It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: overheating
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

papaindigo wrote:
I hate to rain, sorrry, on that long shot idea but it applies to the gas engine not the CRD as the CRD water pump is driven off the timing belt not the serp. belt. I don't think that error is possible with a functional timing belt install.

Really long!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Replaced the clutch and swapped the fan with 3.7 nylon fan.

First thing I noticed was the mechanical fan was actually blowing air - until it warmed up, like its supposed too. I haven't heard that sound in a couple of years. Might test the old one, but I'm pretty sure its toast.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:32 pm 
LOST Addict

Did you install a Hayden?

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yes, model number 2905.

This is the one Hayden lists for the 2.8 CRD in their application guide.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:52 pm 
LOST Addict

That's the one I have on the shelf to install when I do the timing belt service. What was the thinking regarding replacing the steel fan with a plastic 3.7 one?

Thanks,

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think that started with Ranger1 - he has an 02 V6 with the 11 bladed fan and a 05 CRD - he noted the 11 blades move a lot more air. So when RetMil decided to upgrade - he suggested the 11 blade...... (story's somewhere over on KJcountry)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:19 am 
LOST Addict

FOLLOWING...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:12 am 
LOST Newbie

DOC4444 wrote:
That's the one I have on the shelf to install when I do the timing belt service. What was the thinking regarding replacing the steel fan with a plastic 3.7 one?

Thanks,

DOC

The 11 blade plastic fan from the 3.7 blows more air than the OEM 5 blade steel fan...For this reason it was fitted as standard for better cooling to all CRD KJ's exported to Australia, because of their exceptionally hot summers and hot, arid desert climate in the outback.
I swapped the OEM CRD clutch off my old metal fan onto my plastic one. With the CRD clutch on it, the 11 blade plastic fan weighs 500g less than the metal one with the same clutch. The 3.7 clutch is noticeably, smaller and probably lighter, but I swapped it anyway figuring a CRD clutch would suit the CRD engine better than one for the 3.7. And I can always change it back. A lighter fan reduces inertia loading on your serp belt, and that claws back a little bit of the extra HP you lose for swapping to the more powerful 11 blade.
You can really feel the difference in airflow under the bonnet at tickover, but surprisingly it's also quieter than the old metal fan, especially on the road.
But the 11 blade was not my first choice...The 7 blade plastic fan out the KK was my first choice, as it would have both saved some HP and been lighter still, but a used 7 blade KK fan was more than twice the price of a used 11 blade KJ fan, so I got what I could afford.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:55 pm 

FYI
Lots of very good information on going to the 11 blade GM fan and heavy duty V8 fan clutch in great detail on this thread:

> GM Radiator Fan - What I discovered of interest to alll

It is much cheaper and more efficient with the HD V8 GM fan clutch than the 3.7 Mopar fan and is a direct replacement and can be bought at NAPA or online. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve