It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CHECK ENGINE LIGHT-360 MILES
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:18 am 
LOST Newbie

I was hoping I would not be posting on this forum, just lurking and learning. Unfortunately, yesterday, after owning my '06 CRD for 6 days the CEL came on. First warning was intermittant chimes and various warning lights. This went on for about 2 or three minutes. Finnally, the CEL came on and stayed on. On the 30 minute drive to the dealer the chime and all warning lights would come on and go off, or just the speed needle would begin to go toward zero and then recover. Also, the radio would lose power along with the warning lights comming on.

I got to the dealership and diagnostics found a turbo underboost code and another code in the 400's that was for a faulty glow indicator. They reset and cleared the faults and we went for a 10 mile test drive. No problems.

As I was driving out of the dealership parking lot a single chime and no lights came on. About 1 mile later at 50 mph the eninge shut off and threw me into the seatbelt. It came back on in about 1 second. I went right back to the dealership and told them about this. While the vehicle was idling and they were checking it out the CEL light came back on with the same 4?? code, faulty glow indicator. As this was late on Saturday and the rental companies were closed I agreed to drive the vehicle the 10 blocks home and wait until Monday morning.

I traded in an '04 Ram turbo deisel that never had a single warranty item in 41,000 miles for the CRD. Did I make a big mistake. I bought the CRD so that I would have a reliable, econimcal, vehicle to drive around town and to tow my skiff to the local ramp and back and forth to the Florida Keys. I make this 500 mi round trip to the Keys about once or twice a month.

I do not want to be one of those lonely people I see waiting on the side of the isolated highway for help, especially with my $40, 000 boat behind me. :o :( :shock: [/b]

Post subject: Gremlins
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:11 am 
LOST Newbie

Radio losing power, turbo underboost code, faulty glow indicator, sounds like Ford that I owned. A mouse built a nest near the air cleaner and chewed through some of the insulation on the wiring harnesses. :twisted: I thought I had a Gremlin, it turned out to be a mouse :twisted:

My 05 CRD has been flawless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:34 am 
LOST Member

I also had a 2004 Ram CTD 4x4 quad cab Larame and loved it. Funny thing was that the Ram got about 16 to 19 mpg and the Jeep gets 19 mpg. Probably should have kept the Ram. Oh well - live and learn. The code almost sounds like an EGR going south.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:59 pm 
LOST Member

Yeah but no one here has reported those kinds of electrical problems related an EGR. Glow plugs, yes but misbehaving gauges?

I think you have a bad ground somewhere which would explain the electrical gremlins. The EGR and glowplugs are likely related.

Keep us posted!

GDE Eco Tune and DPF delete
CB Engineering DPF delete pipe
EHM

Past (sold to Mountainman):
2005 Patriot Blue Liberty CRD Limited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't know that I'd trust any of the diagnostic codes until the system dropout issues are resolved. Engine and gauges cutting out sounds like major electrical issues - if that's what's happening, nothing in the diag routines can be taken as reliable, imo. Computers don't function as designed in a squirrely power environment. Sounds like your dealer should have a really good explanation of why the gauges, engine and other seemingly electrical related issues occured and what component(s) were replaced in ensuring that the failure was positively resolved.

IronMan Lift/Shocks/Provent/Moog ball joints/ V6 Airbox/Fan/Hayden
Cobalt Boost/EGT/Oil/Trans/Volt gauges/Aeroturbine 2525
Yeti Hot Tune/Odessey 65/Samco's/Michelin Defenders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks, everyone for all the input and keep it comming. I will take all this info to the dealer tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:18 am 
LOST Newbie

Update:The service mgr at my dealer told me that it would take a week to receive a part called a 'glow module' and that in the meantime not to drive it. I left it at the dealership and am now in a rental car.

I had the service dept print out a VIP Summary Report on this vehicle and it shows a warranty item done at 2 miles, before I bought the car. It was done at another dealership. It has a code 0894TEG3-throttle bodyfuel injection. My service mgr could not explain what this was. Could it have something to do with my current problems? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Doesn't make any sense to me.

IronMan Lift/Shocks/Provent/Moog ball joints/ V6 Airbox/Fan/Hayden
Cobalt Boost/EGT/Oil/Trans/Volt gauges/Aeroturbine 2525
Yeti Hot Tune/Odessey 65/Samco's/Michelin Defenders