It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Have you had a turbo inlet hose failure?
Yes, with stock CCV. 37%  37%  [ 76 ]
Yes, with EHM or provent for more than 50% of useage. 5%  5%  [ 11 ]
Yes, with EHM or provent for less than 50% of useage. 7%  7%  [ 14 ]
Not yet/No. 49%  49%  [ 102 ]
Other: (please explain, and say other in your post so we know the comments are "other") 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 207
 Post subject: Re: PSA check your turbo inlet hose:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:05 pm 
LOST Member

Mine just sheered off at the turbo clamp tonight..........sucks that it happened just a few minutes after closing time a mile from the dealer while running errands though, do I gotta wait a couple days now to fix...........cause I seriously doubt they'll have one in stock tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:10 am 
LOST Junkie

Mine hadn't failed outright, but there was a lot of seepage.

I replaced them at the same time I was doing other work: ~145k miles.

Mark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:26 am 
LOST Addict

2mopar_diesels wrote:
Mine just sheered off at the turbo clamp tonight..........sucks that it happened just a few minutes after closing time a mile from the dealer while running errands though, do I gotta wait a couple days now to fix...........cause I seriously doubt they'll have one in stock tomorrow.

Try not to drive it too much in the meantime as pulling unfiltered air through your turbo is not healthy, would not want you to destroy your new turbo.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:07 am 
LOST Member

GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
2mopar_diesels wrote:

Try not to drive it too much in the meantime as pulling unfiltered air through your turbo is not healthy, would not want you to destroy your new turbo.

Yeh, It's sitting till Tuesday when the hose comes in. Good thing is the local dealer only wants $54 for a new one!!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:41 am 
LOST Member

I discovered that mine had failed shortly before the 100K mileage mark. I installed the EHM at around the 92K mark.

Although it was not clamped at the turbo inlet, I was able to push the now broken end of the hose onto the comp. housing and it made a decent albeit temporary seal.

I have since replaced the hose of course. So... let's see: I have the GDE FT Eco Tune, a new fresh air intake hose, EHM addition, Samcos, new CAC, an AFE ProGUARD 7 drop-in replacement air filter and have chosen to leave off the air intake hose at the front of the lower filter housing. Thumper is running better than ever.

FWIW,

Hoosier CRD

#1 Liberty: '05 CRD Limited Stone White
(SOLD Dec. 2013)
#2 Liberty: ???
"Why guess when you can know?"- Carroll Smith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

100% stock, 95kish mine is cut and failing.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:28 pm 
LOST Member

I put a new hose in while I did the work on the top end of my CRD's engine. I took a copper 1/2 inch coupling and a cap, soldered them together and stuffed it into the hole where the port is for the CCV. then I did the Airbox EHM Mod.

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD: Samco, No Muffller, EGR removed, Mechanical Fan Back On, Rancho RS5k's, Self Installed Rockers, Lifters, Engine Mounts, and Timing Belt, CCV to Airbox Mod, Hacked RB1, CD-Changer, AuxInput; 2005 PowerStroke Excursion 6.0: Rancho 9k's, SuperChipped, Stock otherwise. BioDiesel Maker.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:41 am 
LOST Newbie

Me girlfriend had her CRD in at the stealership to have the water pump and timing belt done and she got a call from the stealership that her turbo was toast and it was going to cost her $3700 to replace it. When I went down to see what they were talking about, they showed me the intake hose and said the oil seals in the turbo were leaking so badly that this was what it caused. GF poked around here on LOST and I called Keith at GDE and PRESTO ! we were edumuctated ! Needless to say, we will not be going to that shop ever again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Now that's priceless. Wonder exactly how they thought the oil flowed upstream in the air flow into the turbo; not to mention the total inability to deduce that the source of the oil just might be that hose from the CCV just above the failure point.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:42 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Come now Jim... That would require LOGIC on the part of the "technicians" at the dealer, and we all know they drove those people out LONG ago in favor of service writers who type in "car broke" on the ticket and think that answers everything.

I'm glad your GF listened and looked around here, and that you didn't give that dealership a perfectly good turbo for them to re-sell!

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:45 am 
LOST Newbie

Yeah, well, we figured that we're gettin' paranoid 'cause we figured that the new turbo from L.A. would have turned out to be OUR turbo cleaned up and reinstalled.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I originally voted no mine hasn't failed. I never took mine off but I knew it was attached. Well after finally getting my new hose in from onlinemoparparts.com last night, I pulled my old one off and found it torn. I am at 92k, and have been doing provent for only about 5k miles. Lots of seepage with the old hose around the hose clamp.

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:26 am 
LOST Member

Okay, so I am just getting around to reading this thread and wondering what my inlet hose looks like when something dawned on me. Is it possible because of how difficult it is to get to hose, that some of those "failed hoses" are a result of removing a weakened hose vs an actual failed hose? I have experienced this when working on older cars that those hoses lose their flexibility as they get old, any attempt to remove a "good" hose turns it into toast. Maybe this falls under the category "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Not trying to say that these hoses and the oil intrusion isn't a crappy design and preventative maintainance and replacement shouldn't be done but maybe not until a new hose is in hand.

What might be the symptoms of a failed/cracked hose in order to know if hose really needs to be tampered with before pulling/prodding on that old weakened hose?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No real symptoms that I know of although it's possible there might be some "extra" oil drips down on that side of the engine but drips can come from the silly little rubber "push" seal on the turbo return line too. You can sort of see, with a flashlight the passenger edge of the under side from up top and some of the bottom from down below. However IMHO this hose is pretty robust and won't tear on removal unlesss it's virtually ready to go anyway. Lifespan without EHM varies - mine is fine at 45K but stoutdog's was gone at ca. 40K

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:21 pm 
LOST Member

Does anyone know where I can order a Turbo Inlet Hose online and the part number i need one asap, thanks

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Any Mopar supplier that has it although I would not order on line as shipping will likely eat up any savings given that it's only like $60 at a dealer. Part # 53013104AE

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:13 pm 
LOST Addict

shadow63 wrote:
Does anyone know where I can order a Turbo Inlet Hose online and the part number i need one asap, thanks

Look at the last picture in the original post.......it shows the part diagram and the part number.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:45 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:16 am 
LOST Addict

I just joined this club. Just For Jeeps squared me away, for about $30 cheaper than the local dealers too!!!!!

Post subject: PSA check your turbo inlet hose:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:31 am 
LOST Member

Well,

I guess I am the lucky one here. I pulled the inlet hose off this time checking for other things and it still looks great!

There was oil coating the bottom of the hose at the interface of the hose and turbo inlet. The plastic looks good and I put the hose back on.

Any thoughts about a metal hose like I posted last year?

Yes I'm old enough to know better :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next