It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best battery for the CRD
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:11 am 
LOST Newbie

I have an interstate bat that is 3 years old, during cold weather I have little cranktime, about 2 10 sec cranks and then she dies..cranks up fine in warm weather looking to replace it, but want to put a battery that is made for cold weather diesels..any ideas?? Optima??

Post subject: Re: Best battery for the CRD
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:46 am 
LOST Junkie

I bought a lead acid battery from Advanced Auto 3 years ago when my optima failed prematurely. It has 1000 cranking amps and 800CCA and has performed flawlessly for me. It was -6 deg F overnite low last nite and she fired up just fine for my wife this morning. I think its a group 34 battery. If you don't drive on highway regularly a weekly charge on a battery charger may help extend battery life.

The following thread is about this topic and should provide you some insight. The only thing a diesel needs is good CCAs. I'm very happy with my choice.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56628&p=629895&hilit=battery&sid=335ffacd39b31b56b70fe98ece4a820b#p629895

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The Odyssey battery - also sold as the Sears Platinum - is supposed to be really good.
the new Optimas haven't been as reliable as older ones.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I got the Sears version of the Odyssey. Its very strong.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:16 pm 
LOST Addict

Drewd wrote:
I bought a lead acid battery from Advanced Auto 3 years ago when my optima failed prematurely. It has 1000 cranking amps and 800CCA and has performed flawlessly for me. It was -6 deg F overnite low last nite and she fired up just fine for my wife this morning. I think its a group 34 battery. If you don't drive on highway regularly a weekly charge on a battery charger may help extend battery life.

The following thread is about this topic and should provide you some insight. The only thing a diesel needs is good CCAs. I'm very happy with my choice.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56628&p=629895&hilit=battery&sid=335ffacd39b31b56b70fe98ece4a820b#p629895

I have the same Battery. got mine in November 2009. got my CRD in august that year and had a few slow cranking issues that september. Had the optima tested was low on charge but they said was fine, charged it and sent me off. in November it failled to start it one morning I had lights and all but as soon as I tried to engage the starter it all went dead, I got a jump and went and got a new the battery. So far so good, this is the second winter with it. good price too... Around $100

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:15 pm 
LOST Member

Just put in a Sears Platinum a few weeks ago....doing great. I think it is the best deal for the CRD given that the Red Top is now under new owneship and their quality is reportedly not as good as it was in the past.

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

I went with the Duralast "Gold" from Autozone, $100.
Could not justify $188 for a red top!!!!

John

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:49 pm 
LOST Member

i went with the sears platinum after I couldn't get the negative cable to fit correctly on the post.

optima started quicker but the sears is supposed to be bettery. check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7bOF94Iq70

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Which Platinum? I was looking at the Platinum P-1 and Sears wants $209 http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... ockType=G4

Looks like a good battery but that is a lot of money. Maybe there is a better battery for that price?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:17 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I saw a Duracell group 34 battery that has 800 CCA for $99.99 ($100) It's the left one on this page. the center one is a AGM type.
http://www.driveduracell.com/

Joe :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:03 am 
LOST Newbie

After almost 6 six years, my original Optima red top was too weak to start the engine in sub zero, new years eve temperature after a 5 day park at the airport. I replaced it with the Walmart Maxx 34N for $77. This battery gives 800 cca, which exceeds the rating of the original Optima.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:31 pm 
LOST Member

I am on my 4th Walmart Maxx 34n battery in 3 years. Great warranty, but I noticed this battery is made by Johnson control this time around. I think I may scrap the Walmart batt this spring for a Sears Platinum. I am tired of the reliability issues. For what it is worth though, I have twin maxx batts in my 250, and a single maxx in my merc and they are fine. The crd just eats batts for lunch.

85 F250 6.9 Diesel 250,000 miles
82 Mercedes 240D 330,000 miles
81 Mercedes 240D 285,000 miles
My kids think gas is only for lawn equipment!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sears Platinum P-1 group 34 battery almost perfect fit. OEM hold down clamp works fine but doesn't need to be screwed down as far as OEM red top; discard factory red top "blanket". Be sure to install with + post in the same position as the red top (e.g. toward drivers side of engine bay) and both cables will fit fine although the - one needs a slight (really slight by hand) bend from factory. Lots of chat about the Platinum P-4 but the only difference is the P-4 has BOTH top and side terminals and we do not need the latter which should be avoided anyway as they are apparently a bit weak. I paid $198+tax+disposal fee based on in store pickup and owner install.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

My 34 series Interstate battery just died. It was only 13 months old. However, a local dealer replaced it free under warranty and I didn't even buy it from them (battery was in it when I bought it last year). :BANANA:

I think it was trying to warn me, as it was throwing an occasional CEL that would eventually go out.

Only those who do not move do not die...but are they not already dead? Jean Behra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:44 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well I took my interstate magnetron II bat down to the local interstate battery dealer and they found it was bad and replaced it and installed it for free it was under warranty and it was in the car when I bought it..the new bat works great!! will stick with interstate from now on...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:26 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Best battery for the CRD? That's easy: A BIG ONE.

The only thing our CRD wants is happy cranking amps, and lots of them. It doesn't matter whether they from from a standard wet cell lead acid or from a gel-cell Optima.
I will say that I replaced my dead Optima with a Wally-World Maxx... And the thing has been getting slower and slower to crank the engine as the weather has been colder. The battery is only a year old, but typical Wal=Mart quality: Not much. I took it in to get it replaced, and they now have a mandatory we-must-test-it-for-hours policy, as well as (at least in South Florida) a policy that you MUST have the original sales receipt in order to get a replacement battery.

Cute.

Would that be the original sales receipt that was printed on thermal paper that bleaches itself clean in about 45 days, or darkens to 100% opaque grey fuzz if in the presence of a moderate amount of heat, like say... in the "receipt pouch" that is glued to THE BATTERY ITSELF?
Yea... So no receipt for me. Their magical machine chewed on the battery for 90 minutes, and shoved a charge into it, then told me that the 1000 CA battery (850 cca) was able to put out 1020 amps, so it is good.

Hmm. It does seem to be performing properly at-the-moment... But I don't trust it to keep living if we get another bad cold snap. I know the alternator is charging, my radar detector has a volt meter gauge on screen all the time. 14.6 volts measured most recently. Interestingly enough, before Wal-Mart's machine chewed on the battery, the volt meter reading was 14.2 usually. I don't know if the contacts got jostled or the battery just needed a high-amp charge to clean the plates... But it seems to be OK for the moment.

Next battery will be from Costco, to match all my other vehicles. 36 month FULL REFUND from Costco on all their batteries. Great company.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

geordi wrote:
Best battery for the CRD? That's easy: A BIG ONE.

The only thing our CRD wants is happy cranking amps, and lots of them. It doesn't matter whether they from from a standard wet cell lead acid or from a gel-cell Optima.
I will say that I replaced my dead Optima with a Wally-World Maxx... And the thing has been getting slower and slower to crank the engine as the weather has been colder. The battery is only a year old, but typical Wal=Mart quality: Not much. I took it in to get it replaced, and they now have a mandatory we-must-test-it-for-hours policy, as well as (at least in South Florida) a policy that you MUST have the original sales receipt in order to get a replacement battery.

Cute.

Would that be the original sales receipt that was printed on thermal paper that bleaches itself clean in about 45 days, or darkens to 100% opaque grey fuzz if in the presence of a moderate amount of heat, like say... in the "receipt pouch" that is glued to THE BATTERY ITSELF?
Yea... So no receipt for me. Their magical machine chewed on the battery for 90 minutes, and shoved a charge into it, then told me that the 1000 CA battery (850 cca) was able to put out 1020 amps, so it is good.

Hmm. It does seem to be performing properly at-the-moment... But I don't trust it to keep living if we get another bad cold snap. I know the alternator is charging, my radar detector has a volt meter gauge on screen all the time. 14.6 volts measured most recently. Interestingly enough, before Wal-Mart's machine chewed on the battery, the volt meter reading was 14.2 usually. I don't know if the contacts got jostled or the battery just needed a high-amp charge to clean the plates... But it seems to be OK for the moment.

Next battery will be from Costco, to match all my other vehicles. 36 month FULL REFUND from Costco on all their batteries. Great company.

Optima's are not gell-celled.The P1 has a 4 year free replacement warranty and then another 100month prorated warranty after the 4 years.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:11 am 
LOST Newbie

I went w the p1 platinum after the red top wore out at 70k. The jeep starts right up now, I hope to not need another one for at least five years.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:22 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
At $200 for a P-1... Oof. I think I'll stick with $60 from Costco, or even the $79 from Wally World. Nothing a battery does can be worth that much more.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:34 am 
LOST Newbie

I just put in a 34DLG duralast gold from Autozone, it does the trick nicely!! I liked how the DLG battery performed in my TDI and I work at the zone so I get a discount :lol: