It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Would you tow this with your CRD?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:53 pm 
LOST Member

http://www.a1warriortrailers.com/fk.htm

The 19Fk weekend warrior, I don't own it or anything just wondering if with a good sway controlling hitch, the crd could do it or do it safely.

Skids, lift, 235x85 Toyo Open country A/T
Glasspack Exhaust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:14 pm 
LOST Member

I wouldn't because you would be way over on your pin weight and c\rear axel weight rating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:24 pm 
LOST Member

I would say that it sounds like a bad idea to me as well. The trailer weight alone is more than the max towing for the CRD.

LOST#065178
2005 KJ Sport CRD
2.5" Daystar(F) Skyjacker(R) hybrid lift
245/75/16 MTRs on Moab rims
JKS Supernerf Rockrails/MOPAR skids
Aeroturbine 2525

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:42 pm 
LOST Member

The trailer weight is only 4000lbs. It is less that 4000 dry. And can carry up to 3000+. The manual says up to 23 ft or something like that. I would keep total weight below 5000 and toungue at 650.

Glasspack Exhaust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:35 am 
LOST Member

Perhaps I don't know enough about trailer specs to comment, but the specs for the trailer say the Gross Weight is over 7000 lbs. The towing capacity is only 6000 on the CRD. I wouldn't tow it with mine.

LOST#065178
2005 KJ Sport CRD
2.5" Daystar(F) Skyjacker(R) hybrid lift
245/75/16 MTRs on Moab rims
JKS Supernerf Rockrails/MOPAR skids
Aeroturbine 2525

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You can tow it empty fine with a sway control in place and trailer brakes. I tow a 19ft. Funfinder with no problems but mine is only 4800lbs. fully loaded with the tanks full. I wouldn't buy one with the intent of loading a bunch of motorcycles in it and loading it down with the camping gear for a weekend. The trailer would be so heavy it would drive you going down the road, fully loaded.

Check into it, there is a popup camper mounted on a flatbed trailer. You can load three or four fourwheelers or motorcycles on the trailer section and still have the convenience of a camper. They had three of four different sizes when I was looking. The biggest trailer was big enough to park a jeep behind the popup section.

If I'm not mistaken those popup flatbed trailer are pretty light empty.

Wes

http://www.cardomain.com/id/wesbronco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:28 pm 
LOST Member

BCool wrote:
The trailer weight is only 4000lbs. It is less that 4000 dry. And can carry up to 3000+. The manual says up to 23 ft or something like that. I would keep total weight below 5000 and toungue at 650.

Be careful about published weights for vehicles and trailers. In my experience - which isn't a whole lot - they are a tad optimistic. First, go weigh your CRD and find out how much it weighs with a full tank of gas and who ever will be taking a trip with you when you pull your trailer. Then you can subtract your loaded Jeeps weight from your GCVW to find out how much trailer you can pull. Next you can weigh just the rear axel to find out how much pin weight you can take. After that weight the trailer. Iw ould do all of this before buying it. I know my Dodge Ram was a lot heavier than what the book said it would be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:00 pm 
LOST Member

I would be concerned with the short wheelbase of the KJ pulling something with that much side area for the wind to catch. The KJ would probably pull it if you did not load it up, I would be more concerned about stopping it and controlling it in the event of an emergency.

2005 CRD Limited 4x4 - Deep Beryl Green - Selec-Trac
Trac-Lok - Skid Plates - BFG Radial Long Trail TA's- Rotella T 5W40 Synthetic.

2007 GC CRD Limited. Silver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:02 pm 
LOST Addict

He's right. The weight of this trailer is within the towing capacity of the CRD, and the tongue weight is fine also. The only problem you are going to have is the Jeeps short wheelbase...it'll wonder all over the road. I towed 4,000 lbs. with mine and couldn't even tell the trailer was back there (as far as weight is concerned) but once past 60 mph it started to wonder in the lane a bit.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:26 pm 
LOST Member

ok so the consensus is maybe, but its probably not the safest thing in the world. Do way distributing hitches and sway bars do any good for saftey? There are probably lighter shorter trailers out there, i'll look into it. Thankyou for all of your assistance. This is good info I like the towing threads.

Glasspack Exhaust

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You really need the sway control. I don't use the weight distribution towing the Funfinder. Without the sway control the trailer sways back and forth at speeds greater than 50 mph. I would check into something lighter and a bit shorter. I believe my parents Funfinder Travel Trailer is about as big as I would tow with the CRD. I did tow a 20 foot flat bed with a Suzuki Samurai on it last Sunday. It pulled it fine with no problems. The engine in the CRD will tow more than the uni-body and dimensions of the Jeep will let it. The trailer I tow is a T-189 FBR. Here's the specs. This summer I should be able to give a report on towing it up in the Smokey's. http://www.shadowcruiser.com/funfinder/specs.html

Speed is the evil in towing. The less speed the safer you are towing.

Wes

http://www.cardomain.com/id/wesbronco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:04 am 
LOST Member

Remeber that loading it also critical for trailer stability as well. A freind of my rolled their toy hauler because they had too much weight in the back of the trailer which resulted in too little tounge weight and instability while towing. A good tounge weight scale is cheap insurance. And again weight the Jeep and trailer, I think you'll be suprised.