It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I think the Sport finally chucked the torque converter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Wife was complaining that the Jeep stalls while backing out of garage. It also stalled doing the same thing at a store while the vehicle was warm and not sitting more then 15 minutes. So I gave it a try myself this morning. Started fine, put it in R and it engaged instantaneously thanks to my check valve mod, backed out about 5 ' and it made a horrible crunch and stalled the engine in its tracks.

So what do you think torque converter or something more?

Post subject: Re: I think the Sport finally chucked the torque converter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

flman wrote:
Wife was complaining that the Jeep stalls while backing out of garage. It also stalled doing the same thing at a store while the vehicle was warm and not sitting more then 15 minutes. So I gave it a try myself this morning. Started fine, put it in R and it engaged instantaneously thanks to my check valve mod, backed out about 5 ' and it made a horrible crunch and stalled the engine in its tracks.

So what do you think torque converter or something more?

About a year ago I thought my TC was out, when I would put it in drive or reverse it would stall. Took it to a few transmission shops that over the phone swore their scanner was the best and could communicate with the TCU to find the issue. About 4 shops later not one if them could connect to the CRD. I buddy that used to work for a shop near by said that the owner was a good driveability guy and has good computer equipment so I brought it to him. He found it was a wiring harness behind the alternator was rubbed into and when it was shifted into drive or reverse it would move the engine a little and contact the open wires.Took him some time and searching around but he found it! He is good and he has seen the jeep a few more times since then for some other wiring ABS stuff.

So you could check that out, I guess it has happened to a few others on this forum but I don't remember a "horrible Crunch".
Good luck.

-05 Dark Khaki Limited CRD. GDE ECO tune. In-tank lift pump, Transgo doo doo kit, B&M trans cooler, replaced trans solenoid pack and filters, Newer Michelin tires, Timing belt with all related parts replaced at 110,000miles.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The only time I've heard a crunch type noise followed by an immediate engine stall is the couple of times I tried to pump up a drained TC by bringing up the RPMs while in gear. That produces a hard gear engagement and then you can drive 50-100' before the noise and the engine stalls but that does throw a code. Not to sound negative about your check valve mod but I wonder if the valve is sticking, I've seen similar valves do that, and interfering with the movement of ATF through the system?

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

papaindigo wrote:
The only time I've heard a crunch type noise followed by an immediate engine stall is the couple of times I tried to pump up a drained TC by bringing up the RPMs while in gear. That produces a hard gear engagement and then you can drive 50-100' before the noise and the engine stalls but that does throw a code. Not to sound negative about your check valve mod but I wonder if the valve is sticking, I've seen similar valves do that, and interfering with the movement of ATF through the system?

I have no problems or hesitation with engagement in R or D.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

painemann wrote:

About a year ago I thought my TC was out, when I would put it in drive or reverse it would stall. Took it to a few transmission shops that over the phone swore their scanner was the best and could communicate with the TCU to find the issue. About 4 shops later not one if them could connect to the CRD. I buddy that used to work for a shop near by said that the owner was a good driveability guy and has good computer equipment so I brought it to him. He found it was a wiring harness behind the alternator was rubbed into and when it was shifted into drive or reverse it would move the engine a little and contact the open wires.Took him some time and searching around but he found it! He is good and he has seen the jeep a few more times since then for some other wiring ABS stuff.

So you could check that out, I guess it has happened to a few others on this forum but I don't remember a "horrible Crunch".
Good luck.

Thanks, I will take a look at the wiring. BTW, did you have the same symptoms?

Looked at the wiring behind the alternator all is good, but that bracket is awfully sharp where the wires go through. I will put it in the shop and check the rest of the harness later.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Actually, my wife told me at the store, she put it in reverse and it did not move, but it went into drive OK. I guess I will have to drive it my self for a while to see the symptoms for myself?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Funny thing, this was happening last week while the weather was in the teens. Warmed up and never made a hiccup. Now it is back in the teens and all is well.

Go figure :?: