It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: First troubles from my CRD... may need help.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:20 am 
LOST Member

Agreed Doc. This may end up being the answer. Just run it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:28 am 
LOST Newbie

hmm, find a coil yet?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:34 am 
LOST Member

nickademus wrote:
hmm, find a coil yet?

Nope, never did. I have one from the junkyard that I may mill down and see if it will fit. Have to be careful not to nick a wire.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi Folks,

I'm writing this because I've been recently hearing a chirp / sqeek noise coming from the right side of the engine compartment. Symptoms: Just past being warmed up ~ 1/4 on the temp gage and heading up a hill. Followed by the chirp / sqeek noise. Felt like turbo lag. My first thought was to pull the intake hose to the turbo.

Well... I did and thought, at the time, that the impeller radial play was excessive so I proceeded to rebuild the entire turbocharger. If you need help with this (anyone) please write back becasue I was successfull with the rebuild.

Well...after putting the newly rebuilt turbo back in, the sqeek came back again. :banghead: Started to read the posts on the viscous heater. For the heck of it, I pulled the viscous heater relay. Well, the chirp and sqeeks went away and I've noticed an increase in MPGs.

My thermostat is bad - I'm running ~ 1/4 on the guage. I'm thinking of purchasing the Staat inline thermostat.

Now... why is this car so special that it even needs this viscous heater? Old diesels never had this? People just simply knew how to properly warm up a diesel and not womp on it when its cold. I'm thinking of just leaving the VH unhooked via relay and purchasing the inline Staat. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Because your thermostat is bad, your VH runs continuously, costing at least 3 mpg. Getting the temp up to 195 with the in-hose thermostat will get it to turn off. Or, GDE can limit the VH in their tunes (see my sig). Or, pull the relay as you have.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

Last edited by DOC4444 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:41 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

X2 on Doc's comment. IMHO the viscous heater is a largely unnecessary semi-luxury item that really should have been offered only as an option if at all but many light desiel vehicles have one or something similar. The only purpose the viscous heater and other similar systems is to artificially provide some heat to the engine coolant going directly to the passenger compartment heater core during the engine warm up cycle. Since diesel engines warm up slower than gas engines this has the "benefit" of providing heat to passengers a bit earlier than it would otherwise be available. There may also be some incidential benefit to warming the engine block by circulating coolant warmed by the viscous but I cannot see how that would be much.

In warmer areas like mine I don't see any benefit and my viscous relay is unplugged year round. In colder northern areas there may be some comfort benefit from using the viscous during the winter. Regardless of location when temps are above say 50F I don't see any benefit from the viscous as the engine warms the coolant promptly.

All this assumes a functional thermostat. If the tstat fails open it's certainly possible that the engine will not heat the coolant enough to reach the viscous heater cutoff point which is controlled by coolant temp. GDE lowers that cutoff point but I don't recall what the OEM or GDE cutoff temps are.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:34 pm 
LOST Member

Got the squeak in the VC pulley. Just bought the 35x52x22 on eBay for $12.99.

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:41 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thank you very much. I used this thread to get my jeep back on the road without having to spend the 600.00 for the heater and just replaced the bearing. :D :BANANA:

So the question I have is, has anyone found a replacement clutch yet? I want to get this back to normal but don't think I will spend that kind of money for something that can be fixed with a new clutch. :?:

Thanks
Clint

Ok one wasnt enough now we have his and hers. Hers is above mine is a

'05 Sport CRD Light Khaki, just bought Mar '12 with 53,000 miles.
Maf, Inline thermostat, GDE Hot tune.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:41 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Unless the coil has been damaged by the failed bearing, the clutch itself should still be quite functional. It needs to be pressed down to almost contacting the inner face. The disc with all the slots in it "sucks down" when the magnet activates - but it can't move much. Work it in to where the pulley spins clean but is just half a sheet of paper from contact. The coil is just a bunch of wires, so it shouldn't ever go bad unless it is physically damaged.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:32 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello everyone.
I know this is one year old but I found the coil :)
I live in Europe so it might not be of too much help, but the coil is: CARGO 250037. Over here it costs around $35 and can be delivered in 3 days.
My viscous heater bearing died and took out my coil. I opened up the rear of the heater and found zero gel in it. Just some clumps which looked like hardened gel. What kind of gel should I use? This might be an even more difficult question than what coil is on there.

On second thought, Renault diesels use 3/4 glow-plugs in an aluminum case which can be installed on a hose. If I don't find a heater for a good price or the gel, I'm thinking about leaving it without a coil (basically an idler) and using the signal for the coil to fire up the glow-plugs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:41 am 
LOST Addict

AdrianD wrote:
Hello everyone.
I live in Europe so it might not be of too much help, but the coil is: CARGO 250037. Over here it costs around $35 and can be delivered in 3 days.
My viscous heater bearing died and took out my coil. I opened up the rear of the heater and found zero gel in it. Just some clumps which looked like hardened gel. What kind of gel should I use? This might be an even more difficult question than what coil is on there.

On second thought, Renault diesels use 3/4 glow-plugs in an aluminum case which can be installed on a hose. If I don't find a heater for a good price or the gel, I'm thinking about leaving it without a coil (basically an idler) and using the signal for the coil to fire up the glow-plugs.

Just out of curiosity, do you find the viscous heater functionality very important? Many of us here took out the relay that turns on the viscous heater because we wanted to save fuel. I one see absolutely no disadvantage in doing this, few more minutes till the heat in the cabin hits comparable values as with a working viscous heater won't matter. So we use the viscous heater as a pulley. Not sure if you have different preferences, but this at least should help you decide what are your options.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

papaindigo wrote:
X2 on Doc's comment. IMHO the viscous heater is a largely unnecessary semi-luxury item that really should have been offered only as an option if at all but many light desiel vehicles have one or something similar. The only purpose the viscous heater and other similar systems is to artificially provide some heat to the engine coolant going directly to the passenger compartment heater core during the engine warm up cycle. Since diesel engines warm up slower than gas engines this has the "benefit" of providing heat to passengers a bit earlier than it would otherwise be available. There may also be some incidential benefit to warming the engine block by circulating coolant warmed by the viscous but I cannot see how that would be much.

In warmer areas like mine I don't see any benefit and my viscous relay is unplugged year round. In colder northern areas there may be some comfort benefit from using the viscous during the winter. Regardless of location when temps are above say 50F I don't see any benefit from the viscous as the engine warms the coolant promptly.

All this assumes a functional thermostat. If the tstat fails open it's certainly possible that the engine will not heat the coolant enough to reach the viscous heater cutoff point which is controlled by coolant temp. GDE lowers that cutoff point but I don't recall what the OEM or GDE cutoff temps are.

It would have been great as an option, but did any one actually order a CRD, or did you have to take what is on the lot?

It would also be nice if CA emissions stayed there, but unfortunately we all have to have that garbage attached to our engines?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:39 am 
LOST Newbie

thermorex wrote:
AdrianD wrote:
Hello everyone.

Just out of curiosity, do you find the viscous heater functionality very important? Many of us here took out the relay that turns on the viscous heater because we wanted to save fuel. I one see absolutely no disadvantage in doing this, few more minutes till the heat in the cabin hits comparable values as with a working viscous heater won't matter. So we use the viscous heater as a pulley. Not sure if you have different preferences, but this at least should help you decide what are your options.

I read about pulling the fuse and setting a lower stopping temperature with a tune.
To be honest, I did not have the opportunity to test with/without the viscous heater. I have had the car since November and the viscous heater was leaky when I got it.
Having quicker warm-up times means less fuel consumption in the winter.
For now, I found a good used viscous heater (no leaks, good bearing), I will install that and until next winter I can think about adding the extra electrical heater from a Renault. VW TDI's have a similar electrical heater but it's installed in the head.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:27 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Oregon Coast Dairy Country. Land of stumps, dumps, and "Liquid Pumps"
Mine only needed a bearing, so I had no need to compare the clutch unit, but the bearing is a direct fit application for the AC clutches in 2004-08 Chrysler Crossfire and 2004 Mercedes SLK.

$80 http://www.ebay.com/itm/A-C-AC-Compress ... H7&vxp=mtr

Again, I don't know if it is the one, but it seems worth checking for those that need it.

Sasquatch
DSS Turbo
CAT-elimntr
Weeks Stg1&2 EGRfix
PV-200
BLING
vent gauges

IDParts
head
cams
rockers
Timing set
ARP studs
eTn1 GX2123 5v GPs

YETI Custom Tune
Flowmaster 8325508
Carter P76611M
GM 12611872
Hayden 2986
GM 15976889
PATC Custom Billet
2010 Ram Hemi Trans
Sonnax 44957
Transgo kit
Cooper 51770

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:51 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
For anyone browsing this thread now - do not also neglect the alternator pulley if you hear a squeaking in the engine! The alternator clutched pulley (decoupler) can lock up and cause the tensioner to fail ($$$) but may also put extra stress on everything else in the serpentine belt system.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:47 am 
LOST Newbie

I replaced the bearing in mine today thanks to all the info provided by other members. I was convinced that the noise that I was hearing was due to a bad crankshaft damper. Once I realized that the damper was in good shape, I found that the VH bearing had a little play in it. I was lucky enough to find the bearing in-stock at Autozone. The part # is MT2149. The whole job only took about 20 minutes with pressing the bearing out of and into the pulley with a shop press.

07 WK CRD - GDE Eco Tune
04 WJ 4.0 - RC 4" lift

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hello, fellow CRD enthusiasts, long time no see, and happy to say that my CRD is still kicking. I have a question regarding the viscous heater repair that rooster went through.

Has anyone found the replacement clutch?

I purchased the 35mm ID X 52mm OD x 22mm bearing from autozone and I am ready to go.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:21 pm 

Finding a good used clutch should be fairly easy as I have provided well over 100 viscous heater delete kits to owners in the US alone. Not sure what those owners did with the VH's they removed.

I also have a good viscous heater that I removed off my CRD back several years ago that I can take the clutch off of it and sell it if anyone wants it.
It was working perfectly when it was removed. I removed it as it was not in service and never used.

Or, I can provide you with a Viscous Heater delete kit to eliminate the viscous heater clutch, bearing, and possible coolant leak point along with deleting the parasitic HP drain on the engine. Simple install, reuses OEM serpentine belt, and comes with complete illustrated installation procedures.

Viscous heaters provide very little actual heat input into the cabin heater and are not needed in many parts of the country. I ran for years with the VH relay removed before developing the VH Delete Kit. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:43 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
Finding a good used clutch should be fairly easy as I have provided well over 100 viscous heater delete kits to owners in the US alone. Not sure what those owners did with the VH's they removed.

I also have a good viscous heater that I removed off my CRD back several years ago that I can take the clutch off of it and sell it if anyone wants it.
It was working perfectly when it was removed. I removed it as it was not in service and never used.

Or, I can provide you with a Viscous Heater delete kit to eliminate the viscous heater clutch, bearing, and possible coolant leak point along with deleting the parasitic HP drain on the engine. Simple install, reuses OEM serpentine belt, and comes with complete illustrated installation procedures.

Viscous heaters provide very little actual heat input into the cabin heater and are not needed in many parts of the country. I ran for years with the VH relay removed before developing the VH Delete Kit. :wink:

I will take a delete kit. How do I get one?

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:43 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:

I will take a delete kit. How do I get one?

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next