It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Turn OFF AC in Floor mode?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:37 pm 
LOST Member

This is the single most annoying thing about my Jeep.

I have a 2005 CRD Limited:

My owners manual says, on page 213 (emphasis added by me):

Quote:
"Floor:
Air flows through the floor outlets located under the instrument panel and through the outlets located in the rear of the center console. Slight airflow from the defrost outlet, located at the base of the windshield, may be noticed. The air conditioning system has been enabled in Floor mode to provide less humid air, especially when heat is used. This will help you reduce or prevent window fogging in high humidity conditiond. This function cannot be disabled. You may still select the desired amount of heat using the temperature control dial. The heated air will simply be drier and less prone to condensing on cold window surfaces."

And then in relation to the defrost modes, on page 214 under the "Window Fogging" section:

Quote:
On air conditioned vehicles, the compressor will operate when in the Mix or Defrost modes and when the outside temperature is approximately 30degF (-1degC) to provide additional defrost/defog

This sucks.

First off, we have an "air conditioning" button. Why not just leave it at that? Tell us that if windows fog up, to turn on the AC. Why take the control out of our hands?

Second, why is it on ALL THE TIME on FLOOR mode (to prevent window fogging) but only on at or below 30degrees in the two defrost modes? Or is this a typo or misprint? Does the floor AC activate based on temperature as well? That would at least be understandable - if the reason was fogging.

Ideally, I would like the AC disabled on all modes except defrost - unless I specifically enable it.

My main problem is that on Bi-Level (vent and floor), the AC is not on. OK. But the flow out of the vents is way too high, and there is no way to shut the vents. Even re-directed it is way too high, even with fan speed on 1. And then, when I direct it away from me it usually hits either the passenger or the person in the back seat.

I would like to run just on Floor mode - but I don't want the AC running. I don't need it 99% of the time.

Is there a computer that controls the settings - or is there a simple wire connected to the "floor" position on the dial which turns on the AC - that we could disconnect?

I think *I* should be the one to decide if I need air that is drier or less prone to fogging...

Also, a nitpick: the light on the AC button should come on whenever the AC is on, so that we know what is being run at the time....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:20 pm 
LOST Member

I agree but many manufacturers are doing this. Joe six pack doesn't understand that turning on the AC with heat in the winter will defog windows faster than just heat. American cars have turned on the AC when in defrost mode for years. Our 2004 Subaru WRX does this too (it also doesn't light the AC button light). I wish I could control it myself but I'd rather deal with this than some moron driving w/ fogged windows.

I've given up explaining this to people. Every time I try I just get this blank stare along with, "but air conditioning makes the air cold!". Argh!

GDE Eco Tune and DPF delete
CB Engineering DPF delete pipe
EHM

Past (sold to Mountainman):
2005 Patriot Blue Liberty CRD Limited

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

Joe Sixpack is also too stupid to realize he should turn on his AC regularly in colder weather to lubricate the seals on the compressor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:20 pm 
LOST Member

Joe Sixpack is welcome to stop over with some Leinie's and I will tell him all this and explain ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:21 am 
LOST Member

grywlfbg wrote:
I agree but many manufacturers are doing this. Joe six pack doesn't understand that turning on the AC with heat in the winter will defog windows faster than just heat. American cars have turned on the AC when in defrost mode for years. Our 2004 Subaru WRX does this too (it also doesn't light the AC button light). I wish I could control it myself but I'd rather deal with this than some moron driving w/ fogged windows.

Sure. But what does this have to do with the "FLOOR" setting?

Like I said, I don't mind the defrost having the AC on, it's the "FLOOR" having the AC on is what bothers me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:33 am 
LOST Member

This was posted to another forum. It is for a Neon, but it is exactly what I want to do.

http://moparman.demoni.ca/New/neon_defroster.htm

So I need to pull off the console and have a look. Anyone have any instructions for pulling that off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

valkraider wrote:
This was posted to another forum. It is for a Neon, but it is exactly what I want to do.

http://moparman.demoni.ca/New/neon_defroster.htm

So I need to pull off the console and have a look. Anyone have any instructions for pulling that off?

Sent you A PM.....

other mods coming soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:42 am 
LOST Member

Valk...

Our CRD is in the shop today (fixing a small dent that happened the day before we picked it up new), but once it comes back I'm going to try to trace the circuits and see what I can come up with...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:09 pm 
LOST Member

Ok, I think I am on to something here.... Look at this thread...

http://jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1265

Now that we know what pin is for AC it should be easy to trace it back to the heater knob and disable :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:14 am 
LOST Member

Keep us posted on how it works...I'd like to do this one as well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:42 am 
LOST Member

It has been figured out. follow this link to bypass the "auto AC" feature

http://www.jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic. ... 8060#28060

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:51 am 
LOST Addict

SWEET! I didn't realize it was so easy. I've been wanting to do this since I got my Jeep. thanks!

2005 Stone White KJ Limited CRD 4x4
Off-Road Pkg
Trac-Lok
Emu 790s/948s
Skyjacker H7088s rear/Bilsteins front
15x7 Black Rock Lobos/31x10.50 Firestones
GDE HOT Tune + TCM Tune
Euro TC
CB radio
Thrush Turbo muffler
AEM DryFlow filter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:48 pm 
LOST Member

Yes! Did the mods (I posted in the other thread - the howto thread - my details). This worked great!

Awesome...

Fixed my biggest gripe...

Post subject: A different Driver Controlled A/C Compressor Mod
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:25 pm 
LOST Member

I did mine a little different. A picture is attached so you can see if you want to do yours this way. This method has the advantage of there being nothing to wear out (like tape or plastic) and it is very easily reversible by soldering in a piece of wire where you cut.

Remember, this has been done on a '06 Liberty, YMMV...:)

Here is the link to the picture:
http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/5545/hvacmodfo9.jpg

1) Remove the HVAC control head from the vehicle. Very easy to do, if you have problems with this part, stop here! :wink:

2) Remove the control head from the bezel by removing the 4 screws.

3) Remove the white cover from the back of the control head. DO NOT remove the vacuum switch attached to the back of the white cover, it will come off along with the cover just fine. There are 3 screws and about 8 snaps that you have to carefully work to remove the white cover.

3) Make 2 separate cuts in the copper strip where shown in the attached picture. I used a small pick to elevate the strips very slightly and cut them with wire cutters. Be careful not to rip the strip off the plastic attach points. I cut out a fairly large piece at each place, but it is up to you how big a chunk you want to cut out.

4) Solder an insulated wire from the post as shown on the picture, to a place just before where the connector is. Leave some room for when the white plastic cover is reinstalled. The wire shouldn't have to be a very heavy gage. I used a computer CD audio wire because of the nice cover on it.

5) Reinstall the white cover on the control unit, making sure the vacuum control valve is lined up and engaged properly. Make sure the wire that you just soldered in is not hitting any movable parts in the head, or is getting smashed into the top circuit board.

5) Reconnect all the HVAC control wiring (but not the vacuum lines) and test it's operation. You can do this without installing it onto the bezel for testing. The A/C compressor should now only come on when you press the A/C button, and not any other time.

6) If it works, reassemble the controller back into the bezel and the vehicle.

If it doesn't work, check over all the steps carefully. Make sure the cuts and wire attach points look just like the picture. You can always solder your cuts closed and remove your installed wire to take it back to original operation.

Just a word of warning if you do this mod. Make sure you periodically run your compressor throughout the winter months to make sure the seals in the A/C system get lubed and don't dry out!

Post subject: How about recirc
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:18 pm 
LOST Member

Is there a switch one can buy to attach the vacuum lines that will allow the user to control the recirculation independant of the mode selector for the HVAC controls?

Post subject: Re: How about recirc
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:49 am 
LOST Member

GilaMonster wrote:
Is there a switch one can buy to attach the vacuum lines that will allow the user to control the recirculation independent of the mode selector for the HVAC controls?

There probably is a way, but it's not a good idea. When in the recirc mode, the vehicle never gets rid of the moisture from the occupants, and the windows fog up after a time. Just ask a Toyota driver what happens when you do that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:41 pm 
LOST Member

So if I understand what I read in this thread correctly, the A/C compressor does not cycle on and off (even with the a/c button in the off position) in bi-level mode? It cycles on and off in any mode to the right of bi-level?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:33 pm 
LOST Member

richardkf wrote:
So if I understand what I read in this thread correctly, the A/C compressor does not cycle on and off (even with the a/c button in the off position) in bi-level mode? It cycles on and off in any mode to the right of bi-level?

That is correct, at least on the '06 model. (my experience) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:15 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks, I have to try that out. I have been running it in face vent only mode to keep the compressor from coming on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:00 pm 
LOST Newbie

OK, I am sometimes unlucky gaining access to the parts to do mentioned mods! Can someone please describe the steps to get the assembly removed from the vehicle that will allow me to solder in the wire mentioned by CHessMaster?

Kubota B7200 Diesel 4x4
Polaris 700 and 500 H.O. 4x4