It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 06 crd won't always crank when the key is turned
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:38 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

geordi wrote:
, just get a comparable size (dimensions) battery from Costco (I think we are group 34R... maybe) in as high an amp output as possible. I stuffed an 850CCA battery into mine, I think that battery would start a 3-day-old dead body. I use my CRD on film sets to run a big inverter, sometimes without the engine running. Even after drawing power for hours, the CRD has never failed to start.

Love me some Costco battery, and the 36 month replacement is the best around. They might have even upped it to 48 month, I don't know. I've never gotten less than a 100% refund when the old ones die. I have them in all my engines.

Can you check and see which battery it is? I went to Costco and they would not sell me a battery identified for my CRD. hey would not install one and would not sell one (with warranty) for my used in a CRD.
Maybe I can just buy one by specs and not tell them what it is used on, is that what you do?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:38 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Lots of folks, myself included, have had this problem with idiot battery vendors, including ones who should know better. Many if not most places simply look in the "book" and will tell you only the "special" Jeep OEM battery will do or that the CRD is not listed so they don't have or won't mount a battery. That's a joke at best and a lie at worst. If you install a Group 34 battery with good CCA and cables fit it will work just fine. As to warranty; battery life doesn't really relate to what engine it's attached to as long as cranking demand doesn't exceed the CCA rating and the battery charging system is sufficient. However, extra heat and engine vibration can be bad for battery life hence a heat resistent and vibration resistent battery is ideal. So stay away from cheaper group 34 batteries with a low CCA rating, go for 800 CCA+. In addition you need to pay attention to whether or not the existing battery cables will reach the posts. As I recall ideally that means a Group 34R battery with reversed +/- posts. A regular Group 34 will usually work if you mount it backwards (+ post toward driver's fender). There is plenty of play in the + cable but the - cable is a rather tight fit on a reversed battery and may not work in all cases.

I personally installed the Sears Platinum P-1 Group 34 battery minus the Red Top's insulation blanket, at bit pricey but with an excellent warranty. Fit just fine although the "-" cable had to be bent slightly to fit ok.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:43 am 
LOST Newbie

so in theory, next time it won't start a jump should get it enough power to start?

1 Diesel Liberty and 2 and a half Comanches

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Possibly but only if your jumping from a vehicle with battery power equal to or greater than what a good CRD battery would provide. I had dead battery problems with a Dodge Cummins and tried jumping from a "lesser" battery vehicle with no joy; replaced Cummins battery and problem went away.

That said I still thing the current battery needs load testing, as mentioned earlier, if that has not been done.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Pete M wrote:
so in theory, next time it won't start a jump should get it enough power to start?

No.

one of the issues with all Jeeps is that you're turning on the Computer first before you turn on the engine - if the battery doesn't have the voltage to turn on the computer - it won't run - even if it has enough current to crank the engine. that's why you need a load test of the battery - if the voltage drops low - the computer will turn off and so will the engine.

and one caveat about more is better on CCA - it's not always better - the way to get more Amps out of the same size battery - it to increase the surface area of the plates - the way they increase the surface are is to put in a lot of thinner plates - thinner plates will die before thicker plates.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:42 am 
LOST Newbie

brand new battery installed. starts more often, but still has some no-start occurrences. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

dad said he had some success smacking the starter. but still not 100 percent. he's currently cleaning up the cables, but will likely be taking the starter to autozone this afternoon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

starter checked out as good and I talked dad through jumping the starter directly so the jeep will run. he's on his way to the dealership so they can look at this (and his apparently faulty ABS computer).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

dealership says it's a broken rod in the steering column and that it (or course) isn't fixable short of replacing the entire steering column to the tune of 600 bucks.

thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:54 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That's a new one on me. The only "rods" I've ever heard of and/or seen in a steering column date back to linkage driven manual gearshifts on the steering column (no comments on how that dates me please). Our steering columns have the mult-function light lever on the left and the wiper/washer lever on the right both of which are wired thru a "clock" spring and have nothing to do with the starting circuit; lots of other wires (one of which could be problematic but repair does not require column replacement); the mechanical part of the ignition switch but that's a replaceable part independent of the steering column; etc. The closest thing to a "rod" would be the column itself and they don't break short of a major wreck.

If this response from the dealer was, pardon me, filtered thru you dad to you then you may want to call the dealer for a more specific explanation cause this makes no sense to me to the point of I'd be talking to the service manager and the mechanic directly if the ticket writer told me this was the cause of the problem.

Any other thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Success! sorta. dad went back to the dealership for an explanation and was showed exactly what was broken. it's the little bar that goes between the 2 boxes in the column. the key is supposed to turn the bar and the bar is broken. the dealership claims the bar isn't replaceable and the only fix is replacing the entire column. phooey on that. I think I've convinced my father to go get a junkyard column and take it apart to see if he can get at the little bar. if he can, then he'll take apart his jeep and try a swap.

Post subject: Re: 06 crd won't always crank.... problem found!
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:09 am 
LOST Newbie

Yep, I'd be trying to make a part in that situation.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:43 am 
LOST Junkie

You can buy that individual part....I have seen many posts regarding this broken part....if not on this Forum then on some of the other Jeep forums....do a search on "ignition switch" or "Ignition barrel assembly" I think.
Might even be in the non CRD section as this problem is not CRD specific. :?

Edit to add: The answer is right here in your own topic....go to Page 1 and see "wobblys" reply...he gives you the part number in fact. :BANANA:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:37 am 
LOST Newbie

d'oh! you're right. :banghead: I guess at the time I didn't realize what he was talking about.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks Billwill you beat me too it. I pulled the plastic covers off that area and took a look at things and was just about to suggest a new switch assembly and, if need be, fabrication of a rod from a piece of bar or round stock from a hardware store or just let a decent locksmith shop do it all. I won't comment on the dealer suggestion other than I'd bet that dealer's suggestion to a broken key is get a new car, sigh.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

Napa sells the replacement part too. BK 6201414. Part is by Balkamp. My local Napa did not have one in stock, so I went to a junk yard and this part is universal in a lot of Mopar applications. The one that is currently in my Jeep is from a Dodge Stratus. My key got very sloppy and would not go into the ACC position. Have the replacement in hand before you remove the ignition switch. I had to start mine with a screw driver until I was able to go to the junkyard because the original fell apart when I took it out to see what was going on. Changing the part is quite simple, but I would recommend going to harbor freight and getting a security bit set for the torx bits with the hole in the center.

Craig

Michelin LTX2, Double Gauge Pod (Volt, Fuel Press)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here you go fellas ... step by step how to replace the broken actuator pin .... mash on the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SKQpbn9Zjo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

racertracer wrote:
Here you go fellas ... step by step how to replace the broken actuator pin .... mash on the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SKQpbn9Zjo

god I love the internet. :D thanks!! I'll pass that on to my dad.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:18 am 
LOST Newbie

Pete M wrote:
Success! sorta. dad went back to the dealership for an explanation and was showed exactly what was broken. it's the little bar that goes between the 2 boxes in the column. the key is supposed to turn the bar and the bar is broken. the dealership claims the bar isn't replaceable and the only fix is replacing the entire column. phooey on that. I think I've convinced my father to go get a junkyard column and take it apart to see if he can get at the little bar. if he can, then he'll take apart his jeep and try a swap.

I said that actuator pin is a problem on my post no. 4. But problem can be and a bad ignition switch. Same symptoms. So I will also recommend you to replace a switch when you disassemble everything, and new switch is only 25$.

Ignition starter switch ( AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 1S5932) and ignition switch actuator pin ( DORMAN Part # 924704 at http://www.rockauto.com - 50Us$ both)

I also had broken pin and I replaced it but problem did not went away. So then I change the switch also and now everything is OK.

'09 Jeep Patriot 2.0 CRD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:02 pm 
LOST Junkie

Pete M wrote:
dad says when it won't start, it doesn't even make a click noise. should it make a click noise if the starer is bad?

Mine didn't. New starter fixed it.

2005 CRD Limited Flame Red w/ Renegade rock rails & light bar, AirLift 1000. 225/75R16 MT/R's on cheap black steel wheels, dual MOPAR subwoofers, Ipod kit & seat covers, Samco hoses - totaled and gone. 2008 WK Laredo 3.0L diesel - AirLift 1000, wife won't let me mess with it much. 2013 JK Sahara on order.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next