It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Codes, codes, and more codes.....
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Glad to here you got it running. :BANANA:

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:39 pm 
LOST Member

Well, she is running and driving but still not quite back to normal. I again have the MIL on and the codes I got where the P0299 and the P0069. I did clean the MAP sensor last year when I did the EHM and the ORM. I am going to check and see how clean the MAP sensor looks and if it is clean I will be checking my intercooler for a possible leak. If no leak is found I will then check the MAP sensor to see if it is functioning correctly prior to dropping the $80-$90 on a new one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Before you start digging into your intercooler if you have not already pulled your turbo>intercooler and intercooler>engine hoses, as I previously suggested, you need to pull them and check for leaks. Intercooler leaks are possible and documented but the much much more common leak is in the bottom of one or both of the stock hoses.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:13 pm 
LOST Member

I have removed both hoses and inspected them thoroughly and could not see any cracks, splits, checks, or holes. I thought I had already mentioned that I removed and inspected the hoses....my bad. I only have 28,888 miles on the jeeps and it only saw 19,500 miles without the EHM so I thought they would be in good shape, and they were.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:23 pm 
LOST Member

The jeep is running but definitely underboosting evident by both the P0069 code along with the loss of power. I had the intercooler pressure tested and there are no leaks and the boost hoses are in fine shape.

I know that the turbo is spooling up due to the expanding of the hose going to the intercooler when I rev the engine. I've been thinking about the issue and it was seeming like a mechanical issue, and I believe that I now know what it is.

I found this thread http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=60485&hilit=flow+control+valve in which tony posted a picture of the FCV and the butterfly valve opens much more than mine does so I believe that mine is malfunctioning. I could not open it fully by hand when I had the CAC hose off. I am going to remove it and see what is preventing it from opening and then possibly unplugging the electrical connection if the FCV is bad (I already run the ORM). Hopefully this solves the seemingly unending saga of terrible performance.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:19 pm 
LOST Member

Alright....I definitely found the problem.

Back in an earlier post I said I moved the EGR valve by hand and it only moved about 5 to 10 degrees....I was actually moving the FCV AKA EGR air flow valve. I removed the FCV and opened up the little side cover to find that sure enough I had a few broken teeth on the plastic gears. I will have to post up pictures later but the broken teeth were causing the FCV to be stuck almost shut therefore not allowing any boost into the intake. I read that others like Sir Sam have unplugged the wires to theirs and have driven with the MIL for many miles without any trouble. I decided to take a slightly different approach.

The butterfly valve is held onto the rotating rod with two hex key screws so I loosened the screws and removed the restrictor plate. I did not put the screws back in to eliminate any chance they would loosen up and head downwind. I am not sure if removing the restrictor plate give the jeep any more power, but it feels awesome! I finally have that seat of your pants push again! :BANANA:

Later down the road after a GDE Full torque Eco Tune I may decide to replace the FCV but for now I am going to leave it and see how it runs. Thanks again all for your help it is nice to finally have acting like herself again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cool, :BANANA:

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Excellent News :pepper:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:09 pm 
LOST Member

what is the correct procedure for pulling codes? Do you get the codes that turn on the brake warning light too? I have spent the last hr searching this, and either my searchfoo is off, or it is hiding in plain sight..

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:56 am 
LOST Junkie

dieseldoesit wrote:
what is the correct procedure for pulling codes? Do you get the codes that turn on the brake warning light too? I have spent the last hr searching this, and either my searchfoo is off, or it is hiding in plain sight..

You can pull the codes using the ignition switch but only on models up to about 2005.

Turn ignition ON but do not start.
Turn OFF and ON rapidly...without starting.
Repeat until you have turned it ON for the fourth time and leave it ON.

The odometer display cycles from the oldest codes to the newest one...this procedure sometimes takes a few attempts to work but it should work....I checked some code a few days ago on my 2002 CRD.

Note the following as regards the codes extracted in this manner:
There have been quite a few posts where it has been pointed out that this method often transposes the last two digits around ie. a code of " P0685" might actualy mean code "P0658"
The ECM seems to only record a certain code once...so if six months ago you got a code of P0836 followed by codes P0130, P0645 for example....and now six months later you get a CEL that should once again post a P0836....it does not do so as it has already got that code in its memory...at least this is how it seems to me to work.
You cannot erase the codes this way but it seems to me that my older codes seem to eventually dissapear by themselves or they get ovewritten by newer codes. :?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:30 pm 
LOST Member

I was able to check my codes once using the speedy on/off switching of the key, but was unable to do it any of the subsequent times that I attempted it. I just went to my local autozone which offers to pull trouble codes for free. I made my rounds to many different ones because I also asked on many occasions for them to erase the codes (which they aren't really supposed to do, you just have to ask in the correct manner).