It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Best battery for the CRD
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:26 pm 
LOST Addict

geordi wrote:
At $200 for a P-1... Oof. I think I'll stick with $60 from Costco, or even the $79 from Wally World. Nothing a battery does can be worth that much more.

Yeah, either the Jeep starts or it doesn't. Right?

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:23 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Yea, really. And if there was some special reason why a diesel couldn't have a "normal" battery, I think I would know about it from this forum or from personal experiences. Nothing on that vein, so why spend the money for a LOT MORE expensive version of the same thing that will last just as long?

I like the idea of a Costco battery anyway, b/c of the longer full-refund warranty (as well as the lower starting price) b/c they will recycle the battery anyway when you bring it back in, so it isn't like they are losing money on the product. I only got the Wally-World unit b/c there wasn't a Costco within 3 hours of where I was in Virginia. I hated that place, middle of nowhere.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you do rock crawling or very ruff off roading a AGM deep cycle is your best bet but for everyday commuting you buy the biggest maintenance free battery you can fit in from superstore (AKA Costco,Walmart...)with the best waranty.

Or for techno geek you can buy this Porche litium ion for just $1700 :ROTFL:

Samco/OME/Bilstein/JBA4.5/Mattech BTA Machined trans valve body
/BF rugged terrain 245/75/16 on MOAB

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:41 am 
LOST Junkie

Anybody hear of this type of battery? ODYSSEY AGM Drycell battery

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1500.htm

PC 1500 DT Design:

Absorbed glass mat (AGM) technology
12V pure lead VRLA
SAE Group 34/78 footprint - dual purpose
Rugged construction
Top tin plated brass SAE terminals and side receptacle 3/8-16UNC-2B terminals
Can be mounted in any orientation
Lifting handle
US DOT and IATA certified non-spillable
Shipped fully charged
Container and cover made from oil resistant plastic
Performance features:

PHCA: 1,500 at 80°F (27°C)
CCA: 880A at 0°F (-18°C)
CA/MCA: 1,050 at 32°F (0°C)
HCA: 1,250A at 80°F (27°C)
Reserve capacity: 135 minutes
Short circuit current: 3,100A
Deep cycling capability: 400 at 80% DOD
Design life: 12 years
Typical service life: 6 to 8 years
Operation temperature range: -40°F
(-40°C) to 176°F (80°C)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Drewd wrote:
Anybody hear of this type of battery? ODYSSEY AGM Drycell battery

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1500.htm

PC 1500 DT Design:

Absorbed glass mat (AGM) technology
12V pure lead VRLA
SAE Group 34/78 footprint - dual purpose
Rugged construction
Top tin plated brass SAE terminals and side receptacle 3/8-16UNC-2B terminals
Can be mounted in any orientation
Lifting handle
US DOT and IATA certified non-spillable
Shipped fully charged
Container and cover made from oil resistant plastic
Performance features:

PHCA: 1,500 at 80°F (27°C)
CCA: 880A at 0°F (-18°C)
CA/MCA: 1,050 at 32°F (0°C)
HCA: 1,250A at 80°F (27°C)
Reserve capacity: 135 minutes
Short circuit current: 3,100A
Deep cycling capability: 400 at 80% DOD
Design life: 12 years
Typical service life: 6 to 8 years
Operation temperature range: -40°F
(-40°C) to 176°F (80°C)

Same battery sitting under my hood right now,same as the Sears P1 also just in a gray case.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:52 pm 
LOST Junkie

Well, mine wouldn't start my CRD yesterday at -18deg F. It was ok earlier this winter with temps down to -6 deg F and I assumed she was holding steady. I find it hard to believe how it worked great earlier in the week but yesterday after glow plug light went out and lift pump was fully pressuring fuel in the line, it wouldn't even turn the motor over! Fortunately I have a 200-amp battery charger/jump start assist that got me to work yesterday. Once it warmed up to -3 (high temp for the day), it started just fine on my drive back home from work.

Couldn't find the original receipt to obtain waranty coverage and picked up a replacement Costco battery for $69 bucks. If it lasts 3 years I'll be happy and will have costs me only 2 bucks a month to own, less than a small starbucks latte.

I wish my wife's Jeep's Grand Cherokee battery could fit in the liberty, it has 950CCA and had no problems starting up her vehicle the past two days (-18 deg F yesterday and -10 deg this morning) and it 3 years, 2 months old and has been badly abused-run for full work week last month with dead alternator getting recharged each nite for next day's use.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:52 pm 
LOST Member

I've been having cold start issues, and I've been running down the list addressing possibilities (air in the line, fuel filter, lift pump filter, etc.). Last night I removed the Optima Red Top 34/78 that was in it when I purchased it four years ago. I figured four years was long enough for a battery, but found a sticker on the side that you couldn't see while the battery was in the bay that said "9/09." So... I'd say 7 years is pretty good for a battery, especially as much as I drain it to nothing since my CRD has such trouble starting in the cold. After such a great performance for so many years, I was tempted to put another Red Top in, but they're $200 at Advance (though you can get them for $155 on Amazon).

Money's a little tight, so I've been thinking Costco. They don't have the Kirkland re-brand with the Kirkland warranty anymore (100 months!!! are you kidding me?!), but the warranty is 42 months, it's a Costco replacement warranty (swap it out at any location), they are Interstate, and they are much cheaper than at the Interstate store (go figure).

