It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD Engine block Heater
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:37 am 
LOST Newbie

Dear friends,
I am looking to gather info about the block heater for CRD. It seems that this element is already installed by default on all CRDs (maybe the ones for North American market ) . But actually the Liberty for European Market ( like mine ) do not have this accessory.
The problem is that I already accuse problems on the Glow Plugs once I started to go in the mountain during the weekend ( love skiing ).
Actually the temperature can drop overnight easily to -15C. and of course if you leave the car 2/3 days without running .. well.. I think is not very healthy for sure for the GPs
As I saw that the block heater is a inexpensive gadget ( I saw price for the 3.7) , I was wondering if is possible to get it for the 2.8 CRD .
From Mopar website , no way to have the #ref for this article. Does it exist ??? :juggle:

Thank you,

Post subject: Re: CRD Engine block Heater
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:59 am 
LOST Member

I installed a Proheat oil pan heater a couple of years ago and it works better than a block heater. I only uses 125 watts and keeps the oil at + 60 degrees f so not only is the oil very warm but the heat rising keeps the block warm also. My crd starts up instantly and the oil is flowing like the engine is already warmed up and I have instant heat in the cab. Proheat products are located in Chetek, WI (800) 221- 4328 or www.engineheaters.com. I think I bought the Model 156 but they will make a recommendation based upon our oil capacity. The heater is not much thicker than a business card but it gets very very hot and comes with a 6' power cord and a tube of silicone to seal the edges after you install it to the oil pan it is a really nice product. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have no knowledge of what CRDs did or did not come with a factory block heater. What I can tell you is from the factory the cord for the block heater was typically tightly folded, stuffed well down out of sight, and tied to the oil dipstick housing. So before you assume you don't have a block heater take a look there. FYI the location and tight folding often cause the outer sheath (not the wire insulation itself) of that cord to crack. If you decide to replace the cord it's pretty cheap ($20 US anyway) to purchase from the dealer and easy to install.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

Last edited by papaindigo on Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:43 pm 
LOST Member

In Sam's noob guide there is a link to a parts fiche for our vehicles.
Try part # 56044738AA for the heater and cord. It looks like a standard setup pressed into a freeze plug hole.

I would definitely go with the pan heater as suggested above, mainly for ease of installation.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:25 am 
LOST Member

It's been pointed out before by either MrMopar64 or GDE that the North American CRDs are the only ones to come from the factory with the engine block heater installed. It wouldn't hurt to check anyway since the previous owner could have had it installed as an option.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

kdlewis1975 wrote:
It's been pointed out before by either MrMopar64 or GDE that the North American CRDs are the only ones to come from the factory with the engine block heater installed. It wouldn't hurt to check anyway since the previous owner could have had it installed as an option.

I checked ... no ... no heater installed.
:|

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sunazur wrote:
kdlewis1975 wrote:

I checked ... no ... no heater installed.
:|

Before you order one of the part number listed remember that it is for 120 volts and if your in a country that uses 240 volts then it obviously won't work well :ALONE:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:15 pm 
LOST Member

why dont you just get a coolant heater? i live in upstate new york and in winter it gets pretty cold here, good friend of mine owns a tow truck business and on his gmc kodiak flatbed he installed a coolant heater because the factory heater just wasnt cutting it, he says it works amazing, when he turns the truck off after sitting out all night in the cold there isnt even any snow on it and the engine is at full operating temperature when he turns it on. thinking about getting one for my CRD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This company sells both 120 volt and 240 volt block heaters. All you need to now know is the diameter of the freeze plug hole, pop the plug, clean up the hole and install the 240 volt heater. If they don't have the right size, go for one with pipe threads and make an adapter. http://www.a-and-lsystems.com/In-Block% ... 281%29.pdf

Another 240 Volt heater http://www.rustrepair.com/STEPVAN_PARTS ... .IMM-56750

Another: http://www.woodys-auto-supply.com/onlin ... T-000&pg=2

Good luck, bet ya a European company does the same.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:39 am 
LOST Newbie

warp2diesel wrote:
This company sells both 120 volt and 240 volt block heaters. All you need to now know is the diameter of the freeze plug hole, pop the plug, clean up the hole and install the 240 volt heater. If they don't have the right size, go for one with pipe threads and make an adapter. http://www.a-and-lsystems.com/In-Block% ... 281%29.pdf

Another 240 Volt heater http://www.rustrepair.com/STEPVAN_PARTS ... .IMM-56750

Another: http://www.woodys-auto-supply.com/onlin ... T-000&pg=2

Good luck, bet ya a European company does the same.

Thank you , very useful info....
Going to have a look .
Cheers,

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:54 pm 
LOST Member

I installed one of these on my wife's Jetta: http://www.frostheater.com/

Works great, it even keeps the ice off the windshield if she turns the defroster to on before plugging it in.

So far, I have been happy with the stock CRD block heater.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:19 pm 
LOST Member

kccrd wrote:
I installed a Proheat oil pan heater a couple of years ago and it works better than a block heater. I only uses 125 watts and keeps the oil at + 60 degrees f so not only is the oil very warm but the heat rising keeps the block warm also. My crd starts up instantly and the oil is flowing like the engine is already warmed up and I have instant heat in the cab. Proheat products are located in Chetek, WI (800) 221- 4328 or http://www.engineheaters.com. I think I bought the Model 156 but they will make a recommendation based upon our oil capacity. The heater is not much thicker than a business card but it gets very very hot and comes with a 6' power cord and a tube of silicone to seal the edges after you install it to the oil pan it is a really nice product. Good luck.

It seems that you would want the Model 512 (4.5 - 12 liters of oil) for our oil pans rather than the 156 (up to 3.5 ltrs). Is this right or am I missing something.

thx

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:28 pm 
LOST Junkie

It is as simple as unplugging and plugging in an extension cord. That said, I did not find replacing the block heater cord easy at all :x. Going in from the top, I could not even see the block heater with out removing the alternator. I was replacing the serpentine belt and thermostat at the time so I didn't remove the skid plate and try from below.

#1 CRD, 174,000 miles. Eco tune, Samco hoses. Mobil1 0-40w used since day one
#2 CRD 143,000 miles. Bought used (unknown history) with 100,000 miles. Samco hoses.
Eco tune, new rockers, and 5 volt glow plugs installed at 124,000 miles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Replacing the block heater cord, as opposed to installing a block heater which I don't know about, is not all that hard from underneath. We did it on stoutdog's 2006 with full OEM skids without removal of any skids but it did help to have 2 people. 1 underneath removing and intalling fastners and one up top to pull the old cord and feed the new one down.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

papaindigo wrote:
Replacing the block heater cord, as opposed to installing a block heater which I don't know about, is not all that hard from underneath. We did it on stoutdog's 2006 with full OEM skids without removal of any skids but it did help to have 2 people. 1 underneath removing and intalling fastners and one up top to pull the old cord and feed the new one down.

Thanks for the advice, I need to replace the cord on my other CRD and I was not looking forward to doing it again from the top. :|

#1 CRD, 174,000 miles. Eco tune, Samco hoses. Mobil1 0-40w used since day one
#2 CRD 143,000 miles. Bought used (unknown history) with 100,000 miles. Samco hoses.
Eco tune, new rockers, and 5 volt glow plugs installed at 124,000 miles

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:06 pm 
LOST Member

My TDI Touareg has a 5000 watt webasto parking heater installed from the factory.
It fires up automatically when temps are below 39 degrees F and can even have a remote added that just fires up the heater and then the fans inside the passenger cabin when the coolant temps are warm enough. Fuels itself off of the diesel in the tank :D

http://www.webasto.us/products-and-mark ... /8778.html

Since you are in Europe they should be plentiful to find as it is a popular modification..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here is an inline coolant heater from Northern Tool, it's not a 240 volt but it does a great job at 125 volt.... easy to set up for $50.00.

Kat's 1500 Watt Circulating Tank Heater — Model# 13150

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200339137

Overview
Thermopump heater is designed to heat and circulate the coolant in an engine for easy cold-weather starting.

Has a thermostat and extra-long cord to connect to AC power source. U.S.A.

Features + Benefits:
Heats and circulate engine coolant
Aids cold-weather starting
Made of die-cast aluminum to resist corrosion
What's Included
(1) 1500 Watt tank heater

Key Specs:
Primary Heating Application Vehicle
Volts 110
Watts 1,500
Thermostat Included Yes
Power Cord (ft.) 4
Remote Included No
Manufacturer Warranty 12 months parts / 12 months labor
Ship Weight 3.0 lbs
Northern Tool Item# 174050

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:17 am 
LOST Member

racertracer wrote:
Here is an inline coolant heater from Northern Tool, it's not a 240 volt but it does a great job at 125 volt.... easy to set up for $50.00.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200339137

Overview
Thermopump heater is designed to heat and circulate the coolant in an engine for easy cold-weather starting.

Has a thermostat and extra-long cord to connect to AC power source. U.S.A.

Features + Benefits:
Heats and circulate engine coolant
Aids cold-weather starting
Made of die-cast aluminum to resist corrosion
What's Included
(1) 1500 Watt tank heater

Key Specs:
Primary Heating Application Vehicle
Volts 110
Watts 1,500
Thermostat Included Yes
Power Cord (ft.) 4
Remote Included No
Manufacturer Warranty 12 months parts / 12 months labor
Ship Weight 3.0 lbs
Northern Tool Item# 174050

Pretty sweet

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:28 pm 
LOST Member

racertracer wrote:

No longer available from Northern Tool, but it's on Amazon. I really want a webasto, but a thermostat and torque converter are first on the list, so a cheaper solution for cold starting this winter would be nice for the time being.

I recently noticed (via Torque and OBD) that my coolant temp was no longer increasing when I plugged in the engine block heater. I pulled the cord, and found that it no longer works (there is no current flowing through it when plugged in). I have no idea if the engine block heater still works, so I pulled the cord from my other CRD, but I'll be darned if I can get the cord plugged back in without having to remove the alternator or the EGR or maybe even both. And I've got long skinny arms.

Anybody have suggestions on a way to plug the block heater cord back in? I can see it relatively easily when looking up from behind the driver's side wheel, but there are too many non-moveable things in the way to get my arm up in there to plug it back in.

05 CRD Limited (black), factory skids, Fumoto Valve, ARP Studs, Hayden HD fan clutch, EGR delete, Seyfert CRD Stage 2, 225/70R16, EGT gauge