It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My road to 100k. LONG LIST! No major issues though
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:13 pm 
LOST Junkie

Well, I made my final payment last month, and I'm changing my oil today at 100500k while reflecting back on where she's been since mile 91 when I bought her new. I've recorded every item I've worked on. I'm also thinking that once I type this my car will die. I'm going to knock on wood. I also went through a period where I checked this site every day because I thought she would explode in a ball of fire... That hasn't happened yet but that may be soon after I post.

-I've changed the oil every 6-9k miles. Mobil 0W 40 every time.
-K&M air filter for 50K then regular since.
-I've used a fuel additive (power service) about 10% of the time.
-I've replaced the CAC hoses with samco about 40k ago.
-I've had the same torque converter but the F 37 at 30k
-Original fuel filter head, but I have the new one in the garage (never got around to the swap)
-I've had the GDE Eco tune since 80k and I love it. I just hit 30 mpg this month for the first time ever. In the summer I can get 27. The winter fuel and my short drives to work gets me 23-25 mpg.
-Original battery (after dealership replaced the red top when it wouldn't start on the lot back in 2005.
-Only changed the accesory belt once (oops. It needs to go again soon)
-One thermostat replaced
-One trans controler change under warranty
-2nd set of tires
-4 dif fluid changes and one TC fluid change.
-3rd set of pads and 2nd set of rotors.
-Rear hatch frame repainted due to rust around tail light and hinges.
-Cleaned the map sensor about five times until GDE Eco tune. I guess I should check it today.

THINGS I NEED TO DO.
-Timing belt needs to go
-I have been getting shudder on certain hills at 55-59 mph. I suspect the torque converter is going, and I've NEVER changed the trans fluid.
-There is oil dripping down the driver's side of the engine, can't tell yet where it's coming from but it doesn't hit the driveway.
-There is a little oil running down the return tube from the turbo... I'm a little worried about that.
-I have a little grime around the bottom driver's side intercooler. I'm afraid I have cracked it. I can hear more whistling and I had thought it was the turbo. I think it could be the intercooler.
-front drive shaft has a blown boot. It's had a hole for two years, and I just keep packing it with grease. I hope it can last a 2nd Michigan winter.

All in all, I say it's a good Jeep. I don't get to lay down black smoke anymore (GDE Eco tune), but I can still blow people off the line. I've never been stuck (until I hit submit) and it's not cost me too much money. My 04 Envoy has cost me a lot more, but I didn't buy it new. I'm glad that I've bought it. It's been fun, and I plan on keeping it for many many years.

Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner

Post subject: Re: My road to 100k. LONG LIST! No major issues though
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:29 pm 
LOST Junkie

Big Montana wrote:
Well, I made my final payment last month, and I'm changing my oil today at 100500k while reflecting back on where she's been since mile 91 when I bought her new. I've recorded every item I've worked on. I'm also thinking that once I type this my car will die. I'm going to knock on wood. I also went through a period where I checked this site every day because I thought she would explode in a ball of fire... That hasn't happened yet but that may be soon after I post.

-I've changed the oil every 6-9k miles. Mobil 0W 40 every time.
-K&M air filter for 50K then regular since.
-I've used a fuel additive (power service) about 10% of the time.
-I've replaced the CAC hoses with samco about 40k ago.
-I've had the same torque converter but the F 37 at 30k
-Original fuel filter head, but I have the new one in the garage (never got around to the swap)
-I've had the GDE Eco tune since 80k and I love it. I just hit 30 mpg this month for the first time ever. In the summer I can get 27. The winter fuel and my short drives to work gets me 23-25 mpg.
-Original battery (after dealership replaced the red top when it wouldn't start on the lot back in 2005.
-Only changed the accesory belt once (oops. It needs to go again soon)
-One thermostat replaced
-One trans controler change under warranty
-2nd set of tires
-4 dif fluid changes and one TC fluid change.
-3rd set of pads and 2nd set of rotors.
-Rear hatch frame repainted due to rust around tail light and hinges.
-Cleaned the map sensor about five times until GDE Eco tune. I guess I should check it today.

THINGS I NEED TO DO.
-Timing belt needs to go
-I have been getting shudder on certain hills at 55-59 mph. I suspect the torque converter is going, and I've NEVER changed the trans fluid.
-There is oil dripping down the driver's side of the engine, can't tell yet where it's coming from but it doesn't hit the driveway.
-There is a little oil running down the return tube from the turbo... I'm a little worried about that.
-I have a little grime around the bottom driver's side intercooler. I'm afraid I have cracked it. I can hear more whistling and I had thought it was the turbo. I think it could be the intercooler.
-front drive shaft has a blown boot. It's had a hole for two years, and I just keep packing it with grease. I hope it can last a 2nd Michigan winter.

All in all, I say it's a good Jeep. I don't get to lay down black smoke anymore (GDE Eco tune), but I can still blow people off the line. I've never been stuck (until I hit submit) and it's not cost me too much money. My 04 Envoy has cost me a lot more, but I didn't buy it new. I'm glad that I've bought it. It's been fun, and I plan on keeping it for many many years.

Congrats on the 100k! I have about 116,000 on mine and I still like it. I am like you, when ever I post something good and start talking about it I feel like its going to give me trouble again. I Have done a few things to it, need to make up a list like yours but a short one looks like this:
-timing belt and everything that goes with it..
-GDE (like it!)
- CCV mod
-replaced the intake boot
-lots of rear ABS sensor issues
-one of the main wiring harnesses (by alt) rubbed into the alternator bracket and needed repair
-updated glow plugs to 7v
- a few other things I can't think of right now.

I am also in southeast MI so if you don't have anyone that can help with the timing belt job I may be able to give you a hand. I did it by my self, it was not fun but also not crazy difficult.. it was more nerve racking then anything.
I also know of a shop in Dearborn (we are on a first name basis cause of all the wiring and ABS wiring issues) that is very good with drive-ablitly, he can get into the computers of our crazy jeep and is very reasonable on price. I have autoenginuity but have yet to buy they Chrysler pack so thats not much help ha.

-05 Dark Khaki Limited CRD. GDE ECO tune. In-tank lift pump, Transgo doo doo kit, B&M trans cooler, replaced trans solenoid pack and filters, Newer Michelin tires, Timing belt with all related parts replaced at 110,000miles.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

I live downriver... we should have a SE MI CRD G2G! lol, all three of us!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:58 pm 
LOST Junkie

I know that there are several more CRDs near me. I'm close to the Chrysler Tech Center. GDE is near here too. I drove to Keith's place to get the Eco tune. We could have quite the SE Michigan club.

Thanks painemann. I am looking to get the belt done. I bought the Jeep at Golling, and they quoted me $1400+ for the belt and water pump. They can't get me the euro TC though. I don't think I have the time to do the change myself. I guess I should really add up how much I would save and take a day off of work.

Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

Big Montana wrote:
I know that there are several more CRDs near me. I'm close to the Chrysler Tech Center. GDE is near here too. I drove to Keith's place to get the Eco tune. We could have quite the SE Michigan club.

Thanks painemann. I am looking to get the belt done. I bought the Jeep at Golling, and they quoted me $1400+ for the belt and water pump. They can't get me the euro TC though. I don't think I have the time to do the change myself. I guess I should really add up how much I would save and take a day off of work.

I know you said you already did the thermostat but I would suggest replacing everything while your in there, the tensioner and idler's along with the water pump and belt. I parts cost me around $600 but I forget, check out jeepcarparts1.com they are the same dealer as moparpartsonline but when I called the dealer he gave me the other site and for some reason it was a little cheaper.
Maybe we could get a few more CRD's around here and have a little meet ha. I am also downriver, I also met up with Keith to get my tune and pick up the timing belt tools!

-05 Dark Khaki Limited CRD. GDE ECO tune. In-tank lift pump, Transgo doo doo kit, B&M trans cooler, replaced trans solenoid pack and filters, Newer Michelin tires, Timing belt with all related parts replaced at 110,000miles.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ugh, youve never changed the trans fluid! Ive changed mine twice. Once at 34,000 and again at 70,000 miles. Sadly the auto trans is probably the most neglected important piece of equipment on our trucks today. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:07 pm 
LOST Junkie

CRD Joe wrote:
Ugh, youve never changed the trans fluid! Ive changed mine twice. Once at 34,000 and again at 70,000 miles. Sadly the auto trans is probably the most neglected important piece of equipment on our trucks today. Good luck.

it was one of those deals where i was going to wait until the TC swap, but I never got to it. I have worried, but it seems ok. My brother was a trans guy for Chrysler, and the fluid was meant to be a lifetime fluid. I don't tow, and I don't beat on it. I know that it needs to go soon though.

Build Date 1/05
200k miles.
Original Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It sounds like youll be fine.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Painemann, I like your list! Did you ever resolve the rear ABS issues.. I am having ABS light on with no odometer readings now.. Checked all wiring visually for pinches and scuffs and no luck. Any Ideas? Thanks

2015 Grand Cherokee CRD Limited 50K, GDE Hot Tune, Hers and she loves it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Smacker you may want to wait for a response from Painemann but based on other strings on the sensor type problem my bet would be on the single rear sensor on the 2005 model. There are several posts that indicate the wiring to that sensor is rather fragile and prone to invisible failure inside the insulation. What I don't, offhand, know is how to test for that failure.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:27 pm 
LOST Junkie

Smacker wrote:
Painemann, I like your list! Did you ever resolve the rear ABS issues.. I am having ABS light on with no odometer readings now.. Checked all wiring visually for pinches and scuffs and no luck. Any Ideas? Thanks

As already stated it is hard to test for this issue. If I had to put my money on it I would put it all on the wiring the runs down to the speed sensor over the rear diff. Believe it or not mine has been repaired 4-5 times, so much I have lost track. I replaced the pigtail once my self and it worked for a few thousand miles and then it went out again. I took it into a shop near me where I know a guy who is great with wiring and the computer systems and he replaced it again further up stream. Went out again and it was the wiring again and then the speed sensor itself went. By this time I have up trying to figure it out my self because he has the scope and other equipment to fix it fast, cheaper then me cussing and throwing sensors at it! The replaced sensor failed again a month ago and he replaced it under warranty. Fun stuff.

I would start by havinging someone sit in the jeep and go under the jeep and just wiggle the wires to the sensor, the abs light might flicker or even go off. The wires like to get weak right at the back of the connector that clips to the speed sensor. If you can get it try and find a good shop and point them in the right direction. The hard part wil be finding a shop that can/is willing to hook up to our crazy jeeps.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

papaindigo wrote:
Smacker you may want to wait for a response from Painemann but based on other strings on the sensor type problem my bet would be on the single rear sensor on the 2005 model. There are several posts that indicate the wiring to that sensor is rather fragile and prone to invisible failure inside the insulation. What I don't, offhand, know is how to test for that failure.

Use an ohmnmeter to test each wire, stick a very thin sewing needle 12" in back from the connector in each wire and use the ohmnmeter probes to test, twist and move the connector while testing. The break is usually near and inside the connector..... invisible. Replace wires and connector.

Don't cross wires.