It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacing fuel tank connections
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello,

I have been getting air in my fuel system and am going to replace the fittings on top of the tank first to try that. What are the steps to drop the tank and do this job? Any surprises to look out for? Did a search but could only find a little amount of information.

Post subject: Re: Replacing fuel tank connections
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:39 pm 
LOST Member

I would say the first thing to check is that you have the revised fuel filter head - it should have a larger, blue connector for the fuel heater. If your filter head has two small black connectors, it's the older version and may be leaking air from there.

You're going to want the tank as empty as possible. The tank is held up by two steel straps, each strap having a bolt on each end. You'll need a 15mm socket for those. Depending on how the Jeep was ordered, you may also have a skidplate protecting the tank which will need to be removed.

As the tank comes down (a floor jack helps lower it in a controlled manner) you'll need to loosen the hose clamp at the bottom of the fuel filler neck in order to detach that from the tank. I think there's a vent hose too, but I can't remember for sure. And then on top of the tank, there's the electrical connector for the fuel level sending unit as well as the supply and return fuel lines.

But if you're dropping the tank, you'd might as well install an in-tank lift pump if you have the money. And then at that point, you don't need to replace the quick disconnect fittings since they won't be under vacuum anymore.

Here's more info on installing a lift pump; should still be helpful even if you're just dropping the tank to replace the quick disconnect fittings:
LOST JEEPS • View topic - In-tank Lift Pump Installation Details - http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=37868
http://www.auerbach.ca/kj/lift_pump/
http://kj.polter.net/pics/cummins_pump/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:13 pm 

X2, All very excellent advice! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the information. I do indeed have the updated fuel filter head. Just finished up replacing the lines an hour ago. It took about an hour and half to do and was pretty straight forward. I used 5/16" fuel hose for the smaller diameter fitting and 3/8" fuel hose for the larger diameter fitting. Just be sure to route the new fuel lines in a way that they will not be pinched or crimped in anyway.