It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Upper Control Arm's Ball Joint Gone Bad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just put in an order at JeepinbyAl.com for lifted upper control arms.
$500 with overnight shipping.
I wondered how long they were going to last, well it is time.

'06 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD with: GDE Hot Flash and Tranny Flash, ehm, Cummins fuel pump, 3" Magnaflow muff, Moog K3199's, Skids, 225-75-16 10 ply, OME springs, Euro T/C, Shift kit, Trans cooler w/thermal bypass, Bigboy bkt, Samco CAC, Brake controller, Trans temp gauge, Al's Upper Arms

Post subject: Re: Upper Control Arm's Ball Joint Gone Bad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The ball joints on the Jeepin Al are regreaseable and replaceable Moog ball joints, what more can you ask for.
Just make sure you ordered the lifted a little or lifted a lot version that is best for you or you will have bad issues.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:49 pm 
LOST Addict

The welds on the other hand......

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JL Rockies wrote:

What about the welds?

Warp2,
Told Al the KJ had OME springs, lifted arms were ordered.

'06 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD with: GDE Hot Flash and Tranny Flash, ehm, Cummins fuel pump, 3" Magnaflow muff, Moog K3199's, Skids, 225-75-16 10 ply, OME springs, Euro T/C, Shift kit, Trans cooler w/thermal bypass, Bigboy bkt, Samco CAC, Brake controller, Trans temp gauge, Al's Upper Arms

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

fastRob wrote:
JL Rockies wrote:

What about the welds?

Warp2,
Told Al the KJ had OME springs, lifted arms were ordered.

With the Liability issue, chances are really good that the welds are American Welding Society Compliant. In order to sell anything to the Department of Defense the welds have to be to AWS specifications. Most engineers don't want to put their PE neck on the line so they require welds to be to AWS specifications. In my line of work all of the US built equipment that My employer produces and our competitors produce is welded to AWS specifications.
I will be shocked if the welds on the Jeepin Al upper control arms are not to AWS specifications, all he would have to do is put it on the prints the Fab Shop uses and the welds will be done right.
The sales Guy/Gal might not know, but the boss will.

Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:30 pm 
LOST Member

JL Rockies wrote:

The welds on the gen 4.5 arms are great! Some of the earlier versions had problems with the way the ball joint was welded to the arm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Diesel vs Gas Upper Control Arm installation time?
The service manager called me to say the diesel was more difficult than the gas.
Is that true?
What do you experts say?
Or was he trying to put me off for the weekend?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

fastRob wrote:
The service manager called me to say the diesel was more difficult than the gas.
Is that true?
What do you experts say?

Being a CRD will add some time for the install,more parts to remove to get to the mounting bolts.Nothing harder about installing them on a CRD just about 30mins more time for more parts that need to be removed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
fastRob wrote:
Is that true?
What do you experts say?

Being a CRD will add some time for the install,more parts to remove to get to the mounting bolts.Nothing harder about installing them on a CRD just about 30mins more time for more parts that need to be removed.

Ah, an expert responds, Thanks tjkj2002!!!
The guy said he would do the installation and 4 wheel alignment for $400.
Should I allow him a little more for the CRD?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

$400 for install and a alignment is kinda high.Last CRD I installed JBA's on we only charged $75 and then he got the lifetime alignment at were I do my "day job" for $140.I would think 2 hours labor max for install,actual install time is closer to 1.5 hours,so he's charging you $200 for a alignment? I would think $250-$300 would be a more reasonable price for install and alignment.

Oh and a side note...............

There is only a 4 wheel alignment,no such thing as a 2 wheel alignment as the front tow is set directly off of the rear tires(there angles) even if the rear has no adjustments(like on a KJ).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:09 am 
LOST Member

I have a set of Al's A-arms too. For some reason my Liberty wasn't covered by the recall done a few years ago. My CRD is non-lifted and I can say there is a bit of a problem with the standard A-arms. I have a half degree of camber that is more than spec with the adjustment as far in as it will go...meaning they're a bit short. The tire wear doesn't seem to excessive, but there does seem to be a little more wheel scrub when the wheels are turned to the extreme. If I had known, I would have gotten the ones for a somewhat lifted Liberty. At least they are greaseable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

kdlewis1975 wrote:
I have a set of Al's A-arms too. For some reason my Liberty wasn't covered by the recall done a few years ago. My CRD is non-lifted and I can say there is a bit of a problem with the standard A-arms. I have a half degree of camber that is more than spec with the adjustment as far in as it will go...meaning they're a bit short. The tire wear doesn't seem to excessive, but there does seem to be a little more wheel scrub when the wheels are turned to the extreme. If I had known, I would have gotten the ones for a somewhat lifted Liberty. At least they are greaseable.

I believe there are upgrades, check out the website, I think you can send them back, not sure.

The dealer conclusion was a disaster. He claimed there was a problem with the installation, but I had the flat rate installation.
How can one do business when people are lying? Am very angry, he did knock off $100 but it was still too much.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

fastRob wrote:
kdlewis1975 wrote:

I believe there are upgrades, check out the website, I think you can send them back, not sure.

The dealer conclusion was a disaster. He claimed there was a problem with the installation, but I had the flat rate installation.
How can one do business when people are lying? Am very angry, he did knock off $100 but it was still too much.

Due to the Stupid Accounting used by many Dealers, the Service Department provides Welfare to Sales and the Parts Department makes all the money on parts so Service looks like a money looser. To make up for the shaft job the Service Department gets, they pass it onto the customer.
Another flaw with Dealerships is that Sales gets their pens, pencils, and cars for free and techs need to buy most of their own tools.
Now you know why good dealers are few and far between.

Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

[quote="warp2diesel]techs need to buy most of their own tools.
Now you know why good dealers are few and far between.[/quote]

Unless your in the miltary(or employed by the military as a contractor) 99% of all shops make the techs buy there own tools besides big shop tools like jacks,presses,and lifts.Not a bad thing as I get to deduct all of my tools when it comes tax time.