It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Have you had a turbo inlet hose failure?
Yes, with stock CCV. 37%  37%  [ 76 ]
Yes, with EHM or provent for more than 50% of useage. 5%  5%  [ 11 ]
Yes, with EHM or provent for less than 50% of useage. 7%  7%  [ 14 ]
Not yet/No. 49%  49%  [ 102 ]
Other: (please explain, and say other in your post so we know the comments are "other") 2%  2%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 207
 Post subject: Re: PSA check your turbo inlet hose:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No comment on metal hose but a word of advice on install/reinstall of the rubber/plastic hose. Be sure to push/pull/twist the airbox end all the way up until it touches the MAF sensor before tightening the clamp lest you crush the airbox lid outlet. Been there done that as has another member who will remain nameless.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:25 pm 
LOST Addict

DadsDiesel wrote:
Well,

I guess I am the lucky one here. I pulled the inlet hose off this time checking for other things and it still looks great!

There was oil coating the bottom of the hose at the interface of the hose and turbo inlet. The plastic looks good and I put the hose back on.

Any thoughts about a metal hose like I posted last year?

I don't think I would do a metal hose on such a short run. It's built with bellows to allow it to flex because the engine rocks quite a bit from side to side. Plus it would still need to have silicone couplers at both ends to seal to the turbo and airbox, so you'd be talking about maybe 3" of metal tube in the middle, not to mention provision for the CCV inlet.

Post subject: PSA check your turbo inlet hose:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:54 am 
LOST Addict

I'd buy a Samco Sport one tomorrow if they had one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:06 pm 
LOST Member

CCV inlet???

'pa-toohey'

Mine won't have that!

Oh wait, for all those EPA monitors.... I am j/k

Yes I'm old enough to know better :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:35 pm 
LOST Addict

I have yet to call Samco Sport back about this. I caught the R&D folks at lunch on Monday and have not had a chance to call back yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:22 pm 
LOST Addict

Do the coolant hoses look right? It seems awfully wrong the way they are routed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

Excuse if this hasn't been answered before, but are these inlet hoses located beneath or behind the air-filter box?
I'm still completely new to this and while I spotted where the turbo actually was(below the CCV hockey-puck) I'm sort of at a loss to spot exactly where these vital hoses are.
I've done a few long trips, but I'm holding off anything of major distance until I get most of all the prescribed preventatives out of the way.

New Torque Convertor.

2005 Montague Paratrooper MTB
2001 Rans V-Rex Recumbent
1985 Schwinn World Tour, Fixed-gear

Yanking tankers full of Moo-Juice!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bentstrider83 wrote:
Excuse if this hasn't been answered before, but are these inlet hoses located beneath or behind the air-filter box?
I'm still completely new to this and while I spotted where the turbo actually was(below the CCV hockey-puck) I'm sort of at a loss to spot exactly where these vital hoses are.
I've done a few long trips, but I'm holding off anything of major distance until I get most of all the prescribed preventatives out of the way.

It's the hose that connects the airfilter housing top/lid to the turbo... so "behind" would be a good description

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:45 am 
LOST Newbie

arengant wrote:
bentstrider83 wrote:

It's the hose that connects the airfilter housing top/lid to the turbo... so "behind" would be a good description

Sweet.
I'll check this out as soon as there's more light around.
Thanks in advance.

New Torque Convertor.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:04 am 
LOST Junkie

Mine not broken and have been using a Provent for a few years.

K&N Air Filter, 2nd gen Fuel filter head
NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
Stant 13519 195 deg inline Thermostat.
0 281 002 845 MAP
Etecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs
Advance Gold 800CCA Battery
Traded it for a Quality VW TDI

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

bentstrider83 - when you are in there checking it take a look at the impeller at the front of the turbo. There should be no evidence of scraping of the impeller fins on the housing and there should be no more than a slight amount of for/aft play and no more than a bare hint of side to side play. When reinstalling the airbox to turbo hose be sure the airbox end is pulled/pushed up to where it touches the MAF sensor before tightening the clamp and don't godzilla the clamp as either can result in a crushed airbox hose outlet (I know).

If you have not already done so read thru Sam's NOOB guide.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
bentstrider83 - when you are in there checking it take a look at the impeller at the front of the turbo. There should be no evidence of scraping of the impeller fins on the housing and there should be no more than a slight amount of for/aft play and no more than a bare hint of side to side play. When reinstalling the airbox to turbo hose be sure the airbox end is pulled/pushed up to where it touches the MAF sensor before tightening the clamp and don't godzilla the clamp as either can result in a crushed airbox hose outlet (I know).

I'll definitely be checking for that too.
I've read the n00b guide and have been following it thoroughly.
That MAP sensor clean seems to have made an absolute difference in things.
MPG prior to that was dicey, but after cleaning, I made a trip from Clovis to Lubbock and back.
A little over a 1/4 tank was used for the entire trip!!

Figure around 30-32 mpg compared to what was 24ish prior.

New Torque Convertor.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:43 pm 
LOST Junkie

papaindigo wrote:

+1 on all that. PapaIndigo is giving you the straight skinny.

Turbo cooldown is, I suspect, a very important bit of keeping this engine running right and lack of soot load and frequent oil changes is another.

2005 Liberty CRD- ARP studs, Fumoto, Hayden FC, inline Tstat, ETechno 7v GP, Platinum P1, in-tank lift pump.
1983 Volvo D24T
1981 Volvo D24
Dodge Cummins TD
Case 580B
Mitsubishi MT180 diesel
Kubota BX25 diesel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:37 pm 
LOST Member

Sam just gave me a heads up on this thread (as a result of the oil I mentioned in another thread coming from my turbo), so I'll definitely be checking this asap --especially since there was such an abundance of oil on/around/below the turbo when I checked at purchase (which I thought was from the turbo oil drain line, but everyone is suggesting might be this or the CCV hoses instead).

Any leads on "better than stock" replacements yet?

I will also be sure to check the turbo fan, as papaindigo suggests, if and when I am replacing this hose.

05 CRD Limited (black), factory skids, Fumoto Valve, ARP Studs, Hayden HD fan clutch, EGR delete, Seyfert CRD Stage 2, 225/70R16, EGT gauge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:31 pm 
LOST Junkie

Found mine cracked today. Have been checking it each oil change, But noticed a small amount of oil leaking from the turbo intake where it was cracked. Lasted 104k. Check them often boys.

Dealer cost $59.20 but charged me $46.15 it will be here in a the AM. The best price i could find was $40.83 + shipping from Factory OEM parts.

NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
0 281 002 845 MAP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:44 pm 
LOST Member

bentstrider83 wrote:
That MAP sensor clean seems to have made an absolute difference in things. MPG prior to that was dicey, but after cleaning, I made a trip from Clovis to Lubbock and back. A little over a 1/4 tank was used for the entire trip!!

Figure around 30-32 mpg compared to what was 24ish prior.

My MAP sensor clean changed things drastically as well. However, I have actually seen a drop in my MPG... but that's probably because it's SO MUCH more fun to step on the pedal now. :shock:

I am loving this little Jeep! :lol:

05 CRD Limited (black), factory skids, Fumoto Valve, ARP Studs, Hayden HD fan clutch, EGR delete, Seyfert CRD Stage 2, 225/70R16, EGT gauge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:17 am 
LOST Addict

Just a quick update, I've replaced the air box to turbo hose, at almost 122k, the old hose looked very good, maybe previous owner replaced it before (got the crd at 78k).
But I'm glad I did it, less things to worry about! It seems the provent is doing its job, there was no oil in the cac hose and all the oily deposit on the replaced hose (outside) was old and dry.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

kjjet wrote:
Found mine cracked today. Have been checking it each oil change, But noticed a small amount of oil leaking from the turbo intake where it was cracked. Lasted 104k. Check them often boys.

Dealer cost $59.20 but charged me $46.15 it will be here in a the AM. The best price i could find was $40.83 + shipping from Factory OEM parts.

104K that is how long the fresh air hose lasted on the Sport as well, only because I broke it while removing it for an engine mount replacement. It may have lasted even longer undisturbed? :POPCORN:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

I saw 2 months ago a kid on the forums asking about high idle and 3 inch idle and all that stuff that the big diesel guys do. He said his had a metal Intake tube on his. I cant remember where i read this or what his username was. However, im thinking of doing a metal tube when i do my exhaust on mine. We will see, can anyone thing of a reason not to run a mandrel bent pipe? other then not taking the rattle of the engine all to well?

245/75/r16 Wrangler MT/R's
'02 dodge 3/4ton pick-em-up truck
35 12.50 16 Super swamper ltbs
Built 360, Built transmission dana 60s front and rear
5 inch bds/tough country/Dodgeoffroad lift
Hurculined inside the cab
^contact me if interested, maybe selling for the right price to SAS the CRD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:34 pm 
LOST Junkie

Oilburner44 wrote:
I saw 2 months ago a kid on the forums asking about high idle and 3 inch idle and all that stuff that the big diesel guys do. He said his had a metal Intake tube on his. I cant remember where i read this or what his username was. However, im thinking of doing a metal tube when i do my exhaust on mine. We will see, can anyone thing of a reason not to run a mandrel bent pipe? other then not taking the rattle of the engine all to well?

I see no issues with making a Metal intake other than you will still need a flexible hose to connect the metal intake to the turbo. It must have flex! As the engine moves within its engine mounts and the air box dose not.

I do however feel replacing with the OEM every 100+k is a much better idea.

NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
0 281 002 845 MAP

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next