It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Etecno 7v glow plug bulk order - looking for volunteer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I just got a reply from Cristiano to my email of yesterday regarding ordering. At this time Etecno does not have a US/Canada supplier but they do have an international supplier. The list price is Euro $36.30 per plug ($48.97 US as of right now) + shipping (for comparison the best US deal on the 5v OEM plugs mail order with a DIY install and dealer ECU reflash is going go be on the order of $235 US). There are various discounts thru their current supplier (10% for 4+; 20% for 15+ and 30% for 50+) and you can apparently get a discount (not sure what that translates to in real $s) on Italian taxes if you supply a valid US tax ID #. Christiano says the maximum discount works out to a final per plug cost of $32 US per plug + shipping (I have no idea what shipping cost is; the best I can say is the postage on a 12"x12"x5.5" USPS priority mail flat rate box is $58.50).

He also says we can order directly from Etecno1 at a lower but not specified price but Etecno would need a tax id number and a minimum order around 1000 US$. I know at first glance that sounds like a lot but do the math it's ONLY 8 sets of 4 or so depending on the actual Etecno1 price ordering direct.

So bottom line is there a forum member with a tax ID number that's willing to place a bulk order (I'd assume with prepayment via PayPal) and reship the plugs once received?

To get the ball rolling on quantity I need 8 (4 for me and 4 for stoutdog) and maybe 4 more for mikeonabike.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

Post subject: Re: Etecno 7v glow plug bulk order - looking for volunteer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:43 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I'm surprised that they would be having a tax question on an international shipment, but our social security number is also a tax id number if you are a self-owned business.

Maybe Keith would be willing to add these to his lineup as he is already set up in this respect?

I'm having great results from mine, the CRD has been starting perfectly normal even as the temps have dipped. If I don't wait to start from putting the key in, cranking could be as much as 6 seconds before firing, or 2 seconds if I count 10 after key on. This is the same performance as with the ceramics, at ambient temps in the 40s or 50s.

What I have noticed is that since my fuel pump broke (another story) the fuel head has been more prevalent with air intrusion and that has increased the crank time to about 4-5 seconds, whether I wait to start or not. Gotta fix that this week.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

ill need a set evantually might as well get them while they are cheap.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Stay tuned, Keith at GDE says he is in contact with Etecno1 about distribution.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I haven't seen a code yet, but mine sure does crank slower the colder it is (also running original Red Top) so depending on time line, I'd probably buy a set to prevent me from being stranded in a parking lot when it gets below freezing

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:22 pm 
LOST Member

I got the code and would be interested in a set of 4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

arengant wrote:
I haven't seen a code yet, but mine sure does crank slower the colder it is (also running original Red Top) so depending on time line, I'd probably buy a set to prevent me from being stranded in a parking lot when it gets below freezing

Look into a battery replacement, just did on mine and it made a sure difference when starting on those cold mornings! I replaced it with a Deka Eliminator, but you do have a wider choice on your side of the border :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'd take a set.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:25 pm 
LOST Member

The thought of a broken plug while on the freeway terrorizes me. I would like to get a set, will keith have them?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:56 am 
LOST Addict

This is a bit disappointing considering the original promise:

(viewtopic.php?f=5&t=62346) "The glow plug has been specifically designed to have a longer lifespan and be cheaper then the original one."

You could pick up the original for around $30 in 1 off quantities. Looks like you need to buy a few sets of the Etecno1 plug to get anywhere close to this price.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am looking into doing a bulk order as i am active military currently deployed with a british force so if they can get them for me i will be ordering a bunch and will relist them here for sale working on it hope this helps some people. Once I know what i can do i will post up.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DynoPax wrote:
arengant wrote:

Look into a battery replacement, just did on mine and it made a sure difference when starting on those cold mornings! I replaced it with a Deka Eliminator, but you do have a wider choice on your side of the border :mrgreen:

Well I think I jynxed myself, after a slow start this morning, it stalled in street and won't start now. New batty and glow plugs in future!

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dirtmover wrote:
This is a bit disappointing considering the original promise:

(viewtopic.php?f=5&t=62346) "The glow plug has been specifically designed to have a longer lifespan and be cheaper then the original one."

You could pick up the original for around $30 in 1 off quantities. Looks like you need to buy a few sets of the Etecno1 plug to get anywhere close to this price.

A US Importer would not have to charge the VAT tax (~$15each) they charge in Europe.
With some competition among US/Canada suppliers, they will be more apt to be fair with their prices. With one US/Canada supplier, we run a risk of another Penn State Incident.
If Etecnol uses good business sense, they will sell to several suppliers.
RockAuto, Summit, ect would be good choices.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

arengant wrote:
Well I think I jynxed myself, after a slow start this morning, it stalled in street and won't start now. New batty and glow plugs in future!

Check out the Sears P1 :jester: It's rumored it's made by Deka :BANANA:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well, closest store that has batteries was walmart... hard to get around when it won't start! Even jumping didn't help.

The original RedTop was at 11.9 V no load, the new MAXX batter (800 CCA, group 34, 90 bucks) sits at 12.8, enough to start the jeep!

I am going to try the block heater for the first time this winter, but I am still looking forward to glow plugs for those times I am parked away from home!

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

news?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:46 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm waiting to hear from GDE as Keith is in communication with Etecno about distribution and drtydzel who may do a large order; see comments earlier in this string.

Last edited by papaindigo on Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:00 pm 
LOST Member

Any result on this? Need some glow plugs and it is getting cold around here... :banghead:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:50 pm 
LOST Junkie

given the issues with the ceramic plugs, and the fact that IIRC Bosch is not making the OEM GP any more, how does one tell whether the vehicle has 7v (original) or 5v GP systems installed? Obviously, checking the voltage at the GP is one way, but it does not seem as easy as on my D24T.

OK, found a thread that explains just how to find out:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=63337&hilit=glow+plug+light&start=20

SO I guess I am in the market for some new metallic glow plugs.....

2005 Liberty CRD- ARP studs, Fumoto, Hayden FC, inline Tstat, ETechno 7v GP, Platinum P1, in-tank lift pump.
1983 Volvo D24T
1981 Volvo D24
Dodge Cummins TD
Case 580B
Mitsubishi MT180 diesel
Kubota BX25 diesel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You could pull #1 glow plug, it's the easy one with nothing extra to remove for access, and see if it has a metal or ceramic tip. But an easier way is to check with Keith at GDE; I cannot find it but I know he previously posted a how to that involves the color of a band on the plug. Now if the installer of new glow plugs was doing the job correctly they would have noted the new install in perminant ink on the glow plug OEM note stuck to the timing belt cover.