It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: In Line Lift Pump Suggestions
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:58 pm 
LOST Member

I tried a couple of posi-flo's mounted near the battery also. I even opened up the small pump fittings to help ease flow some. It would purge air well enough but overall performance seemed a bit off. They just seemed to really not aid flow but somewhat impede the flow. I have a gauge mounted at the fuel head and either pumps would ever achieve more than a pound or two of psi then falls to minus after fire up. Enough to purge, but I think somewhat restrictive for the cp3 to pull through. I put the Kennedy pump in, same location, pumps up to 5-6 psi and maintains a positive pressure after fire up. The engine seems to run better, idle quieter and smoother, just all around better performance with the higher volume pump. Now this is just your standard seat of the pants evaluation. I don't have dyno charts.... :wink: Now I have a drawer full of posi-flos with no where to go.

13 Edge Limited AWD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

truckbouy2 wrote:
I tried a couple of posi-flo's mounted near the battery also. I even opened up the small pump fittings to help ease flow some. It would purge air well enough but overall performance seemed a bit off. They just seemed to really not aid flow but somewhat impede the flow. I have a gauge mounted at the fuel head and either pumps would ever achieve more than a pound or two of psi then falls to minus after fire up. Enough to purge, but I think somewhat restrictive for the cp3 to pull through. I put the Kennedy pump in, same location, pumps up to 5-6 psi and maintains a positive pressure after fire up. The engine seems to run better, idle quieter and smoother, just all around better performance with the higher volume pump. Now this is just your standard seat of the pants evaluation. I don't have dyno charts.... :wink: Now I have a drawer full of posi-flos with no where to go.

Rubbish and BS, A drawer full; all breaking down one after the other and all within a year…..come on, can you think of making this story a little more elaborate and true. Not all of us are gullible.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:35 pm 
LOST Member

I measured 7 psi at the filter while idling. This pump (Airtex) has more output than this litter chugger will ever do at 1/3 the price of the Kennedy. And now so quiet :).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:59 pm 
LOST Addict

bigbillyboy wrote:
Very happy with the Facet lift pump installed by the battery. I can barely hear it before the engine starts up, and not really at all while idling or running.

Quick and easy. I have had no problems with air or flow issues.

Ditto here. I have the same setup on both my CRDs with a clear inline filter just before them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Lower fuel pressure is preferred, the system doesn't require a lot, just enough pressure to provide a constant flow of fuel and remove the air.

There’s a thread on the dangers of high fuel pressure to the system and if I remember correctly it was determined that lower pressure was ideal (4 to 5 psi was optimal).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:24 pm 
LOST Member

racertracer... I never said the pumps broke down or were defective nor did I specify a time frame or they were sub par. You didn't read things well. Now put your rock down and go back and read what I wrote again before you start accusing me of telling tales and trying to bamboozle the smart folks here. Reading also involves comprehension. I know you dear folks from Connecticut are sharper than that.

13 Edge Limited AWD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok, fine, i'll take back the BS part.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:52 am 
LOST Member

So, can I put a 2 micron filter between the new lift pump and the 10 micron OEM (Wix for the replacement) filter? If so, what do you recommend?

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:28 am 
LOST Newbie

So i installed my lift pump - inline style.

All seems to be well except that i get a bit of a leak from the busted Heater element connection - if i unplug it i get a major leak.

Not a problem so long as I leave it in. (very small leak only if i turn the key and don't start)

But that did raise the concern of if i turn the key and the pump comes on and runs for 20 seconds (and I don't start)- is there a risk i could "pop" the fuel filter head? how does the return line work? will it just push fuel back to the tank?

its a 5PSI pump. Also the pump seems to get very hot in the engine bay. Is this ok? or should i try move somewhere a little cooler? behind the battery or something,

Thnx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:24 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quiksilver wrote:

All seems to be well except that i get a bit of a leak from the busted Heater element connection - if i unplug it i get a major leak.

Not a problem so long as I leave it in. (very small leak only if i turn the key and don't start)

But that did raise the concern of if i turn the key and the pump comes on and runs for 20 seconds (and I don't start)- is there a risk i could "pop" the fuel filter head? how does the return line work? will it just push fuel back to the tank?

its a 5PSI pump. Also the pump seems to get very hot in the engine bay. Is this ok? or should i try move somewhere a little cooler? behind the battery or something,

Thnx

I wouldn't worry about the pump unless you mounted it close to the turbo and exhaust, but instead you should be very concerned about the fuel head leaking and causing a fire.

