It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 6 Spd Question
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:44 am 
LOST Member

Any news on when/if the CRD is getting a 6 spd?

Post subject: Re: 6 Spd Question
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:03 am 
LOST Addict

bhysjulien wrote:
Any news on when/if the CRD is getting a 6 spd?
Hahahahaha!!!! The US is the land of auto tranny's and about 2/3's of Liberty's are women. Probably 97% of the women don't even know how to drive a manual tranny, just check out the local HS and see how many girls can drive a manual trans. Maybe one out of ten of them at best on average, males might be one quarter. So who would buy them in the US?

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:58 am 
LOST Addict

I would. In fact, that's what I wanted. And a quick search through all the various Jeep Liberty forums shows that there are tons of people that would rather have a CRD/manual trans. combo. The automatic just defeats the purpose of the CRD...which is economy and power. Oh well...

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:45 am 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

Ahhhhhhhhhh 6 speed manual....

I had a dream that I was actually using my left foot the other night and then I woke up and realized that I don't even have a freakin' deadpedal!

If they got enough requests, they might accidentally bring it over here and make it a $200 upgrade option. But I don't see it happening (shrug).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:30 pm 
LOST Addict

Hey just look at the 3/4 & 1 ton diesel PU's with auto trans compared to manual trannys in the US, and you think they could sell enough 6spd CRD's to be a real seller? I don't think so, but hey I have been wrong before.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:43 pm 

I think the biggest kicker here in the States is the tow-rating. It used to be that manuals were better for towing. But the developments in the auto trannies now puts them as "better" (read: easier to warranty) towing transmissions. As soon as autos reached the same tow-rating as manuals, the manuals started disappearing. It's almost impossible to find a 1/2 ton PU with a manual tranny anymore and a couple manufacturers don't even offer them as options in their trucks.

I'm with oldnavy in the fact that I've been wrong (and often), but I don't see us getting that little gem. Canada will probably get it before we do (IF we do).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:16 am 
LOST Addict

Saw a survey a few years back, where they said close to 90% of new vehicles sold in the USA were autos.

And you know the reason given by most buyers for selecting an automatic?

TO HAVE ONE HAND FREE SO THEY COULD TALK ON A FRAKKIN CELL PHONE! :evil:

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:22 am 
LOST Member

retmil46 wrote:
Saw a survey a few years back, where they said close to 90% of new vehicles sold in the USA were autos.

I had to laugh at that one because here in Houston driving an SUV with the cell phone glued to the ear while holding a mocha from Starbucks seems to be a requirement for the soccor moms around here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:47 am 
Reggie wrote:
retmil46 wrote:

I had to laugh at that one because here in Houston driving an SUV with the cell phone glued to the ear while holding a mocha from Starbucks seems to be a requirement for the soccor moms around here.

My wife and I finally got a cell phone after 10 years of marriage. I tried talking and driving twice and was VERY bothered by how much it distracted me. I gave the phone to my wife full time. I like being "unconnected" from the cell phone grid - relaxing :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:59 pm 
LOST Addict

Yep, I leave mine turned off while driving, and have to leave it turned off at work. That's why they have voice mail.

Matter of fact, my voicemail greeting says "If I don't answer, it's because I'm driving, at work, or sleeping, and my phone is turned off. Leave me a message with your info and I'll call you back."

Nothing beats that magic little ON-OFF button. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:45 pm 

I heard they're trying to pass a law in VA where it will be illegal for, get this, anyone between the ages of 16 and 18 to use a cell phone while driving.

Try enforcing THAT! Talk about my tax money hard at work. Pbbbt! I'd rather pay for Mayor Berry's coke and hookers than that kinda stupidity.

I think the law should be that if someone's on the phone while driving you get a free shot at them. Little PID love tap at 65MPH'll do wonders for people not paying attention to, and focusing on, the fact that they're in control of a missle that kills people even when it's only doing 5MPH.

I think STRICT 5-year testing should be put into effect. Everyone passes Bob Bondurant driving school, gets a complete physical, mental eval, and displays working knowledge of vehicle mechanics every 5 years or you take the bus.

Oh, and mandatory manual trannies should be LAW too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:55 pm 
LOST Member

For sporty driving I agree manual all the way (My WRX is manual, the Vette will be, motorcycles are, I'm a huge manual xmission fan). But I have to say I enjoy the KJ's auto tranny when I'm crawling through California traffic. My manual TJ would wear out my left knee - especially when trying to get out of town on Friday night and towing my trailer.

Funny story though. My wife only drove autos growing up. I taught her to drive a manual on my TJ and a few months later we sold her auto Saturn to buy the manual WRX. I told her that manuals were the only way to go and that autos suck. You can only imagine her response when I wanted to sell the TJ to get the CRD - all of my arguments came back to haunt me (What is this genetic ability for women to remember crap that we say and throw it back at us years later? I can never remember all the crap she's pulled :P). She hates driving the CRD - I've created a tranny snob!

GDE Eco Tune and DPF delete
CB Engineering DPF delete pipe
EHM

Past (sold to Mountainman):
2005 Patriot Blue Liberty CRD Limited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

"What is this genetic ability for women to remember crap that we say and throw it back at us years later?"

It stems from all the promises we make whenver we buy tools... they actually expect us to fix things besides our Jeeps with all that gear. They clearly don't understand the justification process :-)

IronMan Lift/Shocks/Provent/Moog ball joints/ V6 Airbox/Fan/Hayden
Cobalt Boost/EGT/Oil/Trans/Volt gauges/Aeroturbine 2525
Yeti Hot Tune/Odessey 65/Samco's/Michelin Defenders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:30 am 
LOST Member

I found out that my 5 speed manual 04kj tows 3500 pounds while the auto can tow 5000 pounds,Regardless I still rather have the manual,I spent over 2k repairing my last auto trans for a ford explorer,Also I can boost my gas mileage by coasting down hills and non-aggresive shifting..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:36 pm 
LOST Addict

adamkrz wrote:
I found out that my 5 speed manual 04kj tows 3500 pounds while the auto can tow 5000 pounds,Regardless I still rather have the manual,I spent over 2k repairing my last auto trans for a ford explorer,Also I can boost my gas mileage by coasting down hills and non-aggresive shifting..

IMHO, Ford has never built an auto tranny that was worth a crap. They might as well put it in the owners manual under scheduled maintenance, somewhere after 50K miles you're going to be rebuilding that Ford tranny. Every Ford automatic that I or any of my family have had anything to do with, from the '65 Mustang I had in high school on up, has had to have the tranny rebuilt prior to 100 K miles, even with doing proper scheduled maintenance.

That's the primary reason why back in '87 I bought my Subaru wagon with a 5 speed and swore off automatics (and Fords) for nearly 20 years. Also part of the reason i popped for the extended warranty on the CRD, I didn't know how well these Chrysler automatics would hold up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:25 am 

retmil46 wrote:
IMHO, Ford has never built an auto tranny that was worth a crap. They might as well put it in the owners manual under scheduled maintenance, somewhere after 50K miles you're going to be rebuilding that Ford tranny. Every Ford automatic that I or any of my family have had anything to do with, from the '65 Mustang I had in high school on up, has had to have the tranny rebuilt prior to 100 K miles, even with doing proper scheduled maintenance.

That's the primary reason why back in '87 I bought my Subaru wagon with a 5 speed and swore off automatics (and Fords) for nearly 20 years. Also part of the reason i popped for the extended warranty on the CRD, I didn't know how well these Chrysler automatics would hold up.

Same here. It was a Ford auto tranny that made me buy my 86 Subbie Brat manual and swear off auto trannies. This KJ CRD is the first auto I've had since 1987. Got the extended warranty for the same reason.

The lower tow rating...I'm not sure how much that is based on vehicular ability and how much it's based on warranty/insurance reasoning. I have a feeling that it's just easier for the corporate spreadsheet managers to warranty an auto tranny where the system operator has a lot less input. The manual trannies have so much more user input that they probably just think that the driver is less capable of pulling heavier loads without damaging the system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Personally, I need an Auto because my hands hurt too much to use a standard these days. Getting older can be the pits! Not getting older is even worse, though. I loved the old pickups with a super-Granny gear, but they are a thing of the past.

That said, I want to relate a story. I was riding with my son in his Jeep down near Moab, UT. He wanted to show me some petroglyphs (because I like them and have showed many of them to him) and the way led down a steep section of rock that was like a set of stairs. As we eased over the top, he pressed on the brake. Later we figured that the edge of his boot caught the accelerator, but at the time all we knew was that we kept going too fast and and he couldn't press the brake pedal hard enough to stop it. The Jeep started bouncing down the rock steps :shock: and it got vicious! When we reached the bottom we got out and his Cherokee had a crinkle up the door post, across the roof and down the other side. Thankfully, that was the total of the damage if you don't count some seriously frazzled nerves.

Now, that little adventure came about because the Jeep has very little extra space for feet and pedals. Two pedals fit in there better than three.
BTW, the crinkle in his Cherokee flattened itself out over the next two months and then was gone. You've just got to love how tough Jeeps are. :)