When you go in to Costco, they have "fitment codes," and they'll want to sell you the "number 4" (it's kind of like ordering a meal at McDonald's). However, the number 4 only has 800CCA. The number 9, with 850CCA, looked better to me. It's bigger (which seems like a good thing), but with some slight modification to the battery pan, it will fit pretty easily. I've got it in there now, and my CRD fired up without a blink. The batteries made for our CRD's are 7x10 at the base, and this one is 7x12, so I just trimmed the edge of the battery pan on the motor side to let it stick out over the edge. The battery still clamps down with the original base clamp, since it's the same dimension across, and there's still plenty of clearance between the battery and engine cover.

The battery was $93. Seriously. With the 42 month warranty from Costco, I can't imagine getting a better deal on a national brand battery with 850 cold crank amps.

I guess time will tell if I take a hit in quality/performance making a decision based on money, but right now, I'm pretty freakin' happy.

p.s. The Sears Platinum series batteries are no longer available (the "gold" is now top of the line), and that Odyssey 1500 is a wopping $275, and I just can't bring myself to spend a third of the cost of a new Suncoast TC on my battery.

05 CRD Limited (black), factory skids, Fumoto Valve, ARP Studs, Hayden HD fan clutch, EGR delete, Seyfert CRD Stage 2, 225/70R16, EGT gauge

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:13 pm 
LOST Member

I got a Duracell group 34 battery AMG 3 years free replacement at Sams Club for $125

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:19 pm 
LOST Member

I have a 6 years old marine deep cycle Odyssey in my jeep. its rated @ 880 cca but she test at 1120 cca

best battery ever !!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:30 pm 
LOST Member

Location: Virginia, west of D.C. / In the middle of moving to Roanoke
Yeah, that 100 month warranty was nice... <<le-sigh>>

otoh, if you let your Costco membership lapse - they don't care about your warranty, you're dead to them.
:furious:
Just so's you know.

I got a Sam's membership when they came to town because they carried Diesel, and Costco didn't.
And I didn't need both.
Thats when I found out about the warranty policy.

I've since moved to Roanoke.
Sam's is ~30 miles away, Costco is ~70 miles away. :dizzy:

- Weeks Kit Stage 1.
- Weeks Kit Stage 2.
- JBA 2.5 inch Silver kit and UCAs installed at 125K miles.
- Weeks supplied Samco Intercooler Hoses and clamps.

Waiting for time, limber fingers, and good weather to do my HDS Model 001 Thermostat unit swap.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:45 pm 
LOST Member

crasher wrote:
otoh, if you let your Costco membership lapse - they don't care about your warranty, you're dead to them.

FWIW (and for others who see this), you should be able to get the warranty honored if you've got a friend or relative with a Costco membership who's willing to say it's theirs.

05 CRD Limited (black), factory skids, Fumoto Valve, ARP Studs, Hayden HD fan clutch, EGR delete, Seyfert CRD Stage 2, 225/70R16, EGT gauge

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:55 pm 

Whatever you do, get the largest AGM battery with 800 or greater CCA that will fit in your stock or modified tray!!! :wink:
Also,
Be aware Seth at Sasquatch has developed and is selling a nice well engineered complete battery tray replacement kit that allows the fitment of a group 65 battery which is bigger in size and performance than a stock group 34 battery.
I have one of them on order!

See this thread for details: > viewtopic.php?f=5&t=85525

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've mentioned before that lots of battery places go by the "book" and some try to go so far as to say the only battery that will fit is an OEM. For the record the OEM battery was a Group 34R (poles reversed), 700CCA, AGM - based on just now looking at my original OEM battery that I occasionally use to start a boat motor. In point of fact any good (AGM or maintenance free) Group 34 battery with sufficient CCA will do; if it's a plain Group 34 just install "backwards" so the poles are reversed like OEM as the battery cables will reach although the - one may need a slight bend at the end. Lots of folks appear to use Costco in the US. I tend toward Interstate, now that the Sears P-1 is not an option for a new purchase, where options include - MT7-34 or 34R (800 CCA) which is pricey; or MTP-34 (800 CCA) for ca. $140; MT-34 (700 CCA same as OEM) for ca. $130. All fit with no battery tray mods but the best for the price and warranty is likely the MTP-34.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:21 pm 
LOST Member

papaindigo wrote:
Lots of folks appear to use Costco in the US. I tend toward Interstate, now that the Sears P-1 is not an option for a new purchase, where options include - MT7-34 or 34R (800 CCA) which is pricey; or MTP-34 (800 CCA) for ca. $140; MT-34 (700 CCA same as OEM) for ca. $130. All fit with no battery tray mods but the best for the price and warranty is likely the MTP-34.

FWIW, Costco batteries are Interstate batteries. They are just cheaper than at the Interstate store (by quite a bit).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:52 am 
LOST Newbie

Been reading this thread, and here's what I ended up with...
Oreilly's Super Start Platinum AGM, group 34, CCA 775, $184.99 on 9-10-2018
Fits fine, has top and side posts.
I couldn't find any AGM battery for less.

2005 CRD Limited Lt Khaki - 2" Lift, 265/75-15 on Rubicon Moabs, Suncoast, Transgo, E7181M Airtex fuel pump, V-6 Airbox, EHM, Tranny Cooler, Solid Axle Rear Diff Cover w/ LubeLocker, BG Lubes, RocketChip Tune, Hemi TCU, Al's UCAs, etc...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:47 pm 
LOST Addict

OhmegaMike wrote:
Been reading this thread, and here's what I ended up with...
Oreilly's Super Start Platinum AGM, group 34, CCA 775, $184.99 on 9-10-2018
Fits fine, has top and side posts.
I couldn't find any AGM battery for less.

I have the Odyssey PC-1750 or whatever for around that ballpark when there was a sale but normally its in the $250 range. So far its been a beast and it saved my booty when my alternator failed in the middle of a national forest, 40 miles from the nearest town.