It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2005 Liberty CRD Very Jerky Gear change / Auto Tranmission
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:45 am 
LOST Newbie

Recently purchased a 2005 KJ Liberty Sport CRD with auto transmision, goes great. But the more I drive it the more I have noticed a very jerky gear change from 2nd to 3rd.
Changes from 1st to 2nd just fine, and from 3rd to 4th as smooth as.
It is like it hesitates and then jams it in to 3rd.Have recently had the transmision serviced new oil & both filters.
Has any body had this problem, and what was the cause.
The car did not have a service history,eg log books when I bought it. So I had a major service done straight away, motor including timming belt because it had 155k on the clock, transmission, front & rear diff & transfer case fluids.
So I did not drive it much before the work was done.
I have not had a 4x4 before, but I needed to tow a trailer and the jeep seemed a good choice.
This might just be the way a 4x4 changes, it may not be as smooth as a normal car.
So that is why I asked the question.
I could take take it back to the dealer and they find nothing and the bill will be huge.
I read on another forum that the transmission is controlled by a ECU, and sometime this software has to be updated, as some
factory recall, do you know anything about this.

Post subject: Re: 2005 Liberty CRD Very Jerky Gear change / Auto Tranmissi
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:53 pm 
LOST Junkie

If the rough shift is at 35mph with very light throttle applied, yes it seems to be a common annoyance. Both of my CRDs do it. I have just learned to avoid it by applying more throttle during that shift point.

#1 CRD, 174,000 miles. Eco tune, Samco hoses. Mobil1 0-40w used since day one
#2 CRD 143,000 miles. Bought used (unknown history) with 100,000 miles. Samco hoses.
Eco tune, new rockers, and 5 volt glow plugs installed at 124,000 miles

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just noticed the same thing on my 05 last night. I had a realy bad trany shutter problem on a 05 Honda and Amsoil Trans fluid completely fixed that particular Torque Converter shuttering at low RPM lugging. Iv just ordered the Trans filter stuff to do a complete 3 change flush. It just might fix the jerky up shift..... we will see.

Massy 1010
8 KW DI Diesel Gen set
My beloved oil hammers....

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:45 pm 
LOST Addict

This trans behavior is NOT normal. If it was not doing it PRIOR to the trans service, that's your problem. If the problem started AFTER the trans service AND OEM factory filters were NOT used, I can virtually guarantee you that if you put in OEM Jeep filters (i.e. from a dealer) and you use genuine ATF+4 fluid (NOT "universal"), your problem will go away. If factory filters and fluid were used, there are a variety of things that can be wrong that don't require tearing the gearbox apart, but you will need an expert to diagnose. (I don't believe anyone has found a scanner other than STARSCAN that can read trans codes on the KJ CRD.)

BTW, this is not occurring due to "out of date" software.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:38 am 
LOST Newbie

Thank you for your reply. I did not drive the car much before I had the major service done.
Genuine ATF+4 fluid and genuine filters were definetly fited, I asked the question.
When you say I need an expert to dignose the problem, you mean the dealer service dept again.
I was trying not to use the dealer service dept, as I feel their charges are over the top.
Regards Rob

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:44 am 
LOST Addict

It won't cost that much for a STARSCAN scan. You can then take it wherever you want. Without checking the codes, it will be almost pure guesswork and will not be cheap. Scanning is no guarantee of a correct diagnosis, but is what I would do if in your position and without warranty.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP