It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Metal CRD Fan vs. Plastic KJ Gas Fan
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:14 pm 
LOST Addict

I know that several people have replaced their OEM CRD fan with a plastic KJ gas fan in the interest of gaining additional cooling capacity. I was speaking with Keith of GDE recently and he indicated the following:

"The stock metal fan on the KJ pulls more air than the plastic V6 fan when the viscous clutch is locked. During development, Jeep started with the plastic fan, but it would not pull enough air to cool the CRD when towing up Davis Dam with a 5000lb trailer at 100F. This was the reason for the metal fan."

When I do my timing belt servce and install a Hayden fan clutch, I plan to add the plastic KJ fan to improve mileage when NOT towing. I don't plan to pull 5000 lbs up a mountain at 100 degrees F, so I think I can tolerate a little loss in air volume. Also, the Hayden engages much earlier than the stock fan clutch and likely will control the temp before it gets too high.

Our '99 diesel Suburban could not recover with the OEM fan clutch when towing in hot weather. Adding a Hayden that kicked in at a much lower temp got "ahead" of the temp rise and kept everything under control. The stock clutch cut in too late and the computer defueled to the point that you ended up going 20MPH up interstate highway hills.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

Post subject: Re: Metal CRD Fan vs. Plastic KJ Gas Fan
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Let me see, the Bean Counter Engineered fan clutch with the plastic fan would not move as much air as the steel fan with the Bean Counter Engineered fan clutch. Further more the first fan clutches used on the '05s were worse than the '06 fan clutches as have been reported by several members. I would have to assume since I was not there, that Chrysler used the Bean Counter Engineered fan clutch in their development. Can someone verify my assumption?

Had they put their jar of ISO Approved serial numbered etched beans into the drawer which they use for counting when they designed the cooling fan/fan clutch assembly and, instead used the Hayden Heavy severe duty fan clutch, they would have gotten it right the first time.
According to the observations in this post on KJ, the plastic fan with the Hayden Severe duty fan clutch moves more air than the stock setup, having done so myself, I must agree. http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48653

If the metal fan moves more air with the '05 fan clutch that turned out to be junk compared with the '06 fan clutch, does anyone even care? :ROTFL:

Did the metal blades conduct more heat into the fan clutch to get it to turn on sooner? :ROTFL:

For anyone who does care, they should mount manometers in front of the grill and in the engine compartment to check the differential pressure going up the mountain in 100F heat pulling 5000# load. Do the test under the same conditions with both the '05 fan clutch and metal fan Vs the Hayden severe duty fan clutch and plastic fan. Of course post the results for all of us to see.

I would bet the Hayden severe duty with the plastic fan will do better and the engine temp will be cooler. Use the Hayden severe duty clutch and plastic fan, you have the best of both.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

warp2diesel, I do enjoy, no sarcasm intended or implied, your posts but would put a slightly different spin, sorry, on this. IMHO, setting aside the durability issue with respect to the OEM fan clutch, the heat rise problem is not related all that much to how much air the 2 different fans move. Absent data I'm inclined to believe GDE that the nylon fan moves less but I'm not sure it matters. What matters is when in the heat cycle the fan clutch engages. As I understand it the OEM clutch engages fairly high up the overheat curve while the Hayden engages right at that curve's beginning.

In that sense I think doc4444 has a point - a fan clutch that kicks in high in the heat curve will have a hard time reducing temperature and may not be able to do so at all as long as the engine is under heavy load.

Bottom line - if I was to retain or replace a KJ clutch engaged fan on a limited budget the first thing I'd do is toss the junk OEM fan clutch and install a Hayden for the durability and earlier engagment. If I had some extra $s I might consider the nylon fan if only for the lighter weight but then I might save those $s toward an OME lift.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

papaindigo wrote:
warp2diesel, I do enjoy, no sarcasm intended or implied, your posts but would put a slightly different spin, sorry, on this. IMHO, setting aside the durability issue with respect to the OEM fan clutch, the heat rise problem is not related all that much to how much air the 2 different fans move. Absent data I'm inclined to believe GDE that the nylon fan moves less but I'm not sure it matters. What matters is when in the heat cycle the fan clutch engages. As I understand it the OEM clutch engages fairly high up the overheat curve while the Hayden engages right at that curve's beginning.

In that sense I think doc4444 has a point - a fan clutch that kicks in high in the heat curve will have a hard time reducing temperature and may not be able to do so at all as long as the engine is under heavy load.

Bottom line - if I was to retain or replace a KJ clutch engaged fan on a limited budget the first thing I'd do is toss the junk OEM fan clutch and install a Hayden for the durability and earlier engagment. If I had some extra $s I might consider the nylon fan if only for the lighter weight but then I might save those $s toward an OME lift.

If I were on a limited budget with lots of time on my hands, I might do likewise. Since what I have the most limited is Home time due to my extensive traveling for my work, I want to do it right the first time. One person who participated in the KJ post, replaced the fan clutch only first with the Hayden severe duty and then went back and replaced the fan with the plastic fan and noticed even lower engine temps with the heat and humidity being the same. Since this guy is a Retired Engineer who shared his data with me personally beyond what was posted in the forums, I ordered the plastic fan and did both at the same time.
For the first time after I did it, I heard my wife complain about the AC being too cold with the temp over 95F, that is good enough for me.
We can all agree the OEM fan clutch is the Bottom of the Barrel fan clutch and the '05 OEM fan clutch is worse than the '06 OEM fan clutch. Hayden did a great job with the severe duty fan clutch and all the evidence points out that Chrysler sharpened their pencil too sharp and knocked electrons off the molecules that make up the paper. :ROTFL:
Since part of my work (failure analysis) is pointing out flawed engineering assumptions when they don't work, I must have though I still had my Hard Hat on even though it is out in the rental car. :-)r
What I want is high reliability in any of my mods or upgrades.

Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:47 pm 
LOST Addict

warp2diesel wrote:
Let me see, the Bean Counter Engineered fan clutch with the plastic fan would not move as much air as the steel fan with the Bean Counter Engineered fan clutch. Further more the first fan clutches used on the '05s were worse than the '06 fan clutches as have been reported by several members. I would have to assume since I was not there, that Chrysler used the Bean Counter Engineered fan clutch in their development. Can someone verify my assumption?

For sure the fan clutch is not heavy duty. It was designed to have lower resistance when the clutch is disengaged to provide better fuel economy. The lockup curve is set high to help get the advertised EPA fuel economy rating. This ends up sacrificing clutch longevity as it undersized to begin with. Most manufacturers complete the severe duty testing with locked "on" fan clutches to avoid a clutch failure during the test process...funny! The clutch design probably works satisfactory for 70% of the CRDs doing light duty. The Hayden is for sure better for towing rigs based on comments here, not having seen or tested it. Is the Hayden unit much heavier than the stock? If it is, then the plastic fan might be a better compromise due to having less weight. The unsprung cantilevered mass should not increase much or it may affect the hub bearing life. That bearing is by no means overengineered.

Had they put their jar of ISO Approved serial numbered etched beans into the drawer which they use for counting when they designed the cooling fan/fan clutch assembly and, instead used the Hayden Heavy severe duty fan clutch, they would have gotten it right the first time.
According to the observations in this post on KJ, the plastic fan with the Hayden Severe duty fan clutch moves more air than the stock setup, having done so myself, I must agree. http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48653

If the metal fan moves more air with the '05 fan clutch that turned out to be junk compared with the '06 fan clutch, does anyone even care? :ROTFL:

You would only care if towing a heavy load up a 6% grade, mainly people out west. The overheat protection on the engine ends up dropping the vehicle max speed by 8-10mph if at wide open throttle for 20+ minutes. It would mean going from 46mph to 38mph.

Did the metal blades conduct more heat into the fan clutch to get it to turn on sooner? :ROTFL:

For anyone who does care, they should mount manometers in front of the grill and in the engine compartment to check the differential pressure going up the mountain in 100F heat pulling 5000# load. Do the test under the same conditions with both the '05 fan clutch and metal fan Vs the Hayden severe duty fan clutch and plastic fan. Of course post the results for all of us to see.

I would bet the Hayden severe duty with the plastic fan will do better and the engine temp will be cooler. Use the Hayden severe duty clutch and plastic fan, you have the best of both.

The engine runs cooler because the Hayden clutch must have more drag when unlocked. This should spin the fan faster in most normal driving conditions. When the Hayden is unlocked the plastic fan will use less power than the metal fan, so that should help if using the Hayden. In unlocked states fan drag can be 1-5 hp depending on design, when locked the power can be 10-15hp or more depending on application (automotive).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

uuummmhh... in an engineering based organization - someone somewhere has a Fan curve
i.e. the volume of air pumped by RPM - maybe even some extra lines for horsepower / pressure drops - things like that..... any chance of seeing those for the 02 11 bladed plastic fan vs the 05/06 5 bladed metal fan????

otherwise - folks tend to draw conclusions from anecdotal data.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Must be an ISO 900X controlled document stored away on a secrete hard drive in a data center. Unless Chrysler buys the fan from a vendor, then the information might be accessible on a sales brochure.
Fan curves might be fun to look at.
Of course lots of curves are fun to look at.

Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:12 pm 
LOST Member

Hi
Is there a consensus as to a fan / clutch combo for normal street use as well as some off road use? I work my Jeep pretty hard as a Rural / mountain WiFi installer and I hate to see that temp gauge needle rise while on the highway with the air conditioner on. I'm thinking of just doing the clutch- http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Jeep/Liberty/Hayden/Fan_Clutch/2005/Limited/4_Cyl_2-dot-8L/HY2905.html
Hayden Fan Clutch - Heavy-duty thermal $63.96

Suggestions?
Brian Rodgers

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:46 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think folks with the Hayden are impressed -it engages at an air temp of 170 instead of 200 - so the engine stays cooler
(and a fair number of the original fan clutches are dead and don't engage at all)

I do think your price is a bit high - people were ordering through Oreilly's or Advance for mid fifties.

the question is on the Fan - the Fan curve may be too much - but maybe they could identify the 'plastic' fan - was it the 02 11 blade version - or a later style?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:49 am 
LOST Addict

So there is more than one type of plastic fan?

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:56 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When RetMil was looking at it - apparently they discontinued the 11 blade version after 02.
Since they didn't discontinue the heavy duty package for the V6's - there's got to be something else
(although I haven't looked at enough V6's to know - it's a conclusion based on what people are posting)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

From what I've seen the consensus, for those who want to keep a clutched fan, is to 1) replace the existing clutch with a Hayden 2905 and 2) to consider also replacing the metal fan with the nylon one part #52079654AE if only for lighter spinning mass. There is some feeling that the 2005 clutch is worse than the 2006 one, I have no opinion on this topic as the part numbers are the same but manufacture quality may not be the same. Certainly replacing the stock clutch is a good inexpensive proactive move as 1) the stock clutch is a known weak point and 2) the Hayden cuts the fan on earlier in a heat rise curve which is a good thing.

Two added thoughts: 1) generally speaking if you experience an indicated heat rise (temp gauge above midpoint) you need to check for fan clutch problems (FSM has a test method outline or if the engine temp gets up there then open the hood and see if the mechanical fan is in full spin mode, it's loud) but 2) you also need to double check actual temp at the tstat with an infrared thermometer (Amazon not too pricey or possible loan from line AutoZone) as some temp gauges are not set right, see http://www.greendieselengineering.com/f ... st/19.page .

If you want to go with a fixed fan then see kap's mode at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=51618&hilit=fixed

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:25 am 
LOST Member

Cool thanks I don't mean to hijack the thread I realise this is about fans more than their clutches, so I do appreciate the step backwards letting me know. Indeed I will be doing the minimum for the time being. My wife just totalled the Isuzu Pup I installed a new engine and numerous other parts in, last year. She is bruised, otherwise alright, now we need a another vehicle and that is stretching our finances and time all over again. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Glad your wife is okay Boss.
trucks and Jeeps are replaceable.....

(and the Liberty will give a lot more protection than an Isuzu)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just maybe the bean counters were thinking of MPG. This and all vehicles Chrysler makes are primarily for on road use. If you need to modify to suit your need sounds like a good idea!

