It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thinking about a CRD
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Greetings,
New here, figured I better come to a good source before buying a CRD. I have read with interest all the posts concerning the CRD, and there is some great info here.

Couple of questions:
I see lots of folks read their malfunction codes. How is that accomplished?

Do y'all really see almost 500 miles per tank of fuel? From most of the posts it does sound like it lives up to the hype.

What pitfalls should I be aware of if I buy a CRD? Also, how many different types of diesel fuel are really out there and what works best?

Looking forward to gaining knowledge prior to dropping the $$.

Craig

1961 Willys Wagon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a late '05 and it has been in the shop 5 times, they have replaced my front sway bar bushings, reprogrammed my ecm, and my pcm, replaced my MAF sensor, and they can't figure out the 60-65 mph shudder! I know that the shudder is the torque converter locking and unlocking. Diesel fuel depends on where you are, here I can only get Diesel #2 which is normal petroleum based diesel. There is offroad diesel, but you can be fined for using it on the road from what I have been told, and there is bio-diesel which seems to be the best, but I can only get #2.
I understand that some company's make a premium diesel, but I have not found a supplier around here for that either, premium is higher quality #2 from what I understand. As for checking codes, auto zone and advance can read them and tell you what they mean! I am getting about 20mpg last time I checked, but I had a bad MAF sensor, but I know that winter blend fuel will cut fuel mileage. Where I live we have winter blend fuel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

If you are considering replacing your Wrangler, then as a daily driver hands-down the CRD rocks!

I had a '03 Wrangler Sport and let me tell you the biggest difference between that and the CRD... you can't do 85 MPH into a head-wind and still get 20+ MPG in a TJ! Although I haven't had mine on any serious trails yet, I'm no rock crawler and can see the Libby going everywhere I ever took my TJ (wide open desert and fire roads in the mountains).

Plus I can tow my boat so I got rid of my Yukon (a two for one deal).

As far as the difference in Diesel goes... if I buy the cheap stuff I get 20-21 MPG, if I buy good stuff from Shell I get 23+. I have to deal with pretty good hills going to work, and I don't drive slow so I might be able to do a little better if I slowed down.

Post subject: Re: Thinking about a CRD
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:27 pm 
LOST Addict

BigDuke6 wrote:
Greetings,
New here, figured I better come to a good source before buying a CRD. I have read with interest all the posts concerning the CRD, and there is some great info here.

Couple of questions:
I see lots of folks read their malfunction codes. How is that accomplished?

Do y'all really see almost 500 miles per tank of fuel? From most of the posts it does sound like it lives up to the hype.

What pitfalls should I be aware of if I buy a CRD? Also, how many different types of diesel fuel are really out there and what works best?

Looking forward to gaining knowledge prior to dropping the $$.

Craig

Yep, 500 miles from a tank of fuel, on the interstate at 75 mph no less. Did 512 miles on 17 gallons, from 20 miles west of Texarkana to just east of Nashville along I-30 and I-40, on Diamond Shamrock. Got similar MPG on B20 diodiesel. On my commute to work, about 25 to 26 combined, in the winter no less.

Getting rid of the stock muffler adds about 2 to 3 mpg city/combined and lowers EGT's. Switching to 5W40 synthetic and adding a Mann and Hummel Provent CCV filter prevents oil getting sucked into the intake system. Adding on an aftermarket fuel filter, ahead of the stock one, would be a good idea if you have to end up switching between biodiesel and #2, or going on long trips where the quality of diesel fuel might be questionable. Stock fuel filter costs $38 and is a PITA to change, aftermarket 2 micron I'm using is $15 and I can change it in 5 minutes.

After test driving one, use a flashlight and check the coolant reservoir for what looks like black sand, crawl underneath at look at it from the bottom if need be. It's casting sand from when they made the engine block, and if there's enough to cover the bottom of the reservoir the cooling system needs to be flushed and the oil changed as well as a precaution.

Stick to the large truck stops, or well used service stations where you know that they get a good bit of business from diesels. Try to avoid the small mom and pop stores with only a single diesel pump and below ground tanks.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Good info. Thanks! I do not plan on trading in my Wrangler for a CRD, I would be getting rid of my 93 Ford Explorer, which has been a good an faithful servent for 120K and is still doing good. I would possibly use my CRD to tow my Wrangler, and would certainly use it to tow my boat.

1961 Willys Wagon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:19 am 
LOST Newbie

After I traded in my Wrangler X for a Rubi last year and dedided that 12 MPG wouldn't quite cut it for me anymore, I decided on a CRD Sport in September. I get between 21-28 MPG depending on how much highway driving I do, and I'm taking it to the dealership for the first time tomorrow....to get its 1st service. 9800 miles, no problems at all. I miss the convertible aspect of the Wrangler, other than that I couldn't be happier. I checked with DC about a possible CRD Wrangler for 2007 or 2008 and they gave me a very corporate response that basically said "don't hold your breath". As far as diesel goes, finding a station isn't difficult, I just don't go under 1/4 tank unless I know where I can get it. And forget about pay at the pump....most diesel around here you have to pay inside which kind of sucks. Hope this helps....W

Post subject: NO WAY CRD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:48 am 
LOST Newbie

Please test drive mine it is within specifications according to Daimler Chrysler.

Email me I live in the Durango, Co. to Farmington, and NM. area.

I believe you will reconsider after driving. Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:12 pm 
LOST Member

I'll chime in with another positive post. I sold my 2000 TJ for the CRD. I did very little off-roading - my main use for the TJ was pulling my 10' covered motorcycle trailer. When doing that I got a whoping 9mpg. Now w/ the CRD I get 20 and it pulls much easier (not to mention 27-28 commuting). As someone else mentioned I do miss being able to take the top off but in actuality I only did that the first couple years I owned it. Besides, with the larger capacity of the CRD, we'll be replacing our Subaru wagon with a 2-seater so I'll get me sunshie that way.

Only problem I've had is the transmission filter TSB. Dealer fixed that and she's been spot-on. Hope to have this thing for a long time.

I don't think you're going to find a better tow vehicle for its size and price.

GDE Eco Tune and DPF delete
CB Engineering DPF delete pipe
EHM

Past (sold to Mountainman):
2005 Patriot Blue Liberty CRD Limited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:46 pm 
LOST Addict

I rolled 18,000 miles on my odometer yesterday. Not one single major problem yet. Mine has been in the shop for small things like transmission shifter, brake light switch, fog light replacement, etc. All covered under warranty. No problems at ALL with the engine, transmission, or drivetrain.

My record is 460 miles on a single tank of diesel. It takes about 18 gallons to fill up when I finally stop and the low fuel light is on.

The CRD is the best towing vehicle (as far as power goes) that I've ever owned including V8 full size pickup trucks. The short wheelbase keeps the CRD KJ from being excellent at towing.

I love my CRD and in the small to medium sized SUV world there is nothing better. I looked extensively for months...and nothing comes close to the Jeep KJ CRD.

Oh yeah..and I added a $171 lift kit, and new AT tires, and now I can follow TJs off road just about anywhere. So the CRD is fun there too.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:53 pm 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

I love this truck. I can't think of anything to compare it to. There really isn't anything out there. It definitely one of a kind.

I've had the tranny filter issue so far and that's it. Quick job, didn't take too much out of my life to have them fix it.

No complaints at all with this thing other than little stupid nit-picky things. But I get that whenever I switch vehicles.

Stupid nit-picky jumk list:
• The front windows have one-touch up, but not one-touch down
• The sunroof has one-touch open, but not one-touch close
• HVAC controls have only one setting for recirculate air
• Can't open any back windows which creates a fuel-sapping parachute when windows are open at speed (wish those little back windows would flip open like on minivans)
• Rubber cup holder liner has a drain hole in the bottom (if I wanted spilled things in my cupholder to drain I wouldn't need a cupholder liner...)
• Sunroof doesn't open ALL the way

Like I said, stupid little things. Things that I wouldn't even notice if I hadn't seen them designed differently on a different vehicle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:25 pm 
dog_party wrote:
I love this truck. I can't think of anything to compare it to. There really isn't anything out there. It definitely one of a kind.

I've had the tranny filter issue so far and that's it. Quick job, didn't take too much out of my life to have them fix it.

I agree. I enjoy it's uniqueness. Will it be obvious if I need the tranny oil return filter TSB? I will on rare occassion have a delayed shift into reverse first thing in the morning. Maybe lasts a long second, but that's it. My transmission serial number does fall into the range for the TSB. Otherwise, shifting is excellent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:32 pm 
LOST Member

I love my Liberty CRD and would recommend it highly. But:

dog_party wrote:
Stupid nit-picky jumk list:

Did you get this backwards? I swear mine have one-touch down but not up...
I always miss being in my VW which has one tuch up AND down.

dog_party wrote:
• The sunroof has one-touch open, but not one-touch close

Yeah, this annoys me too. Note to DC: Either all or nothing here guys, don't do the half assed attempt at convenience.

dog_party wrote:
• HVAC controls have only one setting for recirculate air

And there is no way to have floor or defrost without the AC turning on. It is hard wired to turn on on floor or defrost. Which is stupid - as I don't need the AC most of the time, only in the most humid conditions...

