It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Green Diesel - customer issues
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:28 pm 
LOST Addict

We just wanted to check in to see if anyone running a Green Diesel tune is having vehicle issues? Many customers we never hear from again, hopefully this means no problems. We can also provide advice for general vehicle problems/concerns.

Also, make sure to contact us if updating to the metallic glow plugs and we can coordinate the (required) ECM reflash.

Post subject: Re: Green Diesel - customer issues
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I was one of your first customers and I have had no issues with either my ECU or TCM tune - I love them both. Now that I have an upgraded torque converter, I was planning on getting a Hot tune and the timing belt tools from you guys this summer or early fall. You have my repeat business for sure - and a sticker on my Jeep. (Do I get a discount for advertising. . . . ?) :lol:

2006 Deep Beryl Green CRD Sport *SOLD 1/22/12*
Provent, V6 Airbox, Fumoto, Samcos, GDE ECO & TCM Tune, Euro JK TC, Magnaflow Catback
245/70/16 Destination A/T's
Boiler's Radiator Skid Plate
Jeepin' By Al 2.5 inch Adjust-A-Strut Lift, JBA Gen 4.5 UCA's (6/5/10)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No issues with the EcoTune or the TCM tune on a stock torque converter. One oddity that may or may not be related to the tune; the fuel gauge is much more linear but occasionally for no apparent reason it gets moody when I fill up. When it gets in the mood the gauge drops like a rock to like 3/4 full in 10-20 miles but then it will get out of the mood and jump back to full+ and behave normally. Never happens except immediately after a full fill-up and then only rarely. Wonderful products; I'm consistently getting 20% better fuel economy than pre-EcoTune; I like the shift and lockup points on the TCM tune but now that I'm retired I'm not doing a regular commute to know if it would help with that.

A friend just purchased a 2005 CRD Limited and will be getting the tune(s). I'll drop you a PM or email soon about how to handle his ECM tune with the scan tool I bought a while back.

PS with recent tune update (not for glow plugs) the EVIC, mine at least, is reasonably accurate. If I zero it when I fill-up and leave it alone at the next fill-up the EVIC mpg is typically about 1-1.5 mpg compared to hand calculated GPS corrected. Prior to the latest tune EVIC mpg was fantasy not even science fiction.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

Last edited by papaindigo on Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

Easily the best money I've spent on this machine.
If I have an observation, it's that the EVIC is still quite a joke, off by as much as 20% at times.
Otherwise, this thing runs amazingly well. I can't recommend it highly enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

About 4,000 miles and one off-road trip with no issues whatsoever. I had a question regarding the pulsing idle when cold, but you answered that very thoroughly in another thread. My only real “complaint” would be that I’d like to see just a tiny bit less coasting (and a tiny bit more engine braking) when off-throttle… but I understand that’s a personal preference and you have to meet somewhere in the middle to satisfy all customers. :)

I’m a very happy customer!

2005 KJ CRD
GDE Eco tune | Ram/Cummins lift pump | Samco IC hoses
OME lift | Treadwright Warden 265/75R16 | front & rear hitches | Mopar skids
Uniden Pro 520XL | GlowShift boost gauge| WeatherTech mats | some other funny business

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No problems here :BANANA:
I'm a happy camper with my Euro TC and full torque Eco tune towing my 3000# + camper and have gotten 20 mpg while towing driving the speed limit :BINGO:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Still happy with the Hot Flash and Tranny Flash.
Runs great!
Wish you were closer, in PA awaiting my timing belt change.

'06 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD with: GDE Hot Flash and Tranny Flash, ehm, Cummins fuel pump, 3" Magnaflow muff, Moog K3199's, Skids, 225-75-16 10 ply, OME springs, Euro T/C, Shift kit, Trans cooler w/thermal bypass, Bigboy bkt, Samco CAC, Brake controller, Trans temp gauge, Al's Upper Arms

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:53 pm 
LOST Addict

I have only had one issue that concerned me, which was a tendancy to over fuel (and overheat) in very hot conditions when towing my relatively lightweight camper trailer. I'm talking about temps near 100F, AC on of course, and trying to maintain speed limit (60mph) towing my camper in rising terrain in 5th gear. I run a B&M auxiliary transmission cooler as well. By watching my gauges (EGT, Trans Temp, and Boost) I was able to see the overfueling driving up the EGT (getting close to 1200F) and of course this quickly translated into a rise in the engine temperature as the heat could not be shed at that external temperature. The transmission temperature was also rising due to the hunting back and forth it was doing and its inability to shed heat in those conditions. I was still running the stock TCM at that time, but have since switched to the GDE TCM flash.

My solution at the time was: In order to hold some speed and get the temperatures under control, I found I had to drop back to 4th gear (locked up) and hold engine rpm in that gear range - this allowed EGT to drop back to around 900F, and engine coolant temp dropped back to normal or just at halfway mark.

In normal driving there are no real issues, but I do occasionally see what I regard as an overfueling event which in this hot climate can quickly translate into higher engine temperatures. I would recommend that anyone running the GDE Tune consider installing an EGT gauge, well really all CRD owners shoudl have them anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Happy as a clam with both the pre-release TCM tune and the early-release ECM tune... One of these days I need to either ship the ECM back for the update we've talked about, or just get the flash tool.

Can you answer this, can the flash tool do anything else besides read codes and flash? Can it update options in the system like tire calibrations or telling the BCM that I have an EVIC with TPMS functions, so that the EVIC actually DISPLAYS the tire pressures? It did it the first time it was powered up... Then never again.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Saving up for the Turbo........ :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

I now have 15,000 miles on the ECO tune and I love it. More power, better fuel mileage, and my oil is now much cleaner because of no egr. Thanks

Corvette
1962 Ford Falcon
2005 John Deere 5425
1968 1\2 ton 4x4 short bed Chevy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The ECU and TCM tunes work like a charm. Still getting 25-28mpg in town and 30+ on the highway. The EVIC is still pretty inaccurate, especially on long highway trips, and the fuel gauge still takes 80-100 miles to come off of "full," despite having the latest version of the tune (I think). But both of those are minor issues.

GDE Eco Tune, GDE TCM Tune, Bauer 203* Tstat, Amsoil EaA 201 Filter, Clean MAP, Samco CAC Hoses, Magnaflow Muffler #12226.
New Mopar Fuel Filter, K&N Filterminder, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
225/75R16 Hankook Dynapros

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:11 pm 
LOST Addict

geordi wrote:
Happy as a clam with both the pre-release TCM tune and the early-release ECM tune... One of these days I need to either ship the ECM back for the update we've talked about, or just get the flash tool.

Can you answer this, can the flash tool do anything else besides read codes and flash? Can it update options in the system like tire calibrations or telling the BCM that I have an EVIC with TPMS functions, so that the EVIC actually DISPLAYS the tire pressures? It did it the first time it was powered up... Then never again.

I would also like to know if your flash programmer will update the BCM as well, it would be nice to be able to change revs/mile and foglights with highbeams etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Sir Sam wrote:
geordi wrote:

I would also like to know if your flash programmer will update the BCM as well, it would be nice to be able to change revs/mile and foglights with highbeams etc.

No, it only communicates with the engine controller. A DRB is the only tool we are aware of that can work with BCM, ABS, TCM, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:33 pm 
LOST Addict

Glend wrote:
I have only had one issue that concerned me, which was a tendancy to over fuel (and overheat) in very hot conditions when towing my relatively lightweight camper trailer. I'm talking about temps near 100F, AC on of course, and trying to maintain speed limit (60mph) towing my camper in rising terrain in 5th gear. I run a B&M auxiliary transmission cooler as well. By watching my gauges (EGT, Trans Temp, and Boost) I was able to see the overfueling driving up the EGT (getting close to 1200F) and of course this quickly translated into a rise in the engine temperature as the heat could not be shed at that external temperature. The transmission temperature was also rising due to the hunting back and forth it was doing and its inability to shed heat in those conditions. I was still running the stock TCM at that time, but have since switched to the GDE TCM flash.

My solution at the time was: In order to hold some speed and get the temperatures under control, I found I had to drop back to 4th gear (locked up) and hold engine rpm in that gear range - this allowed EGT to drop back to around 900F, and engine coolant temp dropped back to normal or just at halfway mark.

In normal driving there are no real issues, but I do occasionally see what I regard as an overfueling event which in this hot climate can quickly translate into higher engine temperatures. I would recommend that anyone running the GDE Tune consider installing an EGT gauge, well really all CRD owners shoudl have them anyway.

Glen, you are running low engine rpm in that situation, high ambient temp limits boost output and the coolant flowrate is marginal. The ECO tune should limit peak exhaust temps to 1200 F measured 15cm downstream of turbo. It would be interesting to compare the temp data ECO vs. stock vs. vehicle speed. Best option is 4th gear to have increased rpm and run at a more thermally efficient range. When you notice 'overfueling' is there a lot of smoke exiting the tailpipe?

You might like our new "towing TCM" tune that incorporates 4th gear lockup from 46-70mph. Above 70 you get 5th lockup and it will hold gear back down to 53mph. I will be shipping a few that way soon. By the way, great TCM swap explanation. It does not look like a small task.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Over all I am happy with mine too. I have had it since last September. The whole deal was easy. Great support, I was getting some odd codes on the flash tool after and you helped me sort that out, bus errors as I remember. The Jeep runs so much smoother, better power and fuel economy too. I plan to keep mine a long time so I will be renting the timing belt tools for whoever I get to do the belt from you and plan to get a turbo kit if I ever need a new turbo. I would like to try the hot or full torque eco if I ever change out my TC.

I would recomend the tune to anyone.

I see that you have broadened out what you offer tunes for now. even if we don't get those vehicles here I am glad to see you are doing more to stay in business for us and other diesel owners.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:05 am 
LOST Addict

GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
No, it only communicates with the engine controller. A DRB is the only tool we are aware of that can work with BCM, ABS, TCM, etc.

Dang I am disappointed to hear that.

I've been trying to find a reasonably priced DRBIII for awhile, but keep missing out on the good deals you do find.

To further complicate things a DRBIII is needed for 2005, and a starscan or Witech for a 06+........

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:11 am 
LOST Member

No complaints here. Everything is running smooth. Love the now accurate fuel gauge. Although can't say much for my EVIC. Only thing that reads correct is compass and trip. Everthing else says "2 MPG" or "40 miles to empty". It's been worthless since I installed it way before the tune.

96 Ford F350 4x4

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:40 pm 
LOST Member

We have put about 13K miles on the tunes and TCM with no real issues. My wife would like to see the transmission downshift a little sooner when climbing steep hills, but I think that is just a matter of driving style. I followed her in it yesterday; each time she took off (uphill) the Libby would belch a bit of black smoke that cleared up quickly. She is a bit aggressive with the throttle. I don't dare load the hot tune for her!

Would still like to see what you can do for the TDI, but I'm not sure how to send you the stock tune without messing up the CRD stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:44 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
A woman who likes a diesel and knows how to drive it... Ya got a good'un there!

You just don't want to give her the hot tune, b/c you won't ever be able to catch up... To her or the diesel bills! :-)r

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.