It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie to Libby CRD
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hello all!
Well I just traded my 03 Libby Renegade in for an 05 Libby CRD (43k miles), I'm loving it so far, but I have a couple of questions to see if this is normal. Let me start off by saying that I'm not that big of a Diesel novice, I've been a VW tech for the last 6 years and have worked on many different VW diesels, but this is a completely different truck so I'm not sure if these things are normal or not.

1- The glow plug light on the dash hardly ever comes on during start up, and if it does, its on for about a second than goes out, and I live in Wisconsin and its pretty cold right now. I'm used to VW's to stay on for a few seconds, or more, than go out. I'm not having any starting issues either so it doesn't seem like a big issue, just different and wanted to see if this is normal.

2- The Jeep never seems to get to operating temp (12 o'clock on the gauge), the highest I've seen it go is a little bit past the quarter mark. I've read on these forums and others on the web that the thermostats like to stick open so I at first suspected a thermostat, but I just talked the a mopar tech and he said its normal for this time of year, but I dont know if he may be just full of it or not.

3- The Jeep came with a K&N filter in it, and its been my experience that they, well, lack for a better term, suck. Would you suggest I get just a paper filter or just keep the K&N and clean it regularly?

Thanks, and looking forward with chatting with all of ya!

Post subject: Re: Newbie to Libby CRD
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:04 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi all,

I would also like to hear pointers for cold weather starting. (It is -25c here tonight and I have had it plugged in all day and she started on the first try, ran for a couple of secs and then died and will not re-start.)

I have read as much as I can find on cold starting. Anything anyone wants to add?

Adanac
:JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:20 am 
LOST Member

First guy. . . replace your thermostat. My '98 VW ALH TDI had a seven second glow. '78 IDI Rabbit had 20 second glow. The CRD is two. If it starts in the cold how could the g-plugs not be functioning properly?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Do you use any treatment on your fuel during the winter?
My best guess would be that your fuel jelled up.

06 CRD
OME HD w/clevis top plate
JBA 4.5 UCAs
245/75/16r Goodyear Duratrax
Fumoto Valve, V6 ABM
Rock Lizard Super Skinks
Cobra 75 WX ST
ECO GDE tune, 2.5 straight piped
ProVent, Samcoed
Non F37ed TCM
DieHard P1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:32 am 
LOST Addict

Your glow plugs sounds normal to me.
The temperature gauge normally is one tick down from the center, in cold weather, it may take a while to get there.
I use a K&N and going great at 98K. There will be many here that will tell you that K&N will ruin your engine. The worst thing you can do is run your engine with a clogged air filter. If you run paper, change it often.

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:05 am 
LOST Newbie

I thought it could be fuel as she turns over just fine. What additive should be used/recommended? I am also just under 1/4 tank so I am guessing that has some impact on it gelling too.

Thanks.

Adanac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:14 am 
LOST Addict

Adanac wrote:
I thought it could be fuel as she turns over just fine. What additive should be used/recommended? I am also just under 1/4 tank so I am guessing that has some impact on it gelling too.

Thanks.

Adanac

Fuel waxed or water in the line or filter frozen. Get it to a heated garage overnight.

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:40 am 
LOST Addict

welcome to the forum, read the noob guide in case you haven't yet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:26 am 
LOST Newbie

Quote:

Fuel waxed or water in the line or filter frozen. Get it to a heated garage overnight.

Without towing it to a local shop, any other options? (besides waiting for the temp to go up)

Adanac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:31 am 
LOST Addict

1) The glow plug light is stupid. I wish GDE would adjust this in their tune so that the light stays on longer as a reminder.

2) The mechanic is an idiot. The temp. guage should read almost 12 o' clock even in sub-freezing weather. Your t-stat is dead.

3) I am running a AEM conical DryFlow air filter. It requires no oil, and slips directly into the factory rubber turbo intake tube like a glove. Without the GDE tune, however, you'll have lights on your dash with this mod.

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:29 am 
LOST Member

LibertyCRD wrote:
1) The glow plug light is stupid. I wish GDE would adjust this in their tune so that the light stays on longer as a reminder.

2) The mechanic is an idiot. The temp. guage should read almost 12 o' clock even in sub-freezing weather. Your t-stat is dead.

3) I am running a AEM conical DryFlow air filter. It requires no oil, and slips directly into the factory rubber turbo intake tube like a glove. Without the GDE tune, however, you'll have lights on your dash with this mod.

If you read the owner's manual, it specifically states that the glow plugs should only come on for 1-2 seconds.

I know my CRD does indeed come up to temp, but it takes a while in cold weather. It will not do it on idle alone. It will get warm, maybe to the 1/4 point on the gauge, but will only get up to full operating temp once you drive it around. But once at operating temp, it stas there (just to the left of the center point).

If you're in New England and need your KJ TB done, PM me.

Retired:
Tractor: Dark Khaki '06 CRD Sport, GDE ECO & Trans Tunes, 2.5" lift + 245/75r16. - Sold 27Apr16
Ghost: Silver '06 KJ CRD Limited, bunch of goodies done - Sold 18Apr16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks for all the replies!

TJ2 - Definitely going to replace the TStat, I wasn't insinuating that the glow plugs were malfunctioning, just wanted to see if as long the glow plug light wasn't on if it's ok to start, or should I wait longer than the light is on.

Sir Sam - First thing I did was read the Noob guide, which is an awesome write up, already cleaned a cruddy MAP sensor, already running smoother.

Thanks Again!