It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: ABS light on, Tripometer and Odometer don't work
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Gabe Watt wrote:
turbobike wrote:
just an FYI......while this problem is USUALLY related to the rear ABS sensor/wiring......it isn't necessarily the problem. Check the front sensors & wiring, too. I was on the same witch hunt as you. I replaced the rear sensor and the pigtail connecting to it. (oh-and the 1st pigtail I purchased was defective !) Replaced it with a known to be good pigtail (the ohmmeter is your friend.) Still had the problem. Finally checked the front sensors & found wire leading to right wheel sensor was worn thru in 1 spot and grounding out to the frame. Replaced that pigtail and everything works as it should.

when you say right do you mean the passenger side?

i just checked the front sensor wires and i couldnt find anything wrong, i will try to look more in depth this weekend. but as far as i knew the odometer (which still isnt working, the speedo works and the brake light on the dash is NOT on, just the ABS light) is read off of the rear sensor, not the front. i may just have to bite the bullet and take it to a shop to have them pull the code and help me figure this out.

I assume the brake warning light tests ok during the start-up instrument light test. If so this is something different than the normal rear diff sensor failure.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yup, brake warning light works just fine.

Low-PSI inline fuel pump
workin' on it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Turns out it was the front passenger side abs sensor. The sensor broke while still in the housing, take a look at the pictures.

Yeah, needless to say, it was a pain in the booty to get the broken sensor out. I had to drill a pilot hole, thread in a screw, and lever the sonofagun out.

Threw the new one on, and a few feet from putting it in drive the abs light went off and the odo started working again.

Low-PSI inline fuel pump
workin' on it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Gabe Watt wrote:
Turns out it was the front passenger side abs sensor. The sensor broke while still in the housing, take a look at the pictures.

Yeah, needless to say, it was a pain in the booty to get the broken sensor out. I had to drill a pilot hole, thread in a screw, and lever the sonofagun out.

Threw the new one on, and a few feet from putting it in drive the abs light went off and the odo started working again.

Congratulations
Lewis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:07 am 
LOST Newbie

kind of an older thread but this is exactly my issue right now and I would rather post here than create a new thread.

My brake light and ABS light comes on and the odometer does not work. When I shut the CRD down it resets and they shut off then come back on anywhere from 1/2 mile to 100 miles down the road.

should I start by going to get the rear dif speed sensor replaced?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'd look for broken or grounded wires first. On the 2005 the wire back near the rear diff sensor is reported to be weak. Seems to me I've seen a continuity test method on the forum but I don't have time to look right now.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:47 am 
LOST Newbie

I stopped to get some diesel on the way home from work today and I noticed some heat coming from the rear left brake. I spit on it and it sizzled like crazy. So I went to the other ones and splashed a little water and they were cool. So I think there is something wrong with the left rear brake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:40 am 
LOST Addict

VS,

If your odometer works for a short time after each restart, I doubt the sensor is bad. I have not seen this thread for some time and did not know that the path for the rear speed sensor apparently goes through the right front speed sensor.

Definitely sounds like a wiring issue in your case.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:15 am 
LOST Addict

Gabe,

Not having had one of these apart myself, it is not clear to me from your pictures what constitutes a "failure" of the sensor. You imply that it is visible. Is it actually internal and thus, not visible in your photos?

Thanks,

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have had rear diff sensors work for short periods before tripping the ABS lights. If out of warranty, rear sensor is inexpensive and easy to replace. Might be a good time to replace rear diff fluids.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

So when you say I have a wiring issure in the cage is do you mean I have to go and replace the rear dif sensor as the other guy suggested.

Sorry guys very new to all of this and I know I should use the search button as I suggest it all the time on PWCtoday.com where I know alot more than I do here. Just trying to learn and I will hopefully be able to contribute back to the forum in the future

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well I ordered the rear dif sensor tonight should have it tomorrow and see what happens

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

I too am having an issue sound very similar to these.
06 Liberty CRD.
ESP light comes on and intermitantly the ABS light will come on and then at the same time the Spedo and Tac drop off. This may last for a second or maybe for hour. or it may just keep going on and off, with a nice little ding from the Jeep to annoy you at the same time.
I have had this probelm for months now and I am going to check out my wiring tomorrow. I am glad I found this forum.
The Jeep dealer can't seem to find the problem yet, so either I look my self or pay them tons more money to look.
They already had me replace an ABS modual and a Body Control modual too. Not cheap.
I find all dealerships do is try and replace moduals without digging to much into the problem.

I like the CRD. But this thing is killing me for money. I also just did a tranny rebuild and altenator. I still have to do breaks and Time Belt and waterpump too :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:55 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

One of the wires is broken.

The break happens closest to the connector and can't be seen because the break is covered under the wire insulation.

Replace the connector and wires and wrap the new wires tight with black electrical tape.

Make sure that the wires are on correctly +/-, because the code will not go away otherwise and you will be fooled to think it was not the problem.

You will need to drive the vehicle for a minute so that the rear wheels roll for about 30 to 50 feet, in order for the light to go away after you make the repair.

If the wires are not on correctly the light remains on and the only way to test it is by driving it.

This if for a 2005 CRD.

Ask me how I know.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/6781/img4089alt.jpg

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/6058/img4103alt.jpg

http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/149/img4097alt.jpg

not sure why these pictures are not visable.
But I isolated the problem I think.
as an aside, I could not find and rear differential sensor. I did find to seperate ABS sensor connection on each rear wheel bearing hub.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:30 pm 
LOST Junkie

You have a 2006. There is no rear differential sensor. What you have is correct....sensor at each wheel.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

WolverineFW wrote:
You have a 2006. There is no rear differential sensor. What you have is correct....sensor at each wheel.

thanks for confirming.
do you happen to know what the lead is I am having trouble with? I circled it in the above photos.

thanks,

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Gabe Watt wrote:
I have an 05 KJ CRD with 86K on it. No tunes or real mods, bare bones stock. Cruise control works, horn works, and no other lights are on. My code reader doesn't read ABS codes.

I have done some reading and it seems like some faulty wiring or some really dirty wheels might be my problem, and I'm going to take a look tomorrow. But has anyone ever heard of this before? The Jeep drives just fine, stops and starts no problem. Just kinda confused.

I had this happen to me recently...when the front left wheel gets packed with snow the abs light will come on and the odometer will stop.
Go to the car wash and flush it out.
Also the abs connector is behind the battery. Follow the wire from the top of the LH wheel well opening.

05 CRD Sport Radiant Silver $13,5k 77k(sold 10/11)
05 CRD LIMITED Radiant Silver $17k 70k(sold 12/11)
05 CRD LIMITED Black Green $16k 60k(sold 12/11)
05 CRD SPORT Black $15,9k 93k(in stock)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:05 am 
LOST Newbie

stoonCRD wrote:
Gabe Watt wrote:
I have an 05 KJ CRD with 86K on it. No tunes or real mods, bare bones stock. Cruise control works, horn works, and no other lights are on. My code reader doesn't read ABS codes.

I have done some reading and it seems like some faulty wiring or some really dirty wheels might be my problem, and I'm going to take a look tomorrow. But has anyone ever heard of this before? The Jeep drives just fine, stops and starts no problem. Just kinda confused.

I had this happen to me recently...when the front left wheel gets packed with snow the abs light will come on and the odometer will stop.
Also the abs connector is behind the battery. Follow the wire from the top of the LH wheel well opening.

That is the wire that is giving me grief. I have to get it replaced this week.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

The Newfie Bullet wrote:
stoonCRD wrote:
Gabe Watt wrote:

That is the wire that is giving me grief. I have to get it replaced this week.

I think it is the driver side ABS wire. However it turns out that is not my problem. I have a short somewhere in the wire harness that connects to the ESP modual, right behind that wire in the photos.