The original fuel head has been known to cause fires. Some of our members have lost their vehicles due to it.

You must replace the head right away to the new and updated version from the dealer. Do a search to find out more information on this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:45 am 
LOST Newbie

racertracer wrote:
Quiksilver wrote:

Thnx

I wouldn't worry about the pump unless you mounted it close to the turbo and exhaust, but instead you should be very concerned about the fuel head leaking and causing a fire.

The original fuel head has been known to cause fires. Some of our members have lost their vehicles due to it.

You must replace the head right away to the new and updated version from the dealer. Do a search to find out more information on this.

Thanks

Ya look its a very minor leak and only if i dont start the engine and just let it build up pressure - i have seen the stories of the "fires" from the leaking fuel heads - yet to see any proof that wasn't a rumour of it actually catching alight - i'd love to see someone actually try and light the diesel in its uncompressed state so not too worried about that - well insured too :POPCORN:

I will replace it as some stage - when i can rustle up the $228 my stealer wants for it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Don't know about ordering in your part of the world but MoparPartsAmerica under $100 US delivered for new head with filter and the replacement heater element harness. Like a 30 min install.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Talking about trying to light uncompressed diesel...

I blew an injector line (high pressure steel) on my Jetta, and had to drive 800 miles with it washing the front of my engine (and EVERYTHING ELSE) in the engine bay) with diesel from that injector line, while I got a GLORIOUS 15mpg from a formerly 4-cylinder 45mpg car.

When I got to the destination, I opened the hood and re-captured a solid GALLON of diesel draining from just the under-hood blanket. Had there been ANY way for that stuff to ignite, I doubt I would have made it 5 miles, much less 800.

I love diesels for their safety.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo do you have the p/n on that bad boy? Thanks for the site! I hate feeding the stealer's wallet...I like the $$ to stay in mine...errr wives. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

See http://www.greendieselengineering.com/f ... st/76.page The part #s and pictures are good but the prices may be a bit out of date. Stoutdog and I used West Marine marine grade butt connectors with heat shrink tubing to make the wire connections rather that solder.

Both of us strongly recommend the GDE ECO ECM tune and the GDE TCM tune as do others. My personel experience is a 20%+ increase in in town and hwy fuel economy and a zero smoke under hard throttle plus other benefits discussed on the forum.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:37 pm 
LOST Member

ok..this isn't exactly on topic..

but for everyone here that worries about diesel fuel igniting...you know from a leak...
I would like to ask this
have you ever tried to light diesel fuel with a match?

first thing you learn is...

it doesn't...its not gasoline or kerosene...it diesel..and if you run biodiesel..FORGET IT!!! just drop the match in..and .... IT GOES OUT!!!

in case you're wondering..YES I have tried all of these...ok not the gasoline...I'm not that dumb.

for the noisy lift pump..um..turn up the radio??

-dkenny

all Biodiesel powered when its warm enough

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:58 pm 
LOST Addict

dkenny wrote:
ok..this isn't exactly on topic..

but for everyone here that worries about diesel fuel igniting...you know from a leak...
I would like to ask this
have you ever tried to light diesel fuel with a match?

first thing you learn is...

it doesn't...its not gasoline or kerosene...it diesel..and if you run biodiesel..FORGET IT!!! just drop the match in..and .... IT GOES OUT!!!

in case you're wondering..YES I have tried all of these...ok not the gasoline...I'm not that dumb.

for the noisy lift pump..um..turn up the radio??

-dkenny

I get rid of brush real quick by dousing it with diesel first. Gets so hot it even burns the thick green stuff. Only take a match to light it. Oh when I was in Vietnam, we burn our craaaaaaaap with diesel so we can enjoy the smell of craaaaaaaap twice. :-)r

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:56 am 
LOST Newbie

Does anyone have pic of the relay box on which pin to put the hot wire on or a accurate description?? Planning to put one in tomorrow. AK

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:03 pm 
LOST Addict

Herk wrote:
Does anyone have pic of the relay box on which pin to put the hot wire on or a accurate description?? Planning to put one in tomorrow. AK

The insulation is just stripped a bit and shoved in with the center pin of the relay.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

CAT
Great thats perfect and the center post works great. I'm off to test drive it. AK