It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diesel Nissan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:33 pm 
LOST Member

Interesting that this is the same displacement of our VM engines in such a heavier vehicle.
I do hope that this isn't another quickly thrown together idea such as mating an existing trans with a high torque diesel, torque converter issues etc. :roll:
Also, engineer the front end suspension accordingly, please learn from the mistakes of Chrysler and put some heavy duty springs, shocks, and spec out some heavier duty ball joints.
Would love to Nissan eventually produces this, just hope their idea of training their mechanics is some actual hands on work instead of watching a DVD and taping a printed out certificate to one's tool box.
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/05/cu ... titan.html

Skid Row Engine and Fuel Tank Skid Plates, straight pipe, modified air box, Tow Hooks, 245/70/16 Hankook ATM RF10s, Kennedy Lift Pump,Home Made Provent, Husky Liners throughout, Wet Okole seat covers, All J Products Rear Storage Shelf, Fumoto, Frozen Rotors-Cross Drilled and Slotted, and Bilsteins all around

Post subject: Re: Diesel Nissan
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:47 pm 
LOST Addict

That's interesting, nissan has lots of good diesel engines made in house that would seem to be capable of this sort of application.

A titan with a UD engine could be pretty sweet.

At least in frontier/pathfinder applications the ZD30 would be a good choice.

And of course I can only lament the fact that the solid axle diesel engined patrol is not sold in the US. :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:41 pm 
LOST Addict

I think its cool that someone is working on this. Cummins is a good company and so is Nissan. I would think that they could come up with a good product that hopefully will catch on. I think diesel in heavier vehicles just makes sence for the fuel economy you can get with them.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:43 pm 
LOST Member

I love the clatter of a cummins in the morning!!!

Looks like Nissan is looking for Cummins to do the same thing for their pickup that they did for the Ram!

Quality engine in a quality wrapper!!!!
WaaaHoooo!!!!

Yes I'm old enough to know better :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The tundra is a joke,weak frame and weaker rear diff. :-)r :-)r :-)r

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:55 pm 
LOST Member

That's Toyota, this is a Nissan Titan

Skid Row Engine and Fuel Tank Skid Plates, straight pipe, modified air box, Tow Hooks, 245/70/16 Hankook ATM RF10s, Kennedy Lift Pump,Home Made Provent, Husky Liners throughout, Wet Okole seat covers, All J Products Rear Storage Shelf, Fumoto, Frozen Rotors-Cross Drilled and Slotted, and Bilsteins all around

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

NJCRD wrote:
That's Toyota, this is a Nissan Titan

Same thing goes for them also.When working on either one there is not much difference between the 2 under the skin.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:20 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Please don't feed the troll.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PUT THE darn THING IN A WRANGLER! darn IT.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:18 am 
LOST Addict

Nissan has been making diesel engines for the better part of 30 years in the rest of the world. I would love to own a Patrol with a I6D or a Primera with a 1.8D here in the US. Hell I would love to own a Audi R8 TDI available in Europe.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:07 pm 
LOST Member

Nissan is not new to small diesel engines. International Traveler (halfway between Travelall and Scout) had Nissan diesels for a couple years way back when their products were branded Datsun. It must have been mid to late 70's.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:06 pm 
LOST Member

OK, they're not new yet they're working with Cummins...
Chrysler wasn't new to diesels either and look at our debacle. I hope that Nissan gets it right for the US.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

NJCRD wrote:
Chrysler wasn't new to diesels either and look at our debacle. I hope that Nissan gets it right for the US.

Doubt it as they can't understand how to make a relay that will last.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:15 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
NJCRD wrote:

Doubt it as they can't understand how to make a relay that will last.

Some times you just seem so negitive to me

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:54 pm 
LOST Member

Am I the only one here that thinks it's strange that US taxpayer dollars are going to develop an engine to be put in a Japanese pickup?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Not especially. Cummins is a US company so if they sell engines it helps the US economy. Now the question I'd be asking is did that tax money come with any strings that require a successful product to be sold in the US at least in XXX quantity. I'd be happy if Cummns makes money but I'd be less happy if we are helping the partnership create a product with one hand and preventing it being sold in the US with the other.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:02 pm 
LOST Addict

papaindigo wrote:
Not especially. Cummins is a US company so if they sell engines it helps the US economy. Now the question I'd be asking is did that tax money come with any strings that require a successful product to be sold in the US at least in XXX quantity. I'd be happy if Cummns makes money but I'd be less happy if we are helping the partnership create a product with one hand and preventing it being sold in the US with the other.

Nice Post I have to agree. if tax $$$ is helping then the product should be sold here and not made unmarketable here by some other part of our lovely govenment.