It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cost of timing belt Replacement
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

For whatever it's worth there are other less expensive options on some of these parts. Gates brand serpentine and timing belts from any good parts store. Complete lifetime warranty alternator including decoupler from Autozone if I recall. There is a price difference between L & R motor mounts but other than a removable heat shield they are identical hence order the cheaper one(s) and reuse the heat shield you already have.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hydraulic Jack wrote:
I wish someone made silicone hoses for the CRD...........HJ

Samco does

http://www.samcosport.com/usa/car_kits.asp?make=Jeep

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 5:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

OK, I got my CRD back yesterday from the Jeep dealer after the 100k service and here is the low down. Everything seems to be ok so far (only put about 20 miles on at this point). I had the timing belt, timing belt tensioner, two pullies, water pump, T-stat and upper & lower coolant hoses (which I supplied) replaced. I paid a total of $1,500 for parts and labor to Jeep. The two coolant hoses cost me $67 at the local parts place and Jeep actually put them on during the service. The vehicle did stay at the dealer for almost 3 weeks waiting on the T-stat to become available, which was not that big of a deal since they gave me a free loaner car. Below I will try and post pics of the parts that were replaced, most of which showed some signs wear. I will say that I did have the "chirp" that people have talked about which is attributed to the alternator decoupler before the repairs, which is now gone. I am now thinking it may have been the water pump unless the tech oiled the decoupler (we shall see). There was some play in the shaft of the old water pump, although I was unable to compare it to the new one. Overall, I would say I had a pretty good experience at this dealer in NJ and I am normally ANTI-DEALER. The price may be a bit on the high side, but I get a 1 year warranty that was not offered from the local diesel shop that was going to charge $1,200 (and I had to supply the special tools).

I can't seem to get my parts pics in the post. If someone can tell me how to do it I'll post them so people can see the wear that I experienced at 101,000 miles.

-Kevin

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:17 am 
LOST Newbie

Back of timing belt looks like some cracking / dry rot

Inside timing belt

Water pump

Water pump impeller

Timing belt side wear

Pulley 1

Pulley 2

Tensioner blue dicoloration...could this be from heat?

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 4:56 pm 
LOST Addict

That blue does not look like heat discoloration, but I have not seen any other tensioners with that coloring, I'm pulling mine apart now so I will let you know if mine has that same color here in a bit.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:55 pm 
LOST Addict

Ok got my new belt on, my tensioner was blue just like that, don't worry its normal!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 1:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bigmaho1 wrote:
Hydraulic Jack wrote:
I wish someone made silicone hoses for the CRD...........HJ

Samco does

http://www.samcosport.com/usa/car_kits.asp?make=Jeep

Radiator and heater hoses is what I'm talking about.........I Have a set of Samco turbo hoses..........HJ

LED Courtesy Lts & Rear floor Lts, Halo Key Light
02 Radio Bezel with ashtray & LED light ☀lllllll☀

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 2:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't know of anyone making silicone coolant hoses for the Liberty CRD but you are not stuck with OEM. While I have not personnally purchased these Gates radiator hoses - lower 23071; stock upper 22022; upper 22000 for kapalczynski's custom tsat (cut to length) appear to be what we need. That said between stoutdog and myself we put 125,000 or so miles on a D-250 Cummins on original OEM hoses with no problems. Unless our CRDs run a lot hotter I don't see any need for routine coolant hose replacement but I've yet to hit 40k on my CRD so what do I know.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

Post subject: Affordable Mechanic in Raleigh, NC for timing belt Replaceme
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Can any member out there suggest a mechanic in the Raleigh, NC or Charlotte, NC area that will knows what he is doing and can replace a timing belt on my 2.8L CRD?

I am looking for someone who is good for a 1 year warranty. The dealers in the Raleigh area are out line and want to do the job for over $ 3,000.00. Also they do not seem very familiar with this engine.

This Jeep is my daughter's driver and I have too many other projects to mess with this.

I have a set of tools for the cam if the mechanic does not have them.

Any suggestions in either Raleigh or Charlotte area are welcome.

Ken

2006 Liberty CRD Limited, 1997 Jeep TJ project (Rock Krawker 4 link, Dana 44 G2 with ARB locker front and rear, tube fenders -- more to come), 2007 Dodge Nitro (JBA headers, Custom dual exhaust with Flowmaster 50, K&N, Chip), 2006 Landrover LR3, 1968 427 Tripower Corvette, 1951 Pontiac straight 8, 1994 Chevy 9C1 Police Cruiser with LT1.

Post subject: Re: Affordable Mechanic in Raleigh, NC for timing belt Repla
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:34 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
kencary wrote:
Can any member out there suggest a mechanic in the Raleigh, NC or Charlotte, NC area that will knows what he is doing and can replace a timing belt on my 2.8L CRD?

I am looking for someone who is good for a 1 year warranty. The dealers in the Raleigh area are out line and want to do the job for over $ 3,000.00. Also they do not seem very familiar with this engine.

This Jeep is my daughter's driver and I have too many other projects to mess with this.

I have a set of tools for the cam if the mechanic does not have them.

Any suggestions in either Raleigh or Charlotte area are welcome.

Ken

I'm the traveling CRD tech, and I've worked on more CRDs than any shop in the country - over 50 of them are running around with my work. I will email you shortly.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:20 pm 
LOST Member

I'll be gearing up here shortly to do timing belt job myself. Planning to buy the parts kit from IDParts to do the water pump the same time. Is there any reason I would need the full gasket kit?

Also, what are some other jobs worth doing while I'm that deep?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:35 pm 

HER_CRD wrote:
I'll be gearing up here shortly to do timing belt job myself. Planning to buy the parts kit from IDParts to do the water pump the same time. Is there any reason I would need the full gasket kit?

Also, what are some other jobs worth doing while I'm that deep?

Replace serpentine belt tensioner and fan clutch if they have some age on them since you are going to remove them anyway to do the timing belt job... :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:00 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Yeah, the fan clutch is the main thing. The serpentine tensioner doesn't need to be replaced unless it has been damaged (splitting apart) by a failed alternator clutch pulley. You might want to preemptively replace the alternator pulley as that is a LOT cheaper than the serpentine tensioner. I'd save the money from replacing the tensioner unless you have to.

Also inspect the back of your harmonic balancer and look for big cracks or chunks missing in the rubber. I've found two recently that have had the balancer on the way out b/c of that rubber cushion.

Good luck, take your time on the work.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:23 am 
LOST Member

The serpentine belt and tensioner are about 4 years old. They were replaced by the dealer job at after we bought it. Alternator I did myself about 3 years ago. There has been a very faint squeak at idle that I need to track down. Could very well be the pulley.

The fan clutch I'm not sure on. This could very well be the stock clutch.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:24 am 

The only reason I suggested the serpentine belt tensioner is the tension spring gets weak with age and does not hold the proper tension on the belt which will allow it to bounce excessively at idle even with a newly installed alternator pulley... Ask me how I know, been there done that; and it is a whole lot easier to change tensioner while doing a TB job than having to do it with everything in place on the front of the engine! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:06 am 
LOST Addict

HER_CRD wrote:
The serpentine belt and tensioner are about 4 years old. They were replaced by the dealer job at after we bought it. Alternator I did myself about 3 years ago. There has been a very faint squeak at idle that I need to track down. Could very well be the pulley.

The fan clutch I'm not sure on. This could very well be the stock clutch.

Squeaking will be the alternator pulley.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Oregon Fuel Injection in Eugene just did mine for $1,370.51, which included the timing belt, tensioner and idlers, as well as water pump, serpentine belt and tensioners, and replaced the coolant. They used the ID Parts timing belt kit and serpentine belt tensioner kits. Parts were $785.51, and labor was $585.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:55 pm 
LOST Addict

Eric_in_OR wrote:
Oregon Fuel Injection in Eugene just did mine for $1,370.51, which included the timing belt, tensioner and idlers, as well as water pump, serpentine belt and tensioners, and replaced the coolant. They used the ID Parts timing belt kit and serpentine belt tensioner kits. Parts were $785.51, and labor was $585.

That’s a steal.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:47 pm 

Eric_in_OR wrote:

X2, that is a very good price, beats the heck out of what some crooks charge! :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:25 pm 
LOST Addict

Most of those crooks work at "stealer"ships... They have that name because they've earned it. :wink:

That is almost exactly what I charge to do the work, so you got a very good deal. I charge $1400 with all the parts included, but I don't usually replace the serpentine tensioner or those idlers - unless needed. Most shops I've heard of tend to be around $1700-$1900 and aren't close to familiar with this engine. They also only replace the timing belt and water pump, not the pulleys either.

You did good, I don't get out to the West Coast that often and the travel is a killer on that one.