It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why are the dealers so clueless about the CRD's?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

First CRD dealership experience......what a mess! I've had 3 previous Jeeps and the same dealer has always been great until now. Took it in for the first service and about 9 hours later the check engine light comes on. Took it back this morning at 8 and after about 15 people ask me if I didn't tighten the fuel cap tight enough and I insisted that I didn't refill since, they decided to hook it up to the computer and find out what it is and they'd know in "just a few minutes". An hour later, it was determined that it was the EGR valve and it had to be replaced. The service guy insisted that it was just a coincidence....maybe so, but I have had absolutely zero problems in almost 10k miles, I take it in to the dealership and they manage to screw something up....and they admitted that they have to get their tech team on the phone every time a CRD comes in because they are clueless. Bottom line is.....Jeep was fine, I got oil changed, had to go back and wait for 5 hours even though they told me 2......2 hours is ok to wait, 5 I would have rescheduled and had the courtesy shuttle take me to work and left it for the day. I understand that problems come up and there's little we can do about it, but the brazen ignorance that I saw today got me so frustrated. Does anyone know if different dealers have different experience with CRD's, and how I could find one in my area (Tampa)? W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:57 pm 
LOST Junkie

I view the CRD Liberty as a 'speciality vehicle' since its relatively new. In my experiences with Fords, the majority of the dealerships don't know jack about the SVT products, including the SVT Dealerships. I believe as a SVT owner, and a CRD owner, it is our responsiblity to become knowledgeable on the CRD so we can guide our stealer, er dealerships...

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
SAMCO Hoses//GDE Tune//PML Trans Pan//TransGo HD Shift Kit//MBRP Exhaust

1986 2R Mustang SVO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:08 pm 
LOST Addict

That's why I bought mine local where they sell a lot of diesel trucks and the diesel Sprinter van from MB and have techs that know diesels and how to use the computers or as they call it, the Start Scan.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

I find many Stealers to be rather clueless about a lot of things.

My wife and I bought a new 04' Sienna Van in July of 2003. It is the new body style that had been out since march of 2003. Most of the salesman didn't know jack about it. I knew more about it from reading the friggin brochure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

Oh yeah, and the guy used the "f" word in front of me twice.....not that I've never heard it before but a certain level of professionalism would be nice. Think I should write DC and try to get a free coupon for an oil change or something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:26 am 
LOST Member

dont think the guys in parts are any better, the parts guys in my area dont even know a diesel engine exists in the jeep family, i get this when i go buy an oil filter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:41 am 
LOST Junkie

Found out that my dealer wasn't to clueless as they sell a lot of Dodge trucks also. Cummins, Fairbanks Morse are diesel manufactures off the top of my head that have always had common rail fuel systems in their diesels in one form or another. The CRD system in the Dodge Cummins is just barely behind our engine, stock, in torque/liter displacement.
Talking to my dealership they got 6-8 hours training on the Jeep CRD, and DC has told them that even if they troublshoot the problem right away they have to jump through a bunch of hoops at DC to get authorization to do anything.
I run with the plastic lid off my CRD and have found it helps me catch the little things that need attention on the engine before they become problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:16 pm 
LOST Member

I don't mind the cluelessness, in fact I can understand and expect it in such a low volume production run.

What gets me is the "if we don't understand it blame it on the customer attitude" I get with the CRD.

I come in with a problem, they say - "Oh, that's because it's a diesel. You should have known that diesels do that before you bought it. Diesels are prone to failure. We won't even bother to fix it because a deisel will just break again anyway". To that I respond: "What does it being diesel have anything to do with the satellite radio not working?"

OK, I am exxagerating - but you get my general point. They blame problems either on diesel or me - and it is like pulling teeth to get them to think otherwise...

I would be more than happy with: "Man, we have no idea! This is one of them newfangled diesel motors we have heard about but never seen. It is gonna take a couple days to get the info we need" than "You are the idiot who bought the diesel... Leave us alone!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:39 pm 
LOST Addict

valkraider wrote:
I don't mind the cluelessness, in fact I can understand and expect it in such a low volume production run.

What gets me is the "if we don't understand it blame it on the customer attitude" I get with the CRD.

I come in with a problem, they say - "Oh, that's because it's a diesel. You should have known that diesels do that before you bought it. Diesels are prone to failure. We won't even bother to fix it because a deisel will just break again anyway". To that I respond: "What does it being diesel have anything to do with the satellite radio not working?"

OK, I am exxagerating - but you get my general point. They blame problems either on diesel or me - and it is like pulling teeth to get them to think otherwise...

I would be more than happy with: "Man, we have no idea! This is one of them newfangled diesel motors we have heard about but never seen. It is gonna take a couple days to get the info we need" than "You are the idiot who bought the diesel... Leave us alone!"
Sounds like what people used to and still say about most VW dealers when it comes to problems with their VW diesels.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject: good dealer
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

The dealer from whom I bought mine has been good. He hasn't been able to whip the EGR problem, but then DC hasn't got a solution either.

So a shout out to Adams Motor Company in Lynchburg Virginia for being willing to listen, doing their best to fix problems and keep me on the road. And though it's not necessary to apologize for the inconvenience, the thought is appreciated.

As for dealers in general, gotta remember that most of 'em don't see very many of the 8,580 Libby CRDs sold in 2005, and this being the first year for this vehicle in the US market, there are bound to be hiccups. The dealers can't be expected to know them well. If you can't handle early-production glitches, don't be an early adopter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:17 pm 
LOST Addict

I guess that means about 2 to 4 per dealership. That's not a lot vehicle's for a dealership to pay to send a tech off to school for training.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject: Re: good dealer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:50 am 
LOST Member

naturist wrote:
The dealers can't be expected to know them well. If you can't handle early-production glitches, don't be an early adopter.

Yeah, but you are missing the point. No one expects the dealers to know them well. We just expect the dealers to not treat us like quailtards.

oldnavy wrote:
I guess that means about 2 to 4 per dealership. That's not a lot vehicle's for a dealership to pay to send a tech off to school for training.

I read somewhere that in order to sell the CRD you had to have a tech trained in CRD maintenance. Does anyone know any details with regards to this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:06 am 
LOST Addict

None where I bought mine have been to any training for the CRD, they are however 4 techs that have had Cummins, and 2 of those have had MB diesel training. So it's not like it is anything really that different for the two MB techs, also the one MB tech likes playing with computers.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine