It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transmission not shifting
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

Having a problem with my wife's CRD and I'm ready to throw it in a hole and burn it.

Started out around 80k miles, once a week or so it would go into a limp mode and not shift, acted like it was stuck in 3rd or 4th gear, not sure which. Takes off slow from the line and is revved out at 3k rpms at 60mph.

I just had the timing belt, water pump, and transmission fluid and filters changed at 96k miles. Now it does this every time I come to a stop and start moving again. If I shut it off and restart it it will work. Some times when I stop it takes off fine and shifts through the gears fine, other times its stuck in one gear. Once it gets stuck in a gear the only way to get it to shift is to shut it off again.

There are no transmission codes, only a P0401 for the EGR. Fluid is good, and when it was drained it was clean and no odd smells, just the typical transmission fluid smell.

Please help.

Post subject: Re: Transmission not shifting
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Your inlet filter may be split where it goes into the pickup or the back drain valve might be bad. Might be worth dropping the pan and taking a look. Chrysler got stuck with some junk a few years ago and one jerk did a big dumpster dive and sold the bad filters on eBay. Other filters that were scrapped by Chrysler may have been reboxed into off brand boxes. When I heard about this, I changed out my filter with a Wix kit when I installed the PML pan and again when I installed the Suncoast/Transgo.
flman came up with an inline check valve that worked for his problem, but I don't recall the details.

Good luck.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

think it would be a problem with a brand new filter from Chrysler? Old one wasn't cracked or bad either.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

2nd and 3rd are the two grears that 545RFE goes to for limp mode. Had exact problem in the past.
Problem was transmssion filter/fluid change I got a filter application for 45RFE believing it will work. It fit fine but size and length (depth) of pickup tube limited proper fluid flow.
I had gone to NAPA and the clerk there said no such thing as a 5 speed overdrive for KJ but Chrysler ran a 45RFE for a couple of years so thats the tranny I really have....NOT and hence the limp problems. I went to an old school trans shop and got correct parts and advice there. He is now my transmission go to guy! At first mechanic did not believe me that a compact SUV would run a V8 style trans especially behind a 4 cylinder till he put my truck on the lift and he did a Gomer Pyle "golly" you do have a DC 545RFE!
Now I only use NAPA fot OTC Napa Gold oil, fuel and air filters. I NEVER have the clerks look up anything any more.
It used to be fun when auto parts store clerks would be surprised "Jeeps' got a Diesel??" but when they push wrong parts and advice its no longer giving me chuckles.

Make sure you get the proper filter application for 545RFE. Others may say 45rfe filters work but my experience says NO!

Roland

215x85 LRD BFG Commercial A/T's, Rola Rack, V6 airbox, Fumoto valve
10K winch, B5 Biodiesel (ULSD CP3 lube)
Its a Diesel baby!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:09 am 
LOST Newbie

I really don't want to tear it down to check out the filter, but might have to. I got them straight from the jeep dealer after I gave them the vin and told them what I want. They came back with, "you know that thing is a diesel?".

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sounds like air in the fuel filter? I know, it is weird but that is one of the things our Jeeps can do in such a situation, check for air by opening the primer and pressing the bleeder. Change the filter, add a lift pump at your option.

Mine did this same thing with high revving no shifting, and it was just a fuel problem.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Found this thread while researching a problem I'm having with my CRD. Seems like (possibly) another reason for the high rev/no accelerate problem. Here's the link that I posted recently:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=78790

What's the likelihood that fuel starvation might actually be the real root cause of the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Steve