon. I have reduced my fleet from 87 xtra cab, 91 4runner 2dr and 94 extended cab 4x4's to just the latter one while looking for a CRD in the wet coast of Canada.

Thanks to everyone here that shares all the valuable information they have.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:58 pm 
Offline
LOST Member

Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:31 pm
Posts: 255
Location: US
Question about the crank case ventilation hose routing. Currently in factory position, the hose vents into intake line (hose) just before the turbo, what about the possibility of having the hose connect to the air box BEFORE the air filter ? I have a 1985 BMW 524td and that is how the crank case ventilation system "disposes" of the oily gases, PRE air filter factory set-up.

The major difference is this would route the gases pre air filter and most of my concern pre MAF. I've used a K&N filter (itself an oil soaked filter) on the 524td for years and there is a slight amount of "black oil" on the filter material. With the K&N being an oil type filter, this has never really concerned me.

With this routing, how long do you think it would take to effect the MAF or do you think it would effect the MAF at all?

_________________
Dennis
Considering sound advice, invent your own solutions
CRD


Last edited by Dennis MacGyver on Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:00 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:30 pm
Posts: 2482
Location: LOST in Wisconsin
Check out page 4 of this link, guy put his oil/air seperator in the airbox.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64217&hilit=provent&start=60

_________________
2005 CRD "Ol' Blue"
Red Ryder carbine-action, two hundred shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time.
My build page- RL Komodo Rear and TJM Front Bumper, armored, lifted, JBA Steel D30, 4.10s and ARB air lockers.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:26 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:24 pm
Posts: 1
So this is my first post on any forum, I have read the noob guide however I can't seem to figure out how to add the image. Anyway, following this guide I have cleaned all the sensors that were mentioned. What an amazing change in drive ability. This is both my first jeep and my first diesel. Just yesterday I spent 10 hours on both the timing belt and new egr valve. I couldn't have done it without this forum. You all saved me 1000 dollars in labor! And if anybody is in the north central part of Tennessee, Sisk auto mall let me borrow all the tools I needed. Again I just wanted to say thanks.

_________________
06 KJ EHM


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:43 pm 
Offline
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 3:56 pm
Posts: 195
Location: Miami, Florida
bugnout wrote:
Check out page 4 of this link, guy put his oil/air seperator in the airbox.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=64217&hilit=provent&start=60


Bugnout it works! I placed a (homemade) three inch PVC pipe about eight inches long with end caps, and several pin holes in the raised end, inside the air filter box. The amount of goo that is trapped in there is incredible.

Seventh post fifth and sixth picture from the bottom up!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=66602

_________________
2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD, JBA coilovers-4.5 Arms, 5xMoab's with 265-75-16 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2, Safari snorkel, Suncoast T/C, GDE Hot tune, Mandrel bent CAC Tubes, EHM to airbox, Mopar skid's, Fumoto Drain Valve, 3% Tint, ARB front bumper, Full set of Miller tools (9599) to loan within my immediate vicinity.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:26 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:05 pm
Posts: 7
Image
Thanks Sir Sam, for a great write up. I have recently purchased a 2006 CRD with about 62,000 miles on it (100,000 KM) up here in Alberta, Canada.
I have cleaned the MAP sensor, installed an EHM, and have a GDE ECO tune coming in the mail.
This guide has really helped me, and I have one small question...you mentioned using copper crush washers on the oil pan drain plug. I was wondering if you could tell me the size of the washer so I can pick a few up BEFORE pulling the drain plug the next time I change oil. I changed oil before finding this forum, and I notice the plug weeps some oil onto the floor.
Thanks again for a great post!

_________________
2006 Liberty CRD, EHM, GDE ECO tune, 130,000 KM
2001 Dodge Ram 3500 dually 24 V Cummins 6 speed 120,000 KM


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:33 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:42 am
Posts: 20
Location: NH
Thanks for the tips. I pulled my MAP sensor and it looked just like the gunked up one in your picture! I bought the car with 8000mi and it only has 28k now. It always only got 21mpg's. Now, I'm wondering if the sensor was clogged when I bought it. Drove it and car seemed much smoother. Will see how mileage improves now that sensor is clean.

_________________
2006 Liberty CRD, stock for now
2007 Grand Cherokee 3.0 diesel
81 Rabbit PU, diesel with BAE turbo, 60mpg's!
96 Motorhome with GM6.5TD and propane injection


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:05 pm 
Offline
LOST Newbie

Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:42 am
Posts: 20
Location: NH
Anyone know how many quarts of oil to use in order to stay below the fill line but when using the oversized Mobile1 301 filter?

_________________
2006 Liberty CRD, stock for now
2007 Grand Cherokee 3.0 diesel
81 Rabbit PU, diesel with BAE turbo, 60mpg's!
96 Motorhome with GM6.5TD and propane injection


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Sam's CRD Noob Guide:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:01 pm 
Offline
LOST Junkie
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:04 am
Posts: 871
Location: Tiverton, RI
7 qts

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

_________________
2006 Sport, GDE FT Eco Tune, Custom Trans Tune
2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn EcoDiesel, GDE Hot Tune


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group. Color scheme by ColorizeIt!
Logo by pixeldecals.com