It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cruise Control (Speed Control): Check Your Brake Lamps
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:09 am 
LOST Junkie

Thanks to the forum discussion, when my cruise control stopped working, I checked for bad brake lamps, and found one. Replacing the lamp fixed the inoperative cruise control. The symptom was that cruise speed couldn't be set, even though the cruise control light illuminated.

Post subject: Re: Cruise Control (Speed Control): Check Your Brake Lamps
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:53 pm 
LOST Member

Wobbly,

This is just wild. I can't imagine why anyone would make up a circuit like that. As I've said before, I'm not too worried about catastrophic engine failure. I am concerned with innumerable quirks just like this.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Electrical oddities are not limited to our vehicles or even modern computer controlled vehicles. Way back in the late 1960's I had a vehicle whose blinkers would malfunction if a headlight bulb burned out which was way strange as they were on diffierent parts of the wiring harness and run thru different fuses.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

Wobbly wrote:
Thanks to the forum discussion, when my cruise control stopped working, I checked for bad brake lamps, and found one. Replacing the lamp fixed the inoperative cruise control. The symptom was that cruise speed couldn't be set, even though the cruise control light illuminated.

Yes this does sound weird but it could be that the circuitry is testing for current going through the brake lights when the brake pedal is depressed....no current?....maybe the brake switch is not working!.....better disable cruise control to be on the safe side!

If you say it worked for you then it is worth other users bearing this fix in mind if they have a similar problem. :?

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:00 pm 
LOST Member

To add to this oddity, I was having the same problem, cruise light would come on but I could not set my cruise. Ended up being the factory tail light converter for my trailer light harness. Replaced the wire harness and all was back in order.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

METCRD wrote:
To add to this oddity, I was having the same problem, cruise light would come on but I could not set my cruise. Ended up being the factory tail light converter for my trailer light harness. Replaced the wire harness and all was back in order.

It's a safety feature to make cruise inop with bad brake lights(and/or trailer light controller).

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:05 pm 
LOST Member

Interesting

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:45 am 
LOST Newbie

My cruise control has not worked for years. My original brake light housings fell apart and had to be replaced. I recently had my trailer light wiring replaced and all the lights work. Still, the cruise control does not engage. Took it to a trusted auto electric shop and they said all the wiring and devices checked out OK. They suspected the ECM / Brain. Took it to the FCA Stealership and they charged me $109 diagnosis to say it needs a new ECM for $1,400.00. I called GDE and they said to bring it by and they will check it out for me. CRAZY amount of time and effort, but is SUCKS not having cruise control on long highway runs!

Dropped an exhaust valve at 205k - Trying to determine if it’s worth buying a replacement engine.