It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: ABS light on, Tripometer and Odometer don't work
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

Does anyone know what the part number or where besides the dealer I can get the female pigtail for the 05 CRD rear ABS sensor that mounts in the differential? I have the above issues and changing sensor did nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have an 05 with the same ABS light only issue. Once I start the jeep, all idiot lights turn off. As I begin to drive, I feel a shudder from the anti-lock brake in the front driver side wheel. Once I hit aound 20mph the yellow ABS light illuminates (without any other idiot lights lit) and the ABS system appears to go off line. A neighbor is a manager at a local GM dealer. He brought home and attached the most high tech ABS code reading system (giant color tablet computer) I could possible imagine. As we drove through the neighborhood, the reader had a graphical display of the 4 wheels on the jeep. The speed of each wheel was displayed. All wheels were displaying the proper speed (40mph). The front drivers side wheel speed would drop from 40 to 15 then randomly move in between. We concluded it was a bad sensor. We replaced this sensor. The problem persisted. We next replaced the pigtail that the sensor plugs into. He also replaced all wiring from this sensor into the ABS Hub (?). The problem remained. He has concluded it is time for the Jeep to go to the Jeep dealership. I don't punt that easily! I called the dealership. They want to "look it over" and possibly replace the ABS module. However, the service tech mentioned this does not sound like a bad ABS Module...
I next called Keith with Green Diesel Engineering. Keith had experience with a similar issue. He resolved it by replacing the wheel hub the sensor is plugged into as it had become fouled. He thinks I may be experiencing the same issue. I hope to clean the area in the hub tonight. I will update this post as I learn more...

Note: I am a bit concerned as this is an 05 which only has one rear speed sensor yet the ABS reader displayed two rear sensors. Keith seemed to think the snazzy ABS code reader was pulling the single sensor speed and applying it to both wheels. He was not too worried about the graphic.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:13 am 
LOST Newbie

When my sensor went bad it was because my hub was going bad. The hub was getting so hot the sensor would fail. I replaced the hub and sensor and never had a problem again.

Low-PSI inline fuel pump
workin' on it

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

It must now be my turn.

On vacation I took my '05 CRD out on the sandy beaches north of Corolla, NC where the wild horses live. We rode in 4WD low for about 45 minutes or so. Suddenly the ABS lamp came on along with an audible ding-ding warning. As I didn't want to leave the CRD on the beach while the tide came in I drove it out to a safe paved area. Let it sit for a while and drove back to our beach house. The ABS went off less than a minute later as we drove. Later, I drove it to dinner and the ABS lamp came on again. After dinner it went off just as we headed back to the house, but came on a few miles later.

No more problems for two days until today when we headed home. Home was 6 hours away - and the ABS came on about 20 minutes into the drive home. We stopped twice on the trip home. Each stop the ABS would go off shortly after starting out. Then come on and stay on. I hadn't noticed earlier, but during the trip home, the trip and vehicle odometer was not incrementing during the time the ABS lamp was on. Apparently my car computer wasn't reading the miles either as it eventually said I was getting 3.1 mpg! (not true).

So I'm thinking the deep sand may have moved/dislodged/mucked up one of my ABS speed sensors. Will try to get under there tomorrow and have a look. Will post if I find anything definitive.

Hawk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

It turned out my issue was caused by a bad hub. I had already replaced the sensor- which did not resolve the issue. After speaking with a Chrysler mechanic, he suggested I replace the hub before anything else as the hub has a higher failure rate than other parts we suspected. Upon purchasing the front driver's side hub I was suprised to see it came with a new speed sensor. The hub replacement resolved my issue. My speedometer, odometer, and ABS brakes are all properly functioning. I knew it was the front drivers side as I could feel the ABS brakes shudder a bit on that wheel alone at slow speed as if the system was attempting to resolve an issue in that wheel. It also helped to have temporary access to a $5000 ABS computer diagnostic toll which pointed out failures of the front drivers side wheel. Now, if I could just reclaim my Jeep from my 17 year old daughter (Daddy's little girl)...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sorry to resurrect an old thread by my '05 TJ is experiencing the same problem. My ABS light comes on and the ABS kicks off randomly when braking, typically pulling towards the driver's side.

I'm about to replace the hubs to see if this fixes the issue. Should I replace the hubs as a pair or just the driver's side as it appears the one that is the culprit?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have an older TJ and yours is a newer model, they may be the same, but you may try this, disconnect the sensor terminals and measure resistance across the wheel speed sensor..... spec is 900-1300ohms, also measure the resistance between each pin and ground, spec is 15k or above.

Or refer to a manual for your model year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

asys1962 wrote:
Hi everyone! I'm a new member.
I have KJ, 3.7 L, end of 2004, looks like model 2005 year.

As this is a different issue, I'm going to spin it off into a new topic called "Brake and ABS lights coming on intermittently"

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

This site has been really great and helpful to find out what issues i have with my CRD and what/where to look. I had this issue as well with the odometer not working, brake light on etc....from most posts people reported that more then likely the issue was with the wiring on the speed sensor on the rear diff. Sure enough i disconnected the plug and looking closely one wire was broken inside the plastic sheathing...not visible. I cut the wire changed out the wire to something a little more robust as this wire was really cheap and brittle. What a terrible design...anyhow just doing this simple repair, light is off and odometer is back to working! You guys saved me some money so thanks.

Also had issue with that limp mode even though I have the GDE tune and regularly cleaned the map sensor. Didn't realize it was a very sensitive unit and perhaps all the removal and cleaning finally did it in. This sensor is so expensive but I found a great site that I want to give back to you guys for being so helpful. Check out a site called Idparts, dont want to post the URL here if that is frowned upon. Got the sensor for 20 bucks and jeep is flying again.

thanks all

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Welcome and glad you were able to get your problem fixed. DIY repairs always seem so much more satisfying than having it done by a shop or dealership.

I think everyone here is well familiar withIDParts. Other suppliers along that same vein are Sasquatch Parts, and Green Diesel Engineering, They are all suppliers that normally perform service above and beyond any expectaion of mine, and I suppose there are many others that have saved a great deal of $ and frustration by taking their situation to them rather than a stealership or a jobber shop.

Happy Jeeping!

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:27 pm 
LOST Member

GaCRD05 wrote:
Happened to me too around 113k miles. Changed the sensor on the diff first, didn't solve the problem. Then I changed the female end on the wire side. That solved it. On the positive side it was a cheap fix, but a bit of a pain to figure out.

When you say the female end on the wire side, you mean the hub assembly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk