It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Confused brake system? (don't make my hair hurt)
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

I had an odd problem with my braking system yesterday. I tried to get up my steep driveway when it was very icy and had a hard time even in 4wd. During the attempt, I spun the wheels quiter a bit. First the brake light came on, then the abs signal also lit. When I got to the top of the dirve, the brakes seemed to pulse over a long time on/off without me touching the pedal as I coasted on the flat pavement. The brake light reset this morning on start and the abs stayed on until I drove and braked a few times. I think I "confused" the brake system computer, but don't really know. I have an '05 crd sport with abs, but I don't think I have any traction control.

I am curious as to why this would happen as I have never had this problem before. I would appreciate a simple answer as many responses in here are way too technical for me and make my hair hurt

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:29 am 
LOST Member

Although not a Jeep, I had a GM car in the past when I still lived up north that got snow packed around one of the wheel speed sensors and really confused the system for a while. The dealer let it sit inside for a few hours to thaw and it was ok after that. I'd try that before I spent any cash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:38 pm 
LOST Member

Not very familiar w/ the KJ 4WD system but on ABS cars, if one wheel spins a lot more than another, it can confuse the system as the ABS sensor will be seeing one wheel turning a lot more than another and could lead the system to think that a sensor is malfunctioning. You would think that being an off-road vehicle Jeep would have allowed for spinning in mud and such but maybe you spun too much? :P

No idea on the pulsing thing...

GDE Eco Tune and DPF delete
CB Engineering DPF delete pipe
EHM

Past (sold to Mountainman):
2005 Patriot Blue Liberty CRD Limited

Post subject: ABS ..
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:38 pm 
LOST Junkie

I had a proble turning a corner on a snowy road because the stupid anti-ock breaks wouldn't let me. I think they are more dangerious than helpful...Anyone have anytips on how to disable them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

<..Anyone have anytips on how to disable them!!!!!!!!!!!!!>

Sure, find the fuse for ABS and pull it out. But is it a good idea? I doubt it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:40 pm 
LOST Junkie

TxAshurst wrote:
<..Anyone have anytips on how to disable them!!!!!!!!!!!!!>

Sure, find the fuse for ABS and pull it out. But is it a good idea? I doubt it.

Anti-lock breaks help you stop straighter but not faster. I personally am not sold on anti-lock breaks. Yes on glare ice they maybe great but how often are you on glare ice. One more thing to break...... Just my opinion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:10 pm 
LOST Member

Saved me this wkend. Was up in the mountains skiing and the day before it had climbed to the high 40's and dropped into the teens that night. Instant ice rink. I was coming down a hill to a stop sign, not going too fast for snow but clearly too fast for ice. Hit the brakes, instant ABS pulsing, managed to stop before hitting a car sitting at the sign. I don't think I could have stopped in time by myself. I'm sold.

GDE Eco Tune and DPF delete
CB Engineering DPF delete pipe
EHM

Past (sold to Mountainman):
2005 Patriot Blue Liberty CRD Limited