It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tips for Mr Gasket lift pump installation
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi all,

I just purchased the mr gasket 12-d lift pump, and am hoping to install it tomorrow. I searched around but couldn't find much on this. I know where to splice it, and where to run the wires, but I am getting hung up on a few things.

My concerns are:
where is best to mount the pump?
I would also like to remove the plastic clips on the fuel lines, so how much of the old stuff do I need to remove, and what should I use in it's place?
Do I need special fittings to splice the fuel pump into the line?

Thanks

Upgraded Mopar Fuel Head
215/85/16 Toyo M-55's

Post subject: Re: Tips for Mr Gasket lift pump installation
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You can mount it under the Jeep back toward the fuel tank like this http://liberty.eurekaboy.com/kennedy.htm or you can mount it in the engine compartment like this viewtopic.php?t=24527. Both seem to work according to forum chat but I do not know from personal experience. I do have a Facet 40109 for a future install and will likely use the engine compartment mount as the easy install and if it works there just leave it. If the Mr. Gasket is like the Facet you will need to drop by a local hardware/plumbing supply and get a couple of 3/8" barb X 3/8" MIP hose barb adapters and enough stainless steel worm clamps to attach fuel hose to the pump. I'm not too fond of using teflon tape near fuel so I'd recommend Permatex #2 form a gasket or equivalent on the threads of the hose bard adapters.

If your reference to plastic clips on the fuel lines is to the quick disconnect fittings, it is my understanding there are 1 or 2 located above the fuel tank. There may be more on the fuel line but those would be easy to spot by simply tracing the line. I'm not planning to remove mine unless I have problems but removal is a simple matter of cutting them out of the line and replacing with fuel hose and worm clamps EXCEPT that you apparently have to drop the fuel tank to get to the top fittings. That's not too hard just run most of the fuel out of the tank before attempting to drop and be careful when droping to disconnect any power lines and such that may hang up as the tank comes down. Others may have words of wisdom from experience on this topic and I suspect a floor jack with a piece of wood between it and the tank would be a big help in a controlled lowering of the tank.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:15 pm 
LOST Member

If you're going to drop the fuel tank, just install an in tank lift pump and don't worry about the plastic pressure fittings.

OME lift+JBA UCA's, custom front hitch receiver, Mile Marker winch
All J Products rear cargo shelf
Sips biodiesel as if it were 12 y/o Scotch

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I am in the process of installing a Facet and found out the hoses sticking out from the tank are plastic. There is no way I would hook up 3/8 fuel lines to these flimsy conduits, so I postponed until this weekend. Dropping the tank and replacing both plastic hoses is a sound choice, plus the added benefit of getting rid of the couplings to the metal hoses, prone to failure by letting air in (or fuel out!)...