It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD Performance Upgrades/ Inmotion or Green Diesel ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Now have the funds to do the upgrade. Would like pros,and cons if any of both. So that I cam make my mind up on which way to go. For the ECO Tune, Thanks

Post subject: Re: CRD Performance Upgrades/ Inmotion or Green Diesel ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:12 pm 
LOST Member

I got the ECO tune back around May last year and have been very pleased with it. It's a lot more fun to drive now, performance is better, and the fuel mileage has gone up too. With the way fuel prices are now, ya can't beat that.

2006 Limited CRD 4x4 Inferno Red, GDE ECO tune

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:39 pm 
LOST Addict

Here are a few things that came up in a search:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51288

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51073&p=568010

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44912&p=489464

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thank's CATCRD ,
Should have search before I posted. I'm going with GDE .
Again
Thank's

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:51 pm 
LOST Addict

No problem. You will enjoy either one. I miss the burly feel and engine sound from the inmotion, but I like the added features of the GDE.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:06 pm 
LOST Addict

I just Got the GDE ECO preformance tune this past fall. my fuel economy did go up untill my thermostat took a dump right after it got colder, not the tune's fault tho. I was seeing 32-33 highway and about 22 in all city where I used to get 18-20 city and 26-28 highway before the tune. I am hoping to see those improvments again once we get off winter blend fuels and I get one of Mark's thermostats. The Jeep also runs much smoother now. There is next to zero turbo lag in city driving, throttle responce is smmother than stock, fuel gauge is acurate and there is an over all quicker feel now than before the tune. Also it smokes less at WOT as well.If you rent or buy the programmer tool there will be no down time either. I am happy with the ECO tune. Kieth provided good customer service too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:38 pm 
LOST Member

Or you could ( :arrow: shamless plug here) get a nice DiabloSport Power Puck Extreme... :pepper:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=57902

Just throwing my :2cents: and it's nice affordable plug-in solution! ;-)

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited (sold)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:59 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
GDE for the engine tune AND the transmission tune. Makes the CRD what it should have (and could have) been from the factory.

Cheater-chips like the Diablo or the Edge Trailjammer are OK, but I had one and won't use them again. Too risky to the engine tolerances where the GDE is a complete solution.

Sorry Vox. :JEEPIN:

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've got a Scorpion tuner, it helps a little, I wouldn't re-program my on board computer, they are all ready screwed up enough from MB.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:36 am 
LOST Addict

I had a Scorpion tuner and blew black smoke all the time till my EGR finally let go the first time after about 15k with it at 45k. After that i removed it and bought a Hot Tune buy the way i have a Scorpion Tuner for sale if anyone wants it PM me. Say 40 + shipping and it is all yours with all hook ups and directions 8) .

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have the Inmotion and it works very well. Im getting the GDE trans tune soon.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

For my money the GDE Eco Full torque tune is the way to go. It's a nice balance between the whimp Chrysler turned them into and the full blown HOT tune. It restores the engine to like when I bought it and then some :-)r Not to mention little things like making the fuel guage more linear. But you really should have at least the Euro torque converter to hold the foot pounds :SOMBRERO:

With my full torque tune and pre f37 tcm I gained 2-3 mpg in my all city short trip driving over my standard Echo tune. Anyone who does most of their driving at or below 60 mph can really benefit from a better tcm tune then the bean counter Chrysler one we were left with :goink: My transmission now shifts about 5 mph sooner in every gear. But it does make the unlocking and relocking of the torque converter during shift from 4th to 5th more noticable :juggle:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:13 pm 
LOST Member

geordi wrote:
GDE for the engine tune AND the transmission tune. Makes the CRD what it should have (and could have) been from the factory.

Cheater-chips like the Diablo or the Edge Trailjammer are OK, but I had one and won't use them again. Too risky to the engine tolerances where the GDE is a complete solution.

Sorry Vox. :JEEPIN:

Nope, it's all good. And informative. The Diablo plugs into the MAP sensor as well as the fuel rail, btw. ;) Perhaps that made a difference? I don't know.

Still, I was happy with it. GDE only does Liberty's right? Wondering what's out there for my GC now... hmm...

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited (sold)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:38 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
No, the Edge Trailjammer did the same - Fuel rail pressure sender and MAP sender right near it.

It was fun to have it, that is for certain. Would I use it if I wanted to show off a bit, or possibly have a day at the track? Maybe. BUT, using that box without a boost and EGT gauge (like I did for a long while) is NOT a good idea. I know this now. I do not believe that the box had anything to do with the failure of either my engine OR turbo... BUT I would still not use anything that fools the computer for sensor data without having an analog non-computer-connected backup for that information so that I could know for myself what is happening. From what GDE has said about the stock turbo on our engines... These little Garrett units are being run fairly close to their own internal limits even when stock.

Without a real analog Rail Pressure Sensor alongside your boost gauge... How can you honestly know what that cheater chip is allowing the engine and fuel pump to do? I don't know if there is any way to install an analog rail gauge on ours, but I would like one. Without it... No cheater chips for me anymore.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:43 pm 
LOST Addict

Vox,

We are working on the GC just to let you know. You can be an early adopter if you email us at support@greendieselengineering.com with the specs on your CRD. It will take some time, but we want to focus the tune on improving fuel economy. The GC makes 215hp? out of the box. How much more performance do you want? The weak link on the 3.0l is the aluminum block. It was derated during development due to longevity issues. It should be safe enough at 250hp for intermittant usage. Sounds like fun...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:45 am 
LOST Newbie

Randy B wrote:
Now have the funds to do the upgrade. Would like pros,and cons if any of both. So that I cam make my mind up on which way to go. For the ECO Tune, Thanks

I think the GDE will serve you best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:14 am 
LOST Addict

Inmotion Stage II has served me well over the past 3 years or so. Enough added oomph that it easily overcomes the infamous "dead spot" between 58 and 62 mph with the pre-F37 shift points, such that the engine felt like it was lugging going up even a mild hill at those speeds. Been using it as my only vehicle here in SA for the past 2 1/2 years, and never an issue with the engine. Recently got over 34 MPG on a 3 hour run up I-35.

I'd think either tune would easily give you highway mpg in the low 30's. That said, look over on the "Green Diesel - Customer Issues" thread, and look at all the maintenance I had to go thru on mine, all the other issues with Chrysler parts that had worn out or gone out of kilter on the vehicle after it had some miles on it - that 34 + mpg run was AFTER I'd addressed all these issues and set the CRD to rights.

Word to the wise - no matter which tune you choose, you won't see much of any improvement, at least mpg wise, unless the rest of the vehicle is up to spec and able to make maximum use of it.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:07 am 
LOST Member

GDE hands down.

04 TJ/3" OME/1" MML/1"BBL/3/4" coil spacers up front/discos/Extended bump stops/adj. Rear track bar/hi-lift/ 33x10.5x15 toyo MT on steelies/Epi9000superwinch/nates front bumper/extended breathers/160amp alternator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

I LOVE my GDE! It is a quality tune.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:37 am 
LOST Newbie

GDE.