I am just thankful they built the thing in the first place. At least I now have some thing to work with. No other current MFG offers anything I can afford.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:40 am 
LOST Junkie

The fan part no. is now 52079654AD, and most places online seem to be selling it at about $53 (give or take a little). That is the gasser fan for 2002-7.

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm on my second 2 weeks camping trip this year and prior to hit the road I install the Hayden viscous clutch and the 11 blades nylon fan (OEM towing package for a 2002 AKA severe duty) This is a amazing combo, I climb several long road elevation in the Appalache with my 3000pds camping gear behind and never worry a second about overheating. EGT drop a lot faster a iddle so less time is need to cool the turbo before cutting the ignition. The severe duty viscous clutch from Hayden almost never engage in normal driving condition so using a lighter nylon fan with a more efficient viscous is just a very smart solution to the crappy OEM solution DC engineers came with.

If you believe they are so good at testing, explain me why all 545RFE have pump problem? (sooner or later) Why all CRD US spec torque fail? Why the recall on all upper ball joint? And cabin fan resistor burning? Go ahead convince me they have done a good job or add several others issues to the list... Damler Chrysler get under bankrupcy why? Because they have several "Cancer" doing things the wrong way at every stage of management, productions and services. Customers are not fool and geting back your reputation in the car industries is not a easy task.

Lucky we got forum like this one and smart people to find solution to the CRD issues, without them this version of the Liberty may almost been only found in junlyard at this date like "Pacer" "Lada" "Skoda" to name a few...

Samco/OME/Bilstein/JBA4.5/Mattech BTA Machined trans valve body
/BF rugged terrain 245/75/16 on MOAB

ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I don't worship at the feet of engineers but I wouldn't totally blame them for these sort of problems. Blame needs to largely be placed at the feet of the bean counters who want to trim every last $0.00001 of cost out of the vehicle build price to reduce its cost point and increase profits and secondly to the questionable steps taken to meet emissions and CAFE requirements. Could they have installed a Hayden and the nylon fan in the first place, YES, would it have been consistent with emissions and CAFE, PROBABLY, would it have added say $5 to the cost of the vehicle, PROBABLY, hence you can see the decision coming from the bean counters.

I've owned a variety of vehicles both foreign and domestic and can say with confidence that every single one of them would have been significantly improved by ca. $100 more in various parts on the assembly line instead of $2,000 for the same parts after the fact.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

papaindigo wrote:
I don't worship at the feet of engineers but I wouldn't totally blame them for these sort of problems. Blame needs to largely be placed at the feet of the bean counters who want to trim every last $0.00001 of cost out of the vehicle build price to reduce its cost point and increase profits and secondly to the questionable steps taken to meet emissions and CAFE requirements. Could they have installed a Hayden and the nylon fan in the first place, YES, would it have been consistent with emissions and CAFE, PROBABLY, would it have added say $5 to the cost of the vehicle, PROBABLY, hence you can see the decision coming from the bean counters.

I've owned a variety of vehicles both foreign and domestic and can say with confidence that every single one of them would have been significantly improved by ca. $100 more in various parts on the assembly line instead of $2,000 for the same parts after the fact.

Bean Counters = Centavo Wise and Mega Buck Foolish.

Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:38 pm 
LOST Addict

OldSkull wrote:
I'm on my second 2 weeks camping trip this year and prior to hit the road I install the Hayden viscous clutch and the 11 blades nylon fan (OEM towing package for a 2002 AKA severe duty) This is a amazing combo, I climb several long road elevation in the Appalache with my 3000pds camping gear behind and never worry a second about overheating. EGT drop a lot faster a iddle so less time is need to cool the turbo before cutting the ignition. The severe duty viscous clutch from Hayden almost never engage in normal driving condition so using a lighter nylon fan with a more efficient viscous is just a very smart solution to the crappy OEM solution DC engineers came with.

If you installed the Hayden clutch and nylon fan at the same time, it's impossible to tell which one is giving you the perceived benefit. To me it looks like the nylon fan has more blades but less pitch and less depth. I don't see how it would move more air.