It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cheap Fix for Transfer Case Cable Bean Counter Bushing/Clip
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My transfer case shifter cable popped of the transfer case lever and left me in Part Time 4X4. Since the roads were slick, I got underneath and popped the cable back on and got it into Full Time 4X4 so i could keep going.
I went through the parts list and could not find the Bushing/Clip or even the Cable listed.

Will I need to make a new Bushing/Clip or buy the whole thing 52129243AF ~ 48 MPA?

Drove ~600+ miles in Full Time 4X4 to get home, only sucked a little more fuel.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

Last edited by warp2diesel on Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Transfer Case Cable Bean Counter Engineered Bushing/Clip
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

At least for the 2005 these parts appear to be listed in the parts manual in the 545 RFE automatic transmission section under gearshift controls. The cables are certainly there.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:56 am 
LOST Member

If you're talking about the little clip that holds the cable onto the transfer case shift lever (on the side of the TC) it's part of the shifter assembly and can't be purchased separately according to my dealer. I broke one about two years ago. I bought the assembly, but my temporary repair is still holding fine. I used a couple nylon bushings from an auto parts store (I think they are intended for wiper system repair) to hold it in place. It hasn't popped back off.

Here's my thread on it from a while back: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35211&start=0&hilit=transfer

Samco Hose Kit
Fumoto 102
Etecno1 GX3123 Steel 7V Glow Plugs
GDE FT Eco and Hot Tunes
JBA 4.5 UCAs
OME Lift

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ChesterCRD wrote:
If you're talking about the little clip that holds the cable onto the transfer case shift lever (on the side of the TC) it's part of the shifter assembly and can't be purchased separately according to my dealer. I broke one about two years ago. I bought the assembly, but my temporary repair is still holding fine. I used a couple nylon bushings from an auto parts store (I think they are intended for wiper system repair) to hold it in place. It hasn't popped back off.

Here's my thread on it from a while back: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35211&start=0&hilit=transfer

Thanks,

I plan to make up a fix like you did. For added security I will drill and tap a hole to have a retaining bolt so it will not pop off. Chrysler has a lot of stupid cases where they sell you the whole assembly instead of what you need. Replacement air cleaner clips with out buying a new housing is another example.
Kinda like a Heart transplant when bypass surgery or a stint is all that is needed. I hope the Bean Counter's Doc pulls the heart transplant stunt on him for making the decision to not sell the bushing separately. After all if the heart donor was a hog (pig), the Bean Counter might end up with more common sense. :BANANA:

Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

Post subject: Re: Cheap Fix for Transfer Case Cable Bean Counter Bushing/C
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

After considering some options, I went to ACE Hardware to get what I needed to make a clip.
Then I looked in the bins and found a Stainless Steel 1/4" Axle Snap Nut for $0.35 plus $0.03 Sales Tax.

Held it on and shoved it on the rest of the way with my pry bar.

DONE! :BANANA: :BANANA: :BANANA:

Next trip to ACE, I will pick up a spare and put it in the console. :idea:

Bean Counter, go pound some sand.

Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nice fix but as of July 2012 the plastic bushing (68064273ab) is available for $0.63. Working in that area is pretty tight given the minimal length of shift cable available to work with. While replacement of the plastic bushing (use pliers to press bushing out of cable end; push new bushing onto stud on transfer case shift lever; and use long screwdriver to press/pry shift cable end onto new bushing) the whole process would be easier (not counting access would be much better on a lift) if one unclipped the cable housing from the retainer just forward of the transfer case shift lever. However, the cable housing is clipped into place with a plastic retaining clip that may be easily damaged so if you elect to go this route get a spare cable retaining clip (68018106aa) for $2.33. Nice that I could get out of my very helpful local dealer's parts counter for under $5 with the retaining clip, a bushing to use, and 2 spare bushings (1 for me and 1 for stoutdog or whomever)

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:59 pm 
LOST Member

took less than 5 min and been on for almost 8 months. keep one in my truck.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:36 am 
LOST Member

Thanks for those part numbers and insight, Papa. I think a trip to local Jeep dealer is in order.

Hoosier CRD

#1 Liberty: '05 CRD Limited Stone White
(SOLD Dec. 2013)
#2 Liberty: ???
"Why guess when you can know?"- Carroll Smith

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

jlgail4309 wrote:
took less than 5 min and been on for almost 8 months. keep one in my truck.

My TC shifter cable detached yesterday in a parking lot. Thanks to everyone on this thread for all this great information on what I thought was going to be a big repair. I went with the cotter pin solution, and it seems to be working fine (although I am keeping a few extras in the glove box :D ).

TV

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for all the good info! I went to the local Jeep dealer and told them I needed the transfer case shift assembly bushing. The guy quoted me 25 bucks and I'd have to wait to have it shipped. I said "Wait a minute, I only want that little piece of plastic... you know, the bushing". He said yes, and that is 25 dollars. I repeated "Just the little piece of plastic?" he said yes, 25 dollars.
I WILL NEVER GO BACK THERE TO BUY ANY PARTS AT ALL!!! I told him that's ok. I'd rather buy a little pair of vice grips and clamp the thing together.

Anyway, on Amazon, I did a search on 68064273ab and the right little piece of plastic came right up. They charge 3 bucks.... but order soon, there is only 5 left! :)

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... 68064273ab