It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Have you had a turbo inlet hose failure?
Yes, with stock CCV. 37%  37%  [ 76 ]
Yes, with EHM or provent for more than 50% of useage. 5%  5%  [ 11 ]
Yes, with EHM or provent for less than 50% of useage. 7%  7%  [ 14 ]
Not yet/No. 49%  49%  [ 102 ]
Other: (please explain, and say other in your post so we know the comments are "other") 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 207
 Post subject: PSA check your turbo inlet hose:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:47 pm 
LOST Addict

I think a few other people have noticed this problem too, but during my recent timing belt replacement I found this out to be bad on my jeep, just like other people have reported it busted right down at the clamp on the turbo inlet, this is where the CCV return line goes into the inlet air tube.

So between the heat off of the turbo and the oily mist returning through the CCV it seems like this part is destined for eventual failure.

I should note I have been running with the EHM since about 45k miles, the current mileage is 111k, and who knows how long this has been a little busted.

As our vehicles age this is going to be something that we all should inspect. I wonder if Samco might be interested in making an upgraded hose for this too.............OEM new ones run between $41-80 locally, with more of them being on the 60+ mark.

Part number in the following diagram is correct, the diagram and part number are pulled direct from the Parts Fiche, it just shows the RS(town and country) 2.8 Intake instead of our KJ intake. This is pretty common to reuse pictures that are not important for identification.

Last edited by Sir Sam on Thu May 12, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: PSA check your turbo inlet hose:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:02 pm 
LOST Junkie

Yikes! I need to check this. Amazing how that oil vapor can eat up the plastic involved.
I would be very interested in a Samco type replacement product to eliminate this cancer style corrosion on the inlet hose.

Roland

215x85 LRD BFG Commercial A/T's, Rola Rack, V6 airbox, Fumoto valve
10K winch, B5 Biodiesel (ULSD CP3 lube)
Its a Diesel baby!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:52 pm 
LOST Addict

The oil from the CCV tends to "pool" in the same vicinity of the failure. We replaced this part on both our test vehicles around the 80k mark. The hose is fairly thin where the failure occurred, it would not take much to beef up the part. The injection molds might be a large investment cost. This is going to be a near 100% failure for most CRD owners. If the hose still fails on vehicles running provent or EHM mods, that wouild point to heat being the critical factor...which would be a bummer.

The hose could be a two-piece design with a plastic fitting at the turbo to better handle the heat. Then it would be $100-$150 for a lifetime fix.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:14 pm 
LOST Junkie

I can see how excessive engine vibration due to bad mounts or rough idle might try to tear at this also. Do you think that a Samco type hose would have enough flex for engine vibration? Especially this short coupled.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:47 pm 
LOST Addict

What does this have to do with oil or EHM?

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 11:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

been running EHM since the Jeep was a year old, about 15k. Still looks great at 100,000.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:41 am 
LOST Addict

GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
The oil from the CCV tends to "pool" in the same vicinity of the failure. We replaced this part on both our test vehicles around the 80k mark. The hose is fairly thin where the failure occurred, it would not take much to beef up the part. The injection molds might be a large investment cost. This is going to be a near 100% failure for most CRD owners. If the hose still fails on vehicles running provent or EHM mods, that wouild point to heat being the critical factor...which would be a bummer.

The hose could be a two-piece design with a plastic fitting at the turbo to better handle the heat. Then it would be $100-$150 for a lifetime fix.

Yes I think heat was a factor here, I had the EHM running for quite a while on this vehicle.

Also, the Samco hoses are not injection molded, so I think development costs are pretty reasonible.

If you think this is going to be near 100% failure for us then I think I will get in touch with Paul @ Samco who worked with us to develop the original set.
(which FYI the original prototype set is still doing quite well in my Jeep at ~70k miles).

Squeeto wrote:
I can see how excessive engine vibration due to bad mounts or rough idle might try to tear at this also. Do you think that a Samco type hose would have enough flex for engine vibration? Especially this short coupled.

If Samco did make a replacement hose for us they would need to make one with a flexible joint.

JL Rockies wrote:
What does this have to do with oil or EHM?

Without the EHM or provent you are going to experience a shortened life span of this part. Running the stock CCV will make this part fail faster.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:18 am 
LOST Newbie

I still need to check this... didn't do EHM until about 60k miles so I'm afraid the damage may have already been done.

If Samco were to do a replacement, I'd like to see the CCV inlet deleted. The problem of course would be then that the customer would be forced to do an EHM and they would have to advertise it as an off-road only product.

2005 KJ CRD
GDE Eco tune | Ram/Cummins lift pump | Samco IC hoses
OME lift | Treadwright Warden 265/75R16 | front & rear hitches | Mopar skids
Uniden Pro 520XL | GlowShift boost gauge| WeatherTech mats | some other funny business

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:15 am 
LOST Member

Mine hasn't failed yet (with stock CCV), but it is weeping pretty badly at the turbo. Anyone happen to have the part # for a replacement handy?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:19 am 
LOST Junkie

Might not help, but it might prolong the hose life a bit: wrap the probable failure area with self-fusing silicone tape. Clamp goes over the tape, of course. It might be a waste of $5, but it might be worth a try.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:46 pm 
LOST Junkie

The hose on the early Export 2.5/2.8 CRDs look nothing like this type of hose but of course we have the older, much sort after, airbox that sits higher up so only a short basic hose is used. I had a look at mine about a month ago while replacing my two CAC hoses (one had blown!) and the inlet hose looked perfect..no EHM or otherwise fitted, 155,000 kms. :)

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:18 pm 
LOST Addict

sidebrake wrote:
I still need to check this... didn't do EHM until about 60k miles so I'm afraid the damage may have already been done.

If Samco were to do a replacement, I'd like to see the CCV inlet deleted. The problem of course would be then that the customer would be forced to do an EHM and they would have to advertise it as an off-road only product.

Ya I thought of that too, but I think for them to sell something then it needs to be stock compatible.

Right now though it looks like there is not enough need for something like this, untill we see a few more failures then I won't bother following up with samco.

chrismc wrote:
Mine hasn't failed yet (with stock CCV), but it is weeping pretty badly at the turbo. Anyone happen to have the part # for a replacement handy?

See newly added photo above.

Last edited by Sir Sam on Thu May 12, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I cannot speak to how many folks have had this failure but I know stoutdog has, he discovered his when swapping the OEM tstat for kap's upgrade only because he took this hose off for access. I've seen enough chat to add this to the things I check at every oil change though. Given the location of the failure and how invisible it is under normal circumstances and the serious downside of direct injection into the turbo of totally unfiltered outside air or water/mud/dust for off roaders it's an very easy failure to overlook and a potential straight line to catastrophic turbo and/or engine failure. My personal bet is there are a bunch of folks driving with a failed hose they simply cannot see. On that basis alone I for one would be happy to pay say $100 or so for a silicone install and forget it fix from Samco given that the stock replacement is ca. $60 and will ultimately fail again. I already happily shelled out for Samco radiator hoses for my CRD and stoutdog's before the stock hoses failed but then I'm the sort that likes to be a bit proactive with respect to addressing known likely failure points on the assumption it's cheaper in the long run.

On that basis, Sir Sam if you have a direct Samco contact I'd think it would be worth at least asking the question is a silicone replacement feasible and roughly what would be the per unit cost based on the assumption they want to make at least some money on the deal.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:09 pm 
LOST Addict

papaindigo wrote:
I cannot speak to how many folks have had this failure but I know stoutdog has, he discovered his when swapping the OEM tstat for kap's upgrade only because he took this hose off for access. I've seen enough chat to add this to the things I check at every oil change though. Given the location of the failure and how invisible it is under normal circumstances and the serious downside of direct injection into the turbo of totally unfiltered outside air or water/mud/dust for off roaders it's an very easy failure to overlook and a potential straight line to catastrophic turbo and/or engine failure. My personal bet is there are a bunch of folks driving with a failed hose they simply cannot see.

On that basis, Sir Sam if you have a direct Samco contact I'd think it would be worth at least asking the question is a silicone replacement feasible and roughly what would be the per unit cost based on the assumption they want to make at least some money on the deal.

I agree, I think it's plenty likely there are other people out there with this failure and they didn't know it, heck I didn't know it untill I got around to changing my timing belt, and in the process moved around enough stuff to realize it was busted.

More than that, when I called around to dealers in the area it turned out that three of them had it in stock, so there is enough demand for this part that its being stocked by dealers, even for the relatively low numbers of CRDs out there.
(if someone else had started this thread a week ago I would have voted "NO")

The only problem with Samco is that they need to feel like there is enough interest to justify their R&D for it. A few years back(man how long ago was that?) when my hoses failed enough other people had it fail that there was interest. I think in a day or two we were able to get enough people to show their interest to samco based on the number of failures that they saw the potential. So far we really only have two documented failures here, so untill we can show more proof of this failure I will not approach them just yet.

So guys, maybe this weekend would be a good time to do some "spring cleaning" check your MAPs, check your fuel filters, check your air filters, and then while your in there to check the air filter give this little guy a checking, its two hose clamps and then it comes off.

This is the type of failure that you don't know until you actually pull it.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My father apparently already chimed in for me, but I figured I should mention I'm "yes" vote #2. I noticed that mine had failed about a month ago, at just 38k miles on the CRD with no EHM/Provent mod. The failure looked 100% identical to Sir Sam's...

I would highly recommend folks check this part on their vehicle, as I would put money on it that at least a couple of the "no" votes here are running with a busted or nearly busted hose and just don't know it yet. It takes all of 5 minutes to check, but you absolutely must reach back there and try to remove the hose, don't just look at it. Mine looked fine until I went to move it out of the way during the tstat upgrade, then it just slid right off the turbo, leaving the clamp and remaining plastic ring behind the 'lip.' Part should run $40-50 at the dealer - mine was able to get a new part overnight.

GDE Eco Tune, GDE TCM Tune, Bauer 203* Tstat, Amsoil EaA 201 Filter, Clean MAP, Samco CAC Hoses, Magnaflow Muffler #12226.
New Mopar Fuel Filter, K&N Filterminder, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
225/75R16 Hankook Dynapros

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

replaced mine twice - running Provent most of the time.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:54 pm 
LOST Addict

ATXKJ wrote:

Damm. At what mileage did these failures occur?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:28 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks - has been added to my to do list and bookmarks tab :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:18 am 
LOST Addict

Wobbly wrote:
Might not help, but it might prolong the hose life a bit: wrap the probable failure area with self-fusing silicone tape. Clamp goes over the tape, of course. It might be a waste of $5, but it might be worth a try.

I tried that the first time I discovered the tear in the hose. It worked great untill the next time I had to
pull the hose off, then it ripped off completely.

Quote:

Unfortunantly, the Provent does not trap ALL the oil coming through the CCV. It only delays the inevitable.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:29 am 
LOST Junkie

flash7210 wrote:
Wobbly wrote:

I tried that the first time I discovered the tear in the hose. It worked great untill the next time I had to
pull the hose off, then it ripped off completely.

Evidently once it starts to tear it's too late for tape.