It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WEIRD problems!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:32 pm 
LOST Member

I thought I would start a new thread for this one because I don't know what's going on.

I did a few things to the Jeep this weekend, and now I have problems. I took the MAP sensor out and cleaned it, I did a modified version of the elephant hose, and did the ORM mod. I got in the Jeep this morning and it was smoking real bad. I made it to work, and plugged the MAF back in. As I was leaving tonight it was still smoking, but a little less. It was way down on power, and I herd a big clunk. I pulled over immediately and checked every thing out. Nothing obviously wrong. I hooked the hose back up, so now every thing is back together the way it was. I stopped in a parts store and checked the codes. Of course the MAP and MAF cods came up, but I also got a P0113. I erased them thinking it was part of everything else. I left there and didn't get half a mile before the CEL came back on. I stopped at another parts store and I now have a P0234 witch came up as "over boost." I did not erase it, just tried to get some info. It says 1-engine over temp, 2-misfire conditions detected, 3- lean air fuel ratio, 4 fail at IAT sensor (intake air temp)

Here's the kicker. It runs fine now, and the smoke went away. Biggest problem, my fuel mileage went from over 20 to 14!

ANY IDEAS? I don't wanna continue driving it if there's a problem, and risk messing it up.

People who say it can't be done should not interrupt me when Im doing it!

Post subject: Re: WEIRD problems!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:47 pm 
LOST Member

Oh, oh. Is it possible you may have damaged the MAP sensor when cleaning it? I've done same mods you have with exception of unplugging the MAF, with no problems and CRD seems to run with a little more pep than before. I know the MAP is pretty delicate part according to what I've read on this forum. I just sprayed mine with Gumout carb cleaner until it was nice and clean. You also might want to check to see if you've plugged in the elect. plug back in nice and solid. Pushes in pretty firmly with a nice "snap" when it's seated all the way. Good luck, hope you resolve issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:40 pm 
LOST Member

When I cleaned it I barley scrapped it with a pick, and sprayed it. It is possible, but I knew it was very delicate and was very careful. It's plugged in all the way, that was one of the first things I checked.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:02 pm 
LOST Member

pick scraping any part of it prob. wasnt a good idea, if you move the lil copper q tip looking part in the slightest it could cause the problem your describing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:30 pm 
LOST Member

Well after driving it to work today the light went off. If the light went off then I couldn't have damaged the sensor. I tried the ORM on the way home, and of course the light came back on. Only code was from the MAF. Im confused, the only things I did have been done 1,000s of times. Why would it smoke, and pull the odd codes?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:37 am 
LOST Junkie

Sounds like it was MAP related but now cleared up and okay.

Your MAF if unplugged will stop your EGR valve from opening and closing so when you unplugged it perhaps it stuck in the open position
causing your smoke and power loss problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:05 pm 
LOST Member

I kind of thought that to until tonight. With the MAF unplugged, no smoke. MAF plugged or unplugged if I hook up my hose it smokes. Every time I hook my hose back up the smoke comes back. It basically dumps oil into the engine and it smokes really bad! I tried it in the oil quart, and out, no difference. I changed the oil tonight when I got home in the 22* blowing snow thinking maybe that would help. I guess we'll find out in the morning. Im just at a loss as to why it would burn oil with the hose hooked up. Am I missing something, am I supposed to unplug a sensor or something along with adding the hose? I've read the nood guide 4 times now, and all the threads on it I could find. I did just about exactly what everyone else has done except my hose is shorter.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm a complete newbie in 'matters of jeep', but are you remembering to plug (with wine cork, etc) the disconnected boost hose to intercooler when you do the EHM?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56763&hilit=WINE

Simon
PS. Getting my hands dirty this weekend...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

ROCK! wrote:
I kind of thought that to until tonight. With the MAF unplugged, no smoke. MAF plugged or unplugged if I hook up my hose it smokes. Every time I hook my hose back up the smoke comes back. It basically dumps oil into the engine and it smokes really bad! I tried it in the oil quart, and out, no difference. I changed the oil tonight when I got home in the 22* blowing snow thinking maybe that would help. I guess we'll find out in the morning. Im just at a loss as to why it would burn oil with the hose hooked up. Am I missing something, am I supposed to unplug a sensor or something along with adding the hose? I've read the nood guide 4 times now, and all the threads on it I could find. I did just about exactly what everyone else has done except my hose is shorter.

Okay back track, you say that you have disconnected your MAF and removed your vent hose from the CCV puck, blocked it off and then you have done the Elephant hose mod :?:

Last edited by mackruss on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:54 pm 
LOST Addict

P0113 is Intake Air Temperature short to 5V. The resistor on the MAP sensor is having random issues. This could also effect the fuel economy a bit, most likely not 6mpg. Do you have a scan tool in the vehicle at all times?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:49 pm 
LOST Member

I did the EHM, and I plugged the other hose I took off. I had an old locking lug nut that fit perfectly in the hose, and I put a clamp on it.

I've tried it several ways, MAF unplugged and every thing else stock, EHM, and nothing else, etc etc. It doesn't matter what else I've done, if I hook up my EHM it smokes. It's crazy, doesn't make any sense at all. The ORM works fine now, it's just the EHM. I don't own a scanner, but I plan on getting one.

GDE, Im thinking maybe the MAP sensor is no good. I don't think I broke it, but it seems that's gotta be it. I wanna get your tuner, but I have to do other things first. It's kind of expensive :ROTFL:

Thanx for all the help guys :mrgreen: