It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Installed Stant 195 thermostat today
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

The STANT #13519 was $8.80 from Rock Auto and it took 2 gallons of Zerex G05, about $16 each from Napa.
Drained the radiator according to instructions found here on LOST. Thanks!!
Drilled a vent hole in the stat, about 1/8" drill or what ever, to eliminate any potential temp spike.
Shoved it in with the housing, bulb sticking out.

I am getting a lot more heat now.

Post subject: Re: Installed Stant 195 thermostat today
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:17 pm 
LOST Member

Wow only 45000 miles. How lucky are you!!! Nice write up. I did the same but i did not drain the whole system because mine was just flushed at the jeep dealer. So i only need to add a little coolent. I see you are from Chicagoland nice too see a fellow CRD in the area. You need to come the next meet and great.

You only love it if you change it!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Did the same thing a couple of weeks ago and now it's running like a charm.... however it takes a bit long to get to the operating temp, once there, there are no spikes, it just stays there :D

I think the 1/8" hole might be the reason it takes a while to get to the correct temp, is yours doing the same?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:44 pm 
LOST Member

I don't have this problem it only takes about 5 minutes to get warm. But i drill a lot smaller hole in my thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:26 am 
LOST Newbie

CRD05il wrote:
I don't have this problem it only takes about 5 minutes to get warm. But i drill a lot smaller hole in my thermostat.

That's what I thought.... What size hole did you drill? Do you have any temp spikes?

Thank you!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:38 pm 
LOST Member

It was a small 1/32 hole just to help even it out. I have not have a single spike at all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

The hole is to help prevent air pockets and aid in refilling the system. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:56 pm 
LOST Member

I DID make sure my hole was at the highs point so it would help get the air out of the system.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:55 am 
LOST Newbie

So i know this reply is a little behind, but is it Really necessary to drain the radiator? I mean cant you just top it off once your done? I am planning on doing this mod maybe tonight or this weekend. Im also worried about the spike issues.... i already drilled an 1/8" hole but as ibhenry said thats not really gonna make a difference for the temp spikes.... if the coolant wants to run hot it will do it even with that tiny sized hole there. BUT regardless im trying to bring the temp up on my crd. The guage right now reads two ticks left of 12 and my OBD reader is saying its only running around 155-160 degrees. Also my mileage WAS about 20mpg mixed and with the new tires its 18mpg.

06 Jeep Liberty CRD Sport 112K miles, Clevis Lift, Front bumper trim, Straight Pipe Exhaust, Open Air Box Mod, PCV Bypass, Cobra CB, Rear Cargo Deck, 6 Lights, Roof Rack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:14 am 
LOST Junkie

Anchorism wrote:
So i know this reply is a little behind, but is it Really necessary to drain the radiator? I mean cant you just top it off once your done? I am planning on doing this mod maybe tonight or this weekend. Im also worried about the spike issues.... i already drilled an 1/8" hole but as ibhenry said thats not really gonna make a difference for the temp spikes.... if the coolant wants to run hot it will do it even with that tiny sized hole there. BUT regardless im trying to bring the temp up on my crd. The guage right now reads two ticks left of 12 and my OBD reader is saying its only running around 155-160 degrees. Also my mileage WAS about 20mpg mixed and with the new tires its 18mpg.

I usually drain about a gallon out, and then refill it when I am done. Only issues I have had is when towing in mountainous regions. No temp spikes here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:38 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A bit of a misunderstanding seems to be creeping in about the purpose of being sure there is a small hole in the skirt of an inline tstat (clear confession - I've participated in this discussion but elected to stick with the OEM tstat when my original OEM went south mainly because messing with the cooling system by installing an inline makes me personally nervous).

On a simple basic tstat installation the skirt hole (old mechanic's trick) was drilled to allow some coolant to pass "thru" the tstat to the radiator at all times. The underlying reason being that if the tstat failed closed (the usual failure mode) and no coolant was going to the radiator the engine would overheat often severely but with the small "bypass" hole that small bit of coolant going to the radiator would be enough to prevent catastrophic overheating (e.g. temp gauge would definitely show overheating but the system would not boil over).

On the CRD's complex tstat housing for whatever reason our tstats fail open or by opening too soon (see Kap's 192 tstat discussion for how our system works) which directs too much coolant away from the bypass directly to the radiator which effectively prevents the engine from reaching full operating temp (as reflected in coolant temp) especially in moderate weather. The purpose of the inline tstat is to override that excess flow to the radiator BUT since the OEM tstat is still in the system and the inline tstat is "off to the side or in a dead end", so to speak, there needs to be some flow of coolant thru the inline tstat as the engine warms up in order for the inline tstat to open in a timely manner. Absent that bypass the inline will tend to open late (temp spike) and may oscillate open/shut until temperatures stabalize. A secondary purpose, which IMHO is not critical, may be to assist in bleeding air out of the system in which case installing the in line tstat with the hole "up" may help. I say this may not help much in bleeding air as the "degas" line is in the CRD tstat housing and open all the time such that as soon as full flow to the radiator is established and the coolant system is up to full pressure all air in the system "should" be vented regardless of the orientation of the inline tstat skirt hole.

When installing the inline tstat there is no reason to completely drain the cooling system although one can elect to do a partial drain (see the Tech section for a handy drain valve tool) to recycle coolant. Alternatively just open the system on a cold engine and do the install, you will only lose a small bit of coolant in which top off when done.

Anchorism - you are definitely running a bit cold which can impact your mpg but so can changing tires even for the same nominal size. You might want to do a GPS check of your odometer (check speedo at the same time as they are independent) to see if you need to apply a correction factor to get an accurate mpg figure.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:19 pm 
LOST Addict

Anchorism wrote:
So i know this reply is a little behind, but is it Really necessary to drain the radiator?

No, when I did my tstat I put one of these large "under the bed" storage boxes under the engine and just pulled the hoses. The top up took about a quart coolant (pre-mixed) and minimal risk of air infiltration. Quick hose down afterwards. I hindsight I would also have removed the skid plate as the coolant had a tendency to pool there along with the bolt I dropped :roll:

Anchorism wrote:
Also my mileage WAS about 20mpg mixed and with the new tires its 18mpg.

A bad thermostat will cost you about 10% in mpg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

I did the install after work today so I'll see how my mpg was affected on my next tank. I topped it off today right after the install calculating 18.5mpg. The thermostat definitely got it up to operating temp and man is my heater a face melter! Kinda nice though... According to my obd reader the hottest it got was 192 for just a brief moment but it stayed pretty consistent at 188. Thanks for the info on this though. I will update my mpg after I burn through the next tank. The tires I went to were only slightly larger. Stock it had the 225/75r16 and I went with 235/70r16 cause of a good deal on discount tire direct. Although I also opened up the air box quite a bit lately so I think that had some to do with it.

06 Jeep Liberty CRD Sport 112K miles, Clevis Lift, Front bumper trim, Straight Pipe Exhaust, Open Air Box Mod, PCV Bypass, Cobra CB, Rear Cargo Deck, 6 Lights, Roof Rack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

I installed the same size tires years ago with no change in MPG.

K&N Air Filter, 2nd gen Fuel filter head
NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
Stant 13519 195 deg inline Thermostat.
0 281 002 845 MAP
Etecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs
Advance Gold 800CCA Battery
Traded it for a Quality VW TDI

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:53 am 
LOST Newbie

I only drained and flushed the radiator because the dealer i bought it from had flush/filled it with common green antifreeze.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:01 am 
LOST Newbie

I am interested in doing this, how is the in-line thermostat held in the hose? Is that the purpose of the two worm clamps? Is it "bulged" in between them to stay in place?

How long did it take you start to finish, and what all tools were needed besides the drill to drill the hole?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:33 pm 
LOST Member

It took me 15 minutes total from start to finish. I had a hose clamp pliers, clamps, screw driver, coolent, and the thermostat. The hose clamp pliers is a great tool. It really helps to get the job done quickly. Then I washed it all off with water to get any coolent the spilled.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:38 am 
LOST Junkie

I did not drill a hole in mine and I have no temp spike issues. Warms up quick (5 mins or so) and stays where it should.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:02 pm 
LOST Member

I'm a bit skeptical about the Stant eventually cutting into the hose.
I think this would be a better solution, long term:
http://www.meziere.com/ps-572-541-wn0072.aspx

They offer this item in 2 diameters and it is available from Summit Racing at a fair price.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:01 pm 
LOST Member

Would a 180F or 195F be better for the CRD? What temperature does the stock T-stat open at?