Additionally, there is no way to just have vents open. It is either FAN ON or completely off. Usually the fan on 1 is too high, and completely off is too low. Every other car I have owned if you had the system on, but the fan off - it would just vent air in (like a really low volume fan). My VW does this and so did my Chevy vans and my Mazda too.

And the vents really blast the back seat. People in the back seat get really good airflow - which means they often get blasted. :)

dog_party wrote:
• Can't open any back windows which creates a fuel-sapping parachute when windows are open at speed (wish those little back windows would flip open like on minivans)

Yeah, what the hell us up with this? They can do it on just about every other SUV or mini-van, how hard would it have been in the Libby - even if only on the Limited or something... It's not just the parachute effect, but the darn pressure buffeting is terrible on the Liberty - especially with a sunroof open - which the small vent windows in the back would fix...

dog_party wrote:
• Rubber cup holder liner has a drain hole in the bottom (if I wanted spilled things in my cupholder to drain I wouldn't need a cupholder liner...)

Maybe the cupholder liner is not so much for spills, but to help hold cups in the holder?

dog_party wrote:
• Sunroof doesn't open ALL the way

This is actually fairly common in many vehicles. Some for airflow and buffeting. Some due to roof shape. I am not sure why on the Liberty.

dog_party wrote:
Like I said, stupid little things. Things that I wouldn't even notice if I hadn't seen them designed differently on a different vehicle.

Exactly.

Here are a couple (few?) more that I have noticed that bug me.

• Crap booty Sirius system. For such an expensive option for it to not even have the functionality of the $99 units at Best Buy is simply wrong...
• Defrost doesn't keep wipers thawed out. Tough in icy/snowy conditions. Subarus now have heating elements under the wipers to keep them thawed. Liberty could use these as the defrost tends to go over where the wipers sit. I put the owners manual against the window to direct the hot air lower, and it helps... The defrost vents could point more directly at the windshield I suppose.
• The fuse panel doors rattle like crazy.
• There are no nice crossbars for the roof rack, like Nissan has. Crossbars that match the style and mount at the same height as the side rails. Nope - all the Mopar or aftermarket ones all mount on TOP of the side rails causing at best 3 inches of added height to use cross bars, and none of them look nice and round like the factory side rails.

I have had some of the common issues as well, but they seem to be working them out OK. Remember the CRD is a first year vehicle with small run numbers.

And yes, I know it is in Europe - but the CRD in the USA is not exactly the same as the European. The motor is slightly different, with different tuning and programming and runs on different fuel here.

I highly recommend this vehicle for mainly the same reasons most like it. Torque. Fuel economy. Ability to use Biodiesel. Decent Off-road capability (I am not hard core but I do like to do trails and camp and stuff like that). Awesome ski vehicle. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:21 pm 
Lifetime Member! LIBERTY OR DEATH
Lifetime Member!  LIBERTY OR DEATH

Not a big fan of quoting myself, but...
dog_party wrote:

D'OH! Yep, that's backwards. Sorry about that.

One touch up is a dream. Got used to that in my VW Jetta and was very spoiled by it. The VW sunroof was "almost one touch." Just spin a little dial 180 degrees and it closes itself. Very nice. Actually DC, if you're listening, I'd like a "WIDE OPEN" button. I want a button that opens everything ALL THE WAY when I push it (not hold it, come on, it's 2006 now). And, when I push it again, everything should close. That would kick buttocks. Make a key on the fob for it too. Hee hee.

Probably the biggest complaint I've heard about the Liberty is the location of the power window switches. Kinda strange to put them in the center, but (shrug), whatever. I got used to it, now I jam my hand into the ashtray of my Fiancee's car every time I get in there and try to open the windows. I got used to that FAST.

Again, don't get me wrong. I absolutely LOVE this truck. This thing is what I dreamed of having while I was driving that 86 Subaru Brat for all those years...and it's what I dreamed about all those years I drove that 92 Ford Ranger. Now I have it and I'm picking on stupid little tiny things.

IT'S A GREAT TRUCK AND I LOVE IT!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:27 pm 
LOST Member

alljeep wrote:
I agree. I enjoy it's uniqueness. Will it be obvious if I need the tranny oil return filter TSB? I will on rare occassion have a delayed shift into reverse first thing in the morning. Maybe lasts a long second, but that's it. My transmission serial number does fall into the range for the TSB. Otherwise, shifting is excellent.

That's it. If you have free time I'd try to take it in to have them do the filter replacement - no telling what insufficient xmission oil flow on startup could do to the torque converter.

GDE Eco Tune and DPF delete
CB Engineering DPF delete pipe
EHM

Past (sold to Mountainman):
2005 Patriot Blue Liberty CRD Limited