It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Help need !!Broken glow plug ! What to do ?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:52 am 
LOST Junkie

You might find an independent diesel shop here. It's from the TDi Club, but it's possible that a VW independent shop would work on your CRD, especially if they could rent the special tools from GDE. You might also check for independent shops which work on the Sprinter.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 04&t=h&z=3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:43 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Alphred, what's the status?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:15 am 
LOST Newbie

Sorry for the delay.
I managed to find a mechanic who worked at a Chrysler dealer and now has its own garage. He managed to extract the broken GP, but the threads of the engine head are broken. So he installed a heli-coil. He told me that the tip was not in the cylinder !!! :BANANA:
He managed to remove three other GP without broken, but it was not easy.
He also inspected my turbo and everything is ok .... oufff

So now I have the new GP 5V kit . Yesterday I went to the dealer to flash the PCM.

At the dealer the mechanic said that I did not need to update because I had already and that the F37 was the last. He even plugged the module 5v, but had not put the key in it.
I have insisted that he go see his computer to the service bulletin ..... He finally found it! :banghead:

My experience will have cost about $ 1 500 can.

The only thing that worries me is that the temperature rises to 3 / 4 on the gauge. But go back to the 1/2 pretty quickly after reaching the 3 / 4. I think there is a connection with the use of heated area, but I'm still not 100% sure.

Thank !!

Water pump failure at 120 000 km

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Your temperature issue is odd. Normally I'd say it sounds like your thermostat is opening a bit late but the normal failure mode for the KJ CRD tstat is to open early so the engine never reaches operating temp. That said, unless someone has a better idea I'd consider replacing the tstat. It's an easy DYI project. If you need a writeup send me a PM or email.

Glad to hear you got the broken glow plug issue settled without having to dig into the engine.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:08 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks papaindigo,

What you mean by «odd» ?

My Tstat has already been changed last summer to 124 000km, along with the water pump and the timing belth.

Someone suggested to check the pressure of the liquid air conditioning ....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Odd because, given the normal failure mode of these tstats, if the tstat was the cause I would have expected the temp gauge to read cold not for it to spike to 3/4 of the range and then settle back. I don't know how many miles your new tstat has seen but I can say mine failed at a bit under 35,000 miles for whatever that's worth. On thing that can cause cooling systems to do odd things is a radiator cap that's no longer holding the correct pressure in the system so that may be worth checking.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Since you have an 05 and there were some with fan clutches that were not up to par and and if your temperatures are like we're having in the US I would suspect the fan clutch. There's a thread about using a Haydan 2509 fan clutch and a 11 blade fan from a gasser KJ with towing package.

Also possible is he might have drained the cooling system and it needs to have the air bled out of it :SOMBRERO:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Joe !
I will change the coolant cap for the new one.
How you bleed the air from the rad. ?

Yes at this time of the year we have Somme High temperature and a lot of humidity !!

I' living Saturday for 2 weeks the jeep will be full load and I will pull my 4x8 trailer and my atv. I hope the temp. Will not be a problem !!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:57 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The system should pretty much self bleed the air out in the normal driving cycle. However, you can help it a bit by minimizing the air that needs to be bleed. On a cold engine remove the radiator cap on the plastic reservoir; crack the valve on the top passenger side of the radiator (3rd picture down at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56486&hilit=citric); if fluid comes out close the valve; if no fluid comes out add fluid to the plastic reservoir until fluid comes out then close the valve; add a bit of extra fluid to the plastic tank (at least to a little bit above the "cold" mark which is the horizontal ridge on the outside of the tank); put the radiator cap back on. Make a few drive cycles to full operating temp, checking the fluid level after each full cool down and adding fluid as need be, about 3 cycles should purge all the air.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:47 am 
LOST Addict

Whenever there is a quick rise in temperature then a drop it indicates a flow problem due to air or clogged radiator. Try bleeding first and if that don't cure it have the radiator flow tested. I seen good fan clutches replaced because the center of the radiator stayed cool from clog.

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:26 pm 
LOST Junkie

My way was even simpler. I let the dealership take care of it and drove their rental for a month and a half. I ended up with a new long block, turbo, and injectors.

2005 CRD Limited Flame Red w/ Renegade rock rails & light bar, AirLift 1000. 225/75R16 MT/R's on cheap black steel wheels, dual MOPAR subwoofers, Ipod kit & seat covers, Samco hoses - totaled and gone. 2008 WK Laredo 3.0L diesel - AirLift 1000, wife won't let me mess with it much. 2013 JK Sahara on order.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:24 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello,

I apologize for my lack on the forum, my life purpose has-been hectic in recent months.

As you know if you read my topic, I have the new glow plug kit 5V Metallic. I live in Quebec, Canada. This winter we were lucky, the cold has been delayed. 17-12-2011 Last night, he was-14C. I start the CRD on the remote starter. After 2 minutes, I notice that the engine is not running. I leave the house and remotely reboot the CRD. It still does not start, it gives the impression of wanting to start, but immediately died. It is smoke and make a lot of noise.

I jumped in the Jeep and made ​​him do two heating cycles of GP manually. Same result.
I made ​​him 3 cycles heating GP manually and it starts. It makes a lot of noise, but stabilizes quickly. 5 minutes after it runs very smooth.

This morning at home, the CRD was plug. He start, verry easy, from the remote starter !

Do I live the same problem as the recall of VW?
My remote starter has not been rescheduled since the change of GP of 7V to 5V, is that it can be the cause?

I'll try to see what recourse I have with Chrysler Canada, but I expect nothing from them ... :furious:

what a waste of money ... the temperature this winter, will reach-30C, we will do what??
Good thing my girlfriend took a heated indoor parking at work.

What you think about it ?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

alphred,

I hate to ask but, can you write your question in French so that we can use Bing translator to decipher your issue?

No offense.

Your doing great though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Non problems, I already use Google translate to help me :-)

So here the french version...

Comme vous le savez si vous avez lu mon topic, j'ai le nouveau kit de glow plug 5V métalique. Je vis à Québec. Cette hiver nous avons été chanceux, le froid à été retardé. Hier soir 17-12-2011, il a fait -14C. Je démarre le CRD sur le démarreur à distance. Après 2 min, je m'apercois, que le moteur ne tourne pas . Je sors de la maison et redémarre à distance le CRD. Il ne démarre toujours pas, il donne l'impression de vouloir démarrer, mais étouffe tout de suite. Il fait de la fumée et un bruit d'enfer.

Je saute dans le Jeep et lui fait faire 2 cycles de chauffage de GP manuellement (avec la clé). Même résultat.
Je lui fait 3 cycles de chauffage de GP manuellement et là il démarre. Il fait un bruit d'enfer, mais il se stabilise rapidement. 5 minutes après il tourne très doux.

Ce matin le CRD à été branché toute la nuit, et il part facilement avec le démarreur à distance

Est-ce que je vie le même problème que sur le rappelle des VW ??
Mon démarreur à distance n'a pas été reprogrammé depuis le changement des GP de 7V à 5V, est-ce que ca peut être la cause ?

Je vais essayer de voir quelle recours j'ai avec CHrysler canada, mais je m'attend à rien de leur part...grrrrr

Quel gaspillage d'argent... les températures cette hivers, vont atteindre -30C, nous allons faire quoi ???
Une chance que ma blonde à pris un stationnement intérieur chauffé au travail.

Vous en pensez quoi ?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

-14C = 7F which is certainly cold but not extremely so. If I am following this correctly the vehicle started ok when the block heater was left plugged in overnight but did not start ok, with the 5v glow plugs, when the block heater was not plugged in. In the latter event it took several manual key on/off cycles, what you refer to as manually cycling the glow plugs, before it would start and when it did so the engine was really rough for the first few minutes. More or less correct?

Obviously at least part of the solution is to leave the block heater plugged it whenever possible. However, if I understand our glow plug function correctly they are "fast" plugs and heat up almost instantly and are computer controlled to run as long as needed. If that's true then manual cycling the key on/off won't make the glow plugs hotter or run longer. I may be way out on a limb past my level of expertise but I wonder if whomever installed your 5v glow plugs "forgot" to flash the ECU to deliver the correct voltage. If not those fancy new glow plugs are likely burned out. I ask because 1) several folks have had real problems getting the dealer to do the ECU flash and 2) what you describe sounds sort of like a cold start with no glow plug function (NOTE use of the block heater reduces the need for glow plug function and may mask bad glow plugs).

I'm sure others will comment if I'm off base but this is the best thought I can offer.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Pap, you may have hit the nail on the head.

When the dealer updated my glow plugs to the new version, the service manager informed me that I didn't need a flash update, that I already had the latest.

The service manager was wrong, I got the flash update from GDE instead and all is fine with the Glow plugs, so far so good 17 deg this morning and she started right up

Alphred, you need to check with the dealer to see if they flashed your ECU.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

Pap, You understand the situation.

Racer, my dealer told me the same story, for the flash.
He was upset that a non professional, know something that he didn't know. Hahahha
He finally found the info. In is computer.

So I can guarantee you both that my crd have the right update for the 5v GP.
By the way the dealer said it is not a flash, but just a update. It took half a hour to do it.

This morning I called the mechanic who changed the GP and he thinks I need to change the programming of my remote starter. If the new GP are fast GP, the remote starter should not wait too long before starting the CRD. Currently the remote starter leaves more than 30 seconds before starting the CRD.

Patmaz think also that can be that:
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=59640&start=0

So I'll start with that.

I will also let the CRD not plug for a cold night and I will start it manually.
I'll wait until the GP light goes out and I'll turn the key without delay.

I realy hope that the new 5V GP are not scrap !!

:5SHOTS: