It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:44 am 
LOST Addict

Man I never heard of anyone on the other 2 diesel forums (MB,VW) I belong to having trouble finding the Rotella T 5w-40 synthetic oil. I wonder if they have the same supplier for there containers as Mobil?

Anyway if you are in W. KY head over to MO, the Wal-Marts here have tons.

That ELF oil is good stuff, but I hear it's almost as pricy as Motul oil.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:42 am 
LOST Addict

Reggie wrote:
Talking about oil is kinda like talking about politics or religion - every one has their opinion on it.

Amen to that! At least on this forum, unlike some others I've been on over the years, in the end we can agree to disagree when necessary.

You ought to try being on one of the electric vehicle or hybrid forums sometime. The old saying "there are none so devout as the converted" seems tailor-made for them.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:02 pm 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

I've never been in an self-respecting truck stop that didn't have both the Shell Rotella and Mobil synthetic options availble in the gallon jugs. Problem is...I can't think of a good truck stop in KY. :? Nothing on the BG pkwy except that median gas stop. Nothing on the WK pkwy. Cinci-Lex = nothing. Lex-Louisville = nothing, Louisville-Cinci = nothing. Ashland-Lexington = nothing. Jeez, where do truckers stop in KY? If you know of one close, check them out for your oil needs. That's the only local place I've found that stocks them (Wally World looked at me like I was crazy and said, "We only get what they send us" when I asked them if they could order it).

ELF is great...they'd be cheaper if they didn't have to pay for all those racing sponsorships.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:16 pm 
LOST Addict

Looks like it's not just me...

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/ ... hp?t=87779

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:50 pm 
LOST Addict

dog_party wrote:
I've never been in an self-respecting truck stop that didn't have both the Shell Rotella and Mobil synthetic options availble in the gallon jugs. Problem is...I can't think of a good truck stop in KY. :? Nothing on the BG pkwy except that median gas stop. Nothing on the WK pkwy. Cinci-Lex = nothing. Lex-Louisville = nothing, Louisville-Cinci = nothing. Ashland-Lexington = nothing. Jeez, where do truckers stop in KY? If you know of one close, check them out for your oil needs. That's the only local place I've found that stocks them (Wally World looked at me like I was crazy and said, "We only get what they send us" when I asked them if they could order it).

ELF is great...they'd be cheaper if they didn't have to pay for all those racing sponsorships.
How far are you from Paducah? (sp) I quess if you need it bad enough I could meet you half way. Local Wal-Mart only has the Mobil T & SUV in qt's but they must have 12 to 15 gallons of the Rotella T 5w-40 blue jug on the shelf.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:54 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks for the offer, but I'm about 250 miles from Paducah. I'm going to the nearest large city (Lexington) to check their Wal-Marts tonight and see if they have any Rotella left on the shelf. The interesting thing about the first Wal-Mart I checked locally is that it didn't appear they were just sold out of it, it appeared they had actually quit carrying it altogether. Because there was no empty space on their shelves anywhere.

Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:01 pm 
LOST Addict

LibertyCRD wrote:
Thanks for the offer, but I'm about 250 miles from Paducah. I'm going to the nearest large city (Lexington) to check their Wal-Marts tonight and see if they have any Rotella left on the shelf. The interesting thing about the first Wal-Mart I checked locally is that it didn't appear they were just sold out of it, it appeared they had actually quit carrying it altogether. Because there was no empty space on their shelves anywhere.

Local one here did the same thing with Power Service Lube Extender. They used to have it right beside the PS white and silver, then about 3 months ago when they ran out of it, they simply removed the space on the shelf and filled it with something else.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:04 pm 
LOST Addict

The Wal-Mart stores do stock by areas and if something is not a seller in that area they don't stock it but the one time.

That said, on the VW diesel forum the responce from Mobil was both Katrina and that they were changing over to a repackaged T & SUV oil, one 5w-30 for gassers and 5w-40 for diesels and that this should be cleared up over the country in Febuary of this year.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject: Air Box mods?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:19 pm 
LOST Member

I noticed in KJ Addict's vehicle description "modified air box" Are there pictures or descriptions in this Forum somewhere that show/explain?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:22 pm 
LOST Addict

Nothing major. Just removed some of the restrictive tubing to open up the airbox more.

Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The oil filter from Carquest is a Wix filter.that what i use on my CRD.went in to get a Wix filter.They show me their own brand and compared to a Wix's.identical filters.been using the same part store for years,family owned Carquest franchise.very knowledge about parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:27 am 
LOST Addict

I FOUND ROTELLA!!!! :o :D :lol: 8)

I drove to Lexington last night and checked the Wal-Mart there and they had six 1-gallon jugs of Shell Rotella 5W40 synth. left on the shelf! Cool...so now I can keep using the oil I prefer...even though I spent an hour and a half on the road to get it. :wink:

Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:59 pm 
LOST Addict

I talked to the service department today and they told me that they always use Mobil 1 on the CRD diesel and Hemi motors. Finally a dealership that knows how to do it right.

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:09 am 
LOST Addict

I was in local Wally-Mark yesterday and they were out of Mobil 1 T & SUV, had plenty of Rotella T synthetic 5w-40 on the shelf.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, just to add one more kink to the oil discussions....I took my CRD for a 12,500 mile oil change at the dealership where I bought it. I've done a couple of changes myself (0W-40 for one and 5W-40 for another...both Mobil 1). I looked at the ticket afterward and it said "15 Rotella". So I asked and sure enough they use 15W40 synthetic Rotella for ALL their diesel oil changes. They service Jeep, Dodge and Chevy. The guy told me for the hotter Texas climate they consider it a better oil. They said they stand behind their work, have a 5-star rating and I'm good to go. It squares with what some of the more experienced diesel folks have written here but it surprised the heck out of me that they completely ignore the manual. Has anyone else had this experience? If what they say is right, it gives us in the hotter climates another oil to choose from. Cheers to all for the great discussions and information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:05 pm 
LOST Addict

It will not hurt the CRD in any way ecept starting when cold takes longer to pump up and it may drop your mileage by 1/2 to 1 mpg's is all. That said when you start the vehicle is when you will put most of the wear on the engine and that is why mfg's have gone to the 5w & 0w oils is for less start up wear. Here something else to remember your oil temp in your engine when at normal operating temp won't vary 10* F no mater if it's 10*F or 100*F outside, what will make it get hotter is work load not the air temp. My NB TDI had oil temp gage installed before our second trip to NM and the only time the oil temp went up more then 10* over normal (normal meaningt the reading it showed jan as well as July) was racing a non turbo BMW to the 11,000 ft at top of Mt Sandia. It was easy after we went past 5000ft mark. I bet he hated looking at the 3" high turbo diesel letters across the rear window. When I was crusing across I-10 (mid July and about 107*) doing 110 mph (with CC on) it stayed about 15* above the normal temp. And before you asked, NO I didn't have a EGT gage.

For those who haven't looked yet but the CDR has a port in the pan that you could put a temp gage in if you have a mind to do that king of thing. I will be posting pic's here of the oil pan in the page about FUMOTO drain valve and you will be able to the plug I'm talking about.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have run Pennzoil in all my vehicles for years, and have had no engine problems. I assume that Pennz also makes a diesel oil that meets the spec's for the CRD? Anyone running Pennz in their CRD?

1961 Willys